Author Topic: Bareroot as an investment  (Read 2303 times)

Offline reeb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Bareroot as an investment
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Hi

I plan on purchasing some land and establishing a permaculture homestead in the next couple of years.  As part of the prep work I've been accumulating some tools and equipment that I think would be appropriate.  It recently occurred to me that a good leg up investment would be to purchase year old bareroot trees and bushes and nurse them along on my current suburban property so that when I do purchase the land I will have more mature trees (rather than twigs) to plant.

I was wondering what thoughts are on this strategy?
Given that I'm looking at about 100 trees, what would be the interim potting strategy?  I've seen some done in PVC tubes but that gets rather expensive and tends to root choke.  I'm thinking boxes with each tree in a grow bag about 8" in diameter and 2' high.

Thanks

Offline spud

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Bareroot as an investment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
The only potting method that I can think of is air pruning pots like rootmakers and for that I would use automatic watering system.  That's a big investment but you might think of what is popular in your area and sells for a good price and grow out some bare root and resell em to to recoup your investment. 

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »
This works in the PiPiG systems (Pot in Pot in Ground), with a drip system. However, you'd end up making hundreds of holes in your back yard, not good if you intend to sell the property.

Do you know the lot you're buying? If so, can you start planting it (or the surround area)? Even if it's a nearby park, plant a few hundred saplings. Worst case, you're out $50. But you'll have fortified food in that area, created nearby pollinators for your trees, attracted wildlife, and added to the community. Plus you get a bit of experience.

Offline reeb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
I haven't selected the land yet.  The area I'm looking in is a few hours north of where I'm at, the nursery is an hour further north.  My intent is to have several year old trees, rather than seedlings when I get there.  Yup, a bunch of holes in my yard would not be a selling feature. 

Offline CF.Tree

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Bare root will establish faster than trees with the roots cut ( Balled & Burlap) or that have started bad growing habits in a plastic pot.
You can get smaller bare root plants and grow them out, the challenge I am presuming is where to grow . 
If you put them in soil and can get an " Air Spade" to remove you can keep the root loss to a minimum. Air pruning pots are also a good option. 
There are some who will heel in plants for short term storage to keep many plants alive till they can be properly planted. Some use aged wood chips in mound to decrease root penetration and loss if they are more in the chips than the soil.
Since your over all plan is to transplant it could help keep a compact well formed root system  by repotting or at least root pruning during the dormant season.
Root pruning can be done by circling a tree or plant with a shovel to sever roots . There is data online for diameter of root pruning circle for established trees, though it is recommended to start a year ahead by pruning a percentage not all roots at one time. This allows roots to regrow closer to trunk. In preparation for transplant.

Keep in mind nitrogen fertilizer can encourage more vegetation to form than a stressed root system can support so consider soil amendments based on soil needs.
International Society of Arboriculture has resources that may help also. 

Offline tomboy72

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
My first concern would be how long the trees would remain in the pots.  If you are definitely buying property next year, I'd say go for it.  Any longer than a year and you may be looking at having to repot in a larger container to keep the roots healthy.  Also keep in mind how far you will be transporting them.  100 pots take up a good deal of space when you're moving them.