Author Topic: brushbeater blog post discussion  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: brushbeater blog post discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
It's a trick question.  If you had the right battle rifle, you can shoot the occupying forces and take their tier one common gear.   :P

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
And answers to the latest question are up: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/03/29/radio-question-3-my-response-of-sorts/
Not that interesting in general, just sort of a "what would you do with this assorted pile of random crap gear" problem.  About all I can summarize that'd be of relevance here is (1) don't discount FRS, it sometimes fits the job; (2) SHTF+1year, odds are you'll still be able to find a few AA batts; (3) you can get some 12v off of scrounged batteries (abandoned cars?  unless they've been salt water flooded) if you have battery clamps w/PowerPole connectors; and (4) PowerPole the world.

(note to self: make up another set or two of clamps-to-PowePole leads.)

It's a trick question.  If you had the right battle rifle, you can shoot the occupying forces and take their tier one common gear.   :P
If it's that bad, I'd probably settle for raiding their food supplies.  Or maybe just eat their brains.  Brains?  Brains!  :zombie:

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
  lead acid batteries would not survive a year of not being charged and discharged
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »
  lead acid batteries would not survive a year of not being charged and discharged

I don't disagree, but more moderate climates seem to extend that duration a small amount in my experience. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 07:30:52 PM »
A downloadable book on NVIS: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/fiedlers-nvis-handbook/

On one hand, 144 pp. of geeky goodness.  Some info about NVIS operation during a sunspot cycle minimum.  On the other hand, it's probably better to stop over-thinking things and just string up a low wire and start talking around your region with it.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
Some discussions on working knowledge, mentoring, theory, practice, and the real world: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/making-things-work-in-the-real-world/  Wraps with an admonition to get out there and actually try using your radios.

Also down in the comments there was a mention leading to a blog about "Backpacking, Camping, Hiking and Radio Adventures" that may be worth a follow: http://www.backcountryjournal.net

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:09 PM »
Semi related, I recently visited a fascinating alpine campground that would be excellent for portable ops.  It's at 2800ft elevation and is a rural air strip with free campsites on either side.  There is over 3000 level feet in a strsight line that one could run a 160 meter dipole if desired.

As a bonus, the elevation still has me within the range of metropolitan VHF repeaters, even though there is no cell coverage.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »
As a bonus, the elevation still has me within the range of metropolitan VHF repeaters, even though there is no cell coverage.
This is really cool, Smurf.  I like the idea of backcountry adventures beyond cell coverage but within VHF repeater range.  It's a nice comfortable middle ground before having to halt, break out the HF rig, and string up a great big wire antenna.

Two new posts up yesterday.  The first is about making HF work in an HOA https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/psyops-notes-on-practical-hf/.  Hats off to the guy for getting on the air under self-imposed adverse conditions, I guess.  The second is about an upcoming event in coastal NC, where ncscout will be teaching a beginner class in license-free off-grid comms https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/heads-up-nc-patcon/.  With barbecue. 8)  That sounds like a practical all-'round course for a lot of people.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
Semi related, I recently visited a fascinating alpine campground that would be excellent for portable ops.  It's at 2800ft elevation and is a rural air strip with free campsites on either side.  There is over 3000 level feet in a strsight line that one could run a 160 meter dipole if desired.

At 2800 feet you should have even better luck with simplex as the line of site range would be 150 miles or so. Perfect place for 2 meter SSB with a modest yagi and horizontal polarity.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?