Author Topic: Urban Carry Holsters  (Read 2635 times)

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Urban Carry Holsters
« on: December 17, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Urban Carry Holsters brand of conceal carry holsters?  Curious to find out what you carry with them and your opinions.

For those that have never heard of them, check out the video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:56:36 PM by CPT Morgan »

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Re: Urban Carry Holsters
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »
It's a creative concept, but I am not completely sold yet. I'll wait and see whether or not it takes off.

(It's kinda like an infomercial making mundane tasks seem difficult)

I'm able to sit down just fine with my current holsters: Crossbreed Super-tuck (IWB) & Blackhawk CQB Serpa (OWB).
I don't even know how you could draw from a Urban Carry Holster while sitting down? It seems like it would only be useful while standing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:32:17 PM by Black November »

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
It's a creative concept, but I am not completely sold yet. I'll wait and see whether or not it takes off.

I'm able to sit down just fine with my current holsters: Crossbreed Super-tuck (IWB) & Blackhawk CQB Serpa (OWB).
I don't even know how you could draw from a Urban Carry Holster while sitting down? It seems like it would only be useful while standing.

I'm with you, which is why I ask.  I think many find it uncomfortable to sit down with other holsters, but I'm not so sure that wouldn't be the case here either.  One of the pitch's I remember hearing was that it was more concealed with a tucked-in shirt, while still making the draw nice and easy.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
Like any holster, I think it depends on the person. I can't imagine carrying that way but have never tried it. My husband is actually intrigued by that holster. Hmmm... maybe I need to buy him one.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Like any holster, I think it depends on the person. I can't imagine carrying that way but have never tried it. My husband is actually intrigued by that holster. Hmmm... maybe I need to buy him one.

That is my dilemma, I don't want to buy it before I try it, unless I here some good stories from others. 

Offline TGOWyoming

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
My boss just purchased one for grins and giggles. We were both interested in seeing if it actually worked as advertised. It doesn't... In fact it's just about the worst holster I've ever used.

I'll start off by saying that the quality is good. It's nice full grain leather, the stitching is solid, the magnets are no joke. Even the concept is plausibly good. However it falls flat in a few very important areas.

The Draw: I was able to quickly and easily access my Glock 19 about 80% of the time. However the butt of the pistol hung up on my belt several times and stopped the draw. My boss was able to successfully draw his Glock 19 2 times out of 17 attempts. I was wearing a pair of Propper STL I pants with a Magpul belt and my boss was wearing a pair of blue jeans with a generic leather belt.

Re-holstering: You have to take the holster off to safely re-holster. Trying to place the pistol back into the holster while it's still on was very difficult and you end up having to point the muzzle at your gut (no bueno).

Drawing from Seated Position: No go. Not gonna happen. The laws of physics can not be broken in such a manner.

Concealment: This is another failure point that could be wardrobe related. I always buy my pants a little large to accommodate my IWB holsters, so take this for what it's worth. Unless you want everyone to thing you're smuggling a banana in your pocket, this holster is not discrete. In fact it's not only obvious, but glaringly so. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it a -7.

Customer Service: This is not a negative, in fact this is a pretty big positive. My boss contacted Urban Carry Holsters and they recommended he continue to wear it for a few more weeks to allow it to break in. They offer a 30 day return policy, and they really want you to be happy with the product. So major kudos to them.

I will be doing a video review and write up on the holster after I return from SHOT Show. If anyone is interested in that, let me know and I'll link to it in a few weeks. I'll have some photos of the poor concealment as well.   

This is just my 2 cents, but I hope it helps.

TL:DR Great company, awful product design.
Everyone makes fun of the guy with a flashlight, until the lights go out.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
Whatever gets more people carrying I'm all for it. I don't think I will be switching to it though.
As for the post above
Man you will probably end up with many holsters you don't use. I have a duffle bad full most guys I know do. Just the nature of the beast.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
  • I don't know what to do, I'm new.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 05:34:47 AM »
Bringing this one back from the recent dead to give my .02, not a lot of recent posts in this EDC section.
I have been carrying with the Urban Carry daily for over a year now with my PT111 G2. It is a great option for those of us who need to carry at work, and not get noticed. I recommended it to a friend who works carries a shield in his to the office. He likes his too.
As mentioned above, you can't draw while driving if needed, that is obviously going to be an issue with this design.
I practice drawing it just 3 times each morning, and I have zero issues with the draw, or the re-holstering, but I don't really have a gut, and could see how it might get in the way. I simply slide the holster up and out to re-holster, then drop it back in after its in the holster.
I think this is a great holster for those of us carrying a sub compact, and can't swing a standard iwb holster. I know my friends single stack shield conceals great. My double stack PT111 prints a little if I wear tighter pants. I could see how the above poster had issues since a G19 is bigger than both the PT111 and shield.
If you are willing to carry a thin pistol and wear looser legged pants, it's a great option.
"You can live a life of discipline, or a life of regret" - Andy Stumpf