Author Topic: Dead Trees  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Skispcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Dead Trees
« on: December 27, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
What are some good uses for dead trees?

I have 40 acres of old growth forest and there are quite a few dead trees hanging around. Many are already down and some need to be taken down before they fall. I intend to pull them out of the forest and into one of the clearings but what should I do with them then?

Seems like a waste to just burn them and I don't need that many hugel beds. Any ideas?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Dead Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:44:03 AM »
Do you know the type of trees?  Size and diameter?  Trees on the ground will often soak up moisture and lose value in a hurry.  Depending on size and type, standing deadwood can have value for firewood or commercial use.  For 40 nice looking standing trees you might get a company to get them for you.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »
Find your local woodworkers guild and sell them. We pay a premium for quality slabs and actual old-growth stuff will fetch a premium. The downed ones are probably not usable, but the standing dead will be.

Or get into woodworking yourself. Live-edge and slab stuff is in vogue right now.

d3nni5

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
Standing dead trees make great firewood, already cured and ready to split.   

BE VERY CAREFUL felling dead trees, they can make a dead man out of you very quickly.   They are less predictable and every branch a widowmaker.

Offline CF.Tree

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
Like may things it depends, some times you are farther ahead getting a 9"+cap chipper and chip where they lay.
Band saw mills can get in to places where you may have a lumber need.
Keep in mind a tree you may see as a hazard only can cause harm if there is a target, so some may be worth flagging as a risk and prevent acess to the area.