Author Topic: Pancake mix  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Pancake mix
« on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:19 PM »
Today I sealed some pancake mix in one gallon mylar bags with 500cc O2 absorbers.  I have the room in my deep freezer to put the bags. 
Is this necessary?  I'm looking at it like this.  The O2A and mylar bag should extend the mix past it's original "best used by date" so if I freeze it I'm extending it even further right?

Thoughts?
FF

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Pancake mix
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
I would say putting them in the freezer is total overkill.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
But the freezer will be more efficient when full and it wouldn't hurt .
I store a large quantity of angel food cake (with egg in the dry mix) to use for many uses (even pancakes) and a favorite is 3-2-1 cake.

I mix the angel food mix and an equal measure of other (I like carrot cake) mix DRY and follow the directions below ...I have 'cooked ' the mix in a cleaned cola can on the manifold of a diesel truck (takes longer than microwave) over a fire as breakfast cake and yes even in a microwave, Most any heat source will do and the dry mix lasts almost forever till needed ...the egg in the angel food mix is the secret to success.

3 - 2 - 1 Cake

In a gallon size zip-lock bag, combine two cake mixes (1 always has to be angel food and other one can be carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange…any kind)…just remember that one HAS to be angel food cake mix that has egg whites in it.

When ready to prepare, use a small microwave safe container and put 3 tablespoons of mix, 2 tablespoons of water, stir and microwave for 1 minute.

3, 2, 1

Top each cake with a dollop of whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.

(Makes 1 serving)

Storage of mix is simple…put it on a shelf in pantry.  No need to refrigerate since the mix is dry.

That could not be easier and creative mixing of other dry cake mixes makes for quick and easy ,yummy treat..GREAT for the BOB.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
I would say putting them in the freezer is total overkill.

Yep..

But pulling them put of the freezer now might lead to condensation, so if you do, watch for it.

Cedar

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
I never thought about vacuum sealing pancake mix? will this last for 10+ years like other things if you use quality mylar bags?

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
But the freezer will be more efficient when full and it wouldn't hurt .
I store a large quantity of angel food cake (with egg in the dry mix) to use for many uses (even pancakes) and a favorite is 3-2-1 cake.

I mix the angel food mix and an equal measure of other (I like carrot cake) mix DRY and follow the directions below ...I have 'cooked ' the mix in a cleaned cola can on the manifold of a diesel truck (takes longer than microwave) over a fire as breakfast cake and yes even in a microwave, Most any heat source will do and the dry mix lasts almost forever till needed ...the egg in the angel food mix is the secret to success.

3 - 2 - 1 Cake

In a gallon size zip-lock bag, combine two cake mixes (1 always has to be angel food and other one can be carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange…any kind)…just remember that one HAS to be angel food cake mix that has egg whites in it.

When ready to prepare, use a small microwave safe container and put 3 tablespoons of mix, 2 tablespoons of water, stir and microwave for 1 minute.

3, 2, 1

Top each cake with a dollop of whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.

(Makes 1 serving)

Storage of mix is simple…put it on a shelf in pantry.  No need to refrigerate since the mix is dry.

That could not be easier and creative mixing of other dry cake mixes makes for quick and easy ,yummy treat..GREAT for the BOB.

I'll try it this weekend along with my other post about cooking eggs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 02:10:27 PM »
I lived off of the 3-2-1 Cake for years while a truck driver as I could make a cake in under 1/2 hour in a coke can and even use the coke as the fluid...
I have some fond memories of those days. :)

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »
Carl, I picked up the mixes tonight, Angel food and Germany chocolate I'll give it a go.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:40:43 AM »
Carl, I picked up the mixes tonight, Angel food and Germany chocolate I'll give it a go.

Sounds yummy,but maybe not for breakfast.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 05:48:02 AM »
If I wanted to prep for pancakes, I'd store all the ingredients separately, not the ready made pancake mix.

Commercial mixes are little more than:
Flour
Sugar (often dextrose to enhance browning)
Corn starch
Salt
Soda
SALP & MCP (These are leavening acids. You would use baking powder or, ideally, buttermilk.)
Oil

Why do we keep them apart? Well, first off we really don't need to vacuum seal and freeze salt. It'll be OK. We don't need the corn starch; that's in there as a safeguard for people who overmeasure liquids. We really want the soda away from the acids and free fatty acids from the flour. Simply keeping the soda out will dramatically increase shelf life. We're not going to use the commercial canola oil many mixes use which goes rancid faster than harder, more storable fats, and we might even use something like butter or bacon fat to add flavor.

I did R&D work for a few years on one of the best known brands.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:13:03 AM »
If I wanted to prep for pancakes, I'd store all the ingredients separately, not the ready made pancake mix.

Commercial mixes are little more than:
Flour
Sugar (often dextrose to enhance browning)
Corn starch
Salt
Soda
SALP & MCP (These are leavening acids. You would use baking powder or, ideally, buttermilk.)
Oil

Why do we keep them apart? Well, first off we really don't need to vacuum seal and freeze salt. It'll be OK. We don't need the corn starch; that's in there as a safeguard for people who overmeasure liquids. We really want the soda away from the acids and free fatty acids from the flour. Simply keeping the soda out will dramatically increase shelf life. We're not going to use the commercial canola oil many mixes use which goes rancid faster than harder, more storable fats, and we might even use something like butter or bacon fat to add flavor.

I did R&D work for a few years on one of the best known brands.

Exactly.  Pancakes are super simple:
Mix dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar
Mix wet ingredients: milk (can be reconstituted powdered, w/wo powdered buttermilk), eggs (can be powdered), oil/butter.
Mix together.  I think the individual ingredients could all be best preserved longer in the manner best suited for each, rather than storing all of the bulk the way the most perishable needs.

This way you can use your stored supplies with fresh ingredients such as milk, eggs, buttermilk and have super tasty pancakes during normal times.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 05:07:23 AM »
Actually, I bought "add water only" pancake mix for long term storage specifically so I could make pancakes without needing eggs, oil, butter etc ... Of course I have all the "raw" ingredients as well, but i can imagine a lot if situations where being able to just add water & cook would save me time and effort during a difficult situation, be it a short term disaster or a long term situation.  Thin it out more, make "crepes" and you can use it sort of as a wrap for a variety of non breakfast things.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 05:33:30 AM »
Actually, I bought "add water only" pancake mix for long term storage specifically so I could make pancakes without needing eggs, oil, butter etc ... Of course I have all the "raw" ingredients as well, but i can imagine a lot if situations where being able to just add water & cook would save me time and effort during a difficult situation, be it a short term disaster or a long term situation.  Thin it out more, make "crepes" and you can use it sort of as a wrap for a variety of non breakfast things.

From the Betty Crocker website, Shake and Pour contains:

Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Sugar, Leavening (baking soda, monocalcium phosphate, calcium acid pyrophosphate), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Defatted Soy Flour, Dried Egg Whites, Dextrose, Tricalcium Phosphate, Buttermilk , Salt, Soy Lecithin.

So if you have flour, sugar, leavening, fat, and salt you need only add dehydrated eggs and dehydrated buttermilk. It'll take fiddling but once you make a recipe you can improve shelf life with separate storage and have the ability to be flexible should you have eggs, milk/buttermilk, or butter when the need arises. You also have the flexibility to go a little more savory or sweet depending on the final usage. I'm not a pancake eater but with the sugar cut back and some corn and jalapeno maybe...

Check the dates! premixed pancake mix (especially whole wheat) can be really short. It's good well past the date but half the leavening will be eaten (one goes at room temp for an initial fluff and the other at higher temp during frying). So after a year or two the pancakes will be partially deflated. Still edible, though.

I guess it's a matter of preference but I really prefer to keep ingredients "unmixed" as long as possible for storage. Better shelf life, more options.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
  I enjoy the ease of using a premixed pancake or ,in my case,angel food cake mix to make breakfast cakes etc while on the RUN...and when are you not in a rush in the morning? My angel food mix INCLUDES EGG and only needs water and a good shake or kneed ,if in a freezer bag,to mix and make pancakes ,muffins,etc . I use it often enough that a one year old (beyond expire date) is rare ,though a bit of baking powder and it is 'good to go' again ....though my dog sometimes refuses to eat my cooking.. I enjoy the premix and few world ending events will make me change my habit now.

3-2-1 Cake:

1 box of angel food mix (with egg) and 1 box of your choice (I use devils food mix) of another cake mic   combined DRY.

THREE measures of the combined cake mix
TWO measures of water
ONE minute or so in MICROWAVE

Makes a no fuss snack for your friends and family,especially the youngsters.I have even used this mix and some diet cola (yes Coke) to make a truckers cake in a cola can on top of my diesl engine while at a stop to load and unload...Nurses at the hospital thought it was true GENIUS. I make angel food pancakes or muffins with the same method and the mix never gets old...Try angel food mix with freeze dried strawberries or blueberries...YUMM.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
I also don't store a lot of mixes for long term storage... the basic ingredients seem to me to be more versatile... that being said, I do have mixes on the pantry shelf for the short-term use. I tend to stock up when they go on special at the grocery store. These are great for providing a quick dessert for a potluck or unexpected guests...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
I see no reason to put dry mixes in the freezer. Just use rodent proof containers.

My wife makes pancake and waffle mix from scratch, so we don't need to mix and store, or buy boughten mixes. Though we do have some Augason biscuit mixes and such.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
I see no reason to put dry mixes in the freezer. Just use rodent proof containers.

My wife makes pancake and waffle mix from scratch, so we don't need to mix and store, or buy boughten mixes. Though we do have some Augason biscuit mixes and such.

Don't forget the #10 can of FUDGE BROWNIE MIX...great 'happy food'

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Chocolate-Fudge-Brownie/dp/B00FTEU5P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510184612&sr=8-1&keywords=augason+brownie+mix

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »
Oh ya.  :excited: Thumbs up!!! We got one, haven't tried it yet though.

I mix it with milk powder and butter powder and cook it more like a cookie right on top of my stainless steel griddle plate...yumm.