Author Topic: Beans 6 years later  (Read 5105 times)

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Beans 6 years later
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
After they are cooked? Or before?
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 04:36:33 AM »
well, both I guess.

I just got one of those fancy dancy electric pressure canners, specifically for left over soups/chili, etc..

anyone ever can left over ham & bean soup?  Thoughts?  Ideas?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 06:33:01 AM »
  I have had good success with the way my grandmother taught me: Boil bean for 5 to 10 minutes,take from fire (turn off stove) and cover the bean port ,I even cover with an old blanket to retain heat ,and let it sit without need for fire,for 4 to 5 hours... restart and boil/simmer(add meats or spices) for one hour and test as some dry beans take a bit longer to fully cook. This saves fuel and cooks in much less time involved.

I would 'can' cooked beans with as little oxygen in the jars and avoid light and heat for up to six months storage time but I cheat and buy factory canned beans as I can't even beat the cost of, longer storing, factory cooked and canned beans that store years longer than the 'best by date' and require little effort to cook and consume and I have consumed canned (in a real can) store bought beans well over 5 years beyond the 'best by' date code with no noticeable loss of texture,color,or taste I buy then when on sale and usually many cases at a time often for under 30 cents a can. I believe in taking advantage of technology while it is available and find it economical at the same time.

Note that I do have seeds available for when I must grow what I eat but see little reason with current supply so available. I find commercially canned goods acceptable trade off with the availability and economy of factory canned good though also will cook from dried stock when I have time ,and fuel,or when the BOL needs a bit of heat and humidity added.

NOTE that any added fats should not be in the beans as it can really cause jar/seal problems as well as lower storage times...this is why the factory beans are easier and lower cost for my needs. I might suggest a wax seal for longer term storage of home canned products and have used canning wax ,actually paraffin, to keep product fully sealed from air and better storage times.

Just my thoughts on this
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
well, both I guess.

I just got one of those fancy dancy electric pressure canners, specifically for left over soups/chili, etc..

anyone ever can left over ham & bean soup?  Thoughts?  Ideas?

This question should be put over on one of the canning threads, as this thread is about storing dried beans. Probably this thread, http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=53968.0    which is under food preps>>processing food for storage >>custom pressure canning recipes
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »
I have consistently had good results in using beans that are well beyond the normal storage range... However, I always pressure can the beans in jars using Jackie Clay's method (dry beans, salt and boiling water in the jar... then pressure can). I've been using up beans that my parents had in their basement for well over 7 years (no long-term storage method -- just the original burlap bag) and they are fine as long as I pressure can them. Once that is done, I just pull jars of beans for the various recipes and have no issues. In fact, it is time to can more, I think. We are out of my canned black beans on the shelf.  :)

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
I have consistently had good results in using beans that are well beyond the normal storage range... However, I always pressure can the beans in jars using Jackie Clay's method (dry beans, salt and boiling water in the jar... then pressure can). I've been using up beans that my parents had in their basement for well over 7 years (no long-term storage method -- just the original burlap bag) and they are fine as long as I pressure can them. Once that is done, I just pull jars of beans for the various recipes and have no issues. In fact, it is time to can more, I think. We are out of my canned black beans on the shelf.  :)

8) 8) Though we don't have any beans now over about 2 years, I'll look up that method.. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 04:27:35 AM »

The boiling water and extended pre-soak ,while 'canned' in the jars sounds like a great way to success and it allows for less cooking time!

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »

I have googled with no success of Jackie's method. I've found references, but not an actual *here's how I do it*.

Beans enlarge, so how much to put in a quart mason?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
I have googled with no success of Jackie's method. I've found references, but not an actual *here's how I do it*.

Beans enlarge, so how much to put in a quart mason?

As beans enlarge by absorbing liquids from the batch,I don't see that it can go wrong. Just allow for a good bean to liquid ratio.
Just my opinion.

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
As beans enlarge by absorbing liquids from the batch,I don't see that it can go wrong. Just allow for a good bean to liquid ratio.
Just my opinion.

If we can convince the wife about that, we'll be golden.  ;D

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 03:52:03 AM »
Maybe this will help. It claims about 3 1/2 times increase. Doesn't mention the amount of liquid.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/12284/how-much-do-dry-beans-expand-when-soaked
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
Looks like 2-3 times reading your reference.

So the beans are actual size when jarred, then added h water and process.
They will be sucking up water all during the processing...

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
Probably take some experimenting to get the ration right. I can't think of an easy way. Just found this.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_peas_shelled.html
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
 8) 8)

So they presoak them. That swells them before canning

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
Hmm, looks like pre soak, change water, cook briefly, jar and process. But I need new glasses so I might be mistaken.

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
Hmm, looks like pre soak, change water, cook briefly, jar and process. But I need new glasses so I might be mistaken.

New glasses? I thought old buzzards had hawk eyes.  :spit:

Hey I printed that article out. Thanks  ;D

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
New glasses? I thought old buzzards had hawk eyes.  :spit:

They do if they don't screw up their glasses.

Hey I printed that article out. Thanks  ;D

:clap:

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Sorry I didn't see that question sooner about how to can without the pre-soak...

Here is what I have from an article I read by Jackie Clay (I penciled it into my canning book in the bean section):

Dry beans canning:

1/2 to 3/4 c. dry beans in a pint jar
Add 1/2 tsp salt (without iodine -- either pickling or kosher), optional.
Fill with boiling water, leaving 1" headspace. Process 75 min. at proper pressure for your altitude.

I've done this for quart jars also... just double the beans and salt and process for 90 minutes.

Offline marco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
What's the opinion of the canned walmart, (Great Value) 15.5 oz. variety of beans in water? Some have salt, some no salt.  Unfortunately they have gone over to pull tabs to open them.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
  I have been happy with the can beans from Walmart and other brands as I don't want the hassle of canning when I can buy at such low cost and I pretty much ignore the 'best by' dates though I like the ones with salt added as I think they may store longer UNLESS can gets dented as they are lined pretty good.

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
Sorry I didn't see that question sooner about how to can without the pre-soak...

Here is what I have from an article I read by Jackie Clay (I penciled it into my canning book in the bean section):

Dry beans canning:

1/2 to 3/4 c. dry beans in a pint jar
Add 1/2 tsp salt (without iodine -- either pickling or kosher), optional.
Fill with boiling water, leaving 1" headspace. Process 75 min. at proper pressure for your altitude.

I've done this for quart jars also... just double the beans and salt and process for 90 minutes.

Thanks.  8)