Author Topic: brushbeater blog post discussion  (Read 28423 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: brushbeater blog post discussion
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2018, 05:01:01 AM »
I'm gonna go with the "a bit better radio."  Not only does this jibe with my 60-vs-Baofeng experiences, it makes me feel better about spending 5x as much for an FT-60 that I hardly ever use, while wishing I had a VX-6R.  ;D

Also, the weather was fair, and no injuries or other incidents.
That's a good day in the outdoors.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »
I'm gonna go with the "a bit better radio."  Not only does this jibe with my 60-vs-Baofeng experiences, it makes me feel better about spending 5x as much for an FT-60 that I hardly ever use, while wishing I had a VX-6R.  ;D
That's a good day in the outdoors.

Here's some photos from my checkpoint.  We do have decent scenery up here (my biased opinion)
https://imgur.com/gallery/wvcvl5d

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
A day well spent, playing radio and standing by to help people.  Nice scenery.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
New post up:
Additions to the Library
  • SF Radio Training STP 31-18E4 (2003)
  • US Special Forces Antenna Manual (1974)
  • ITU Handbook on Emergency Telecom (2005)
  • National Interoperability Field Guide (2014)
  • FCC January_2016_Spectrum_Wall_Chart (you guess date)
All interesting stuff, most of which has been floating around these parts for years (thanks Carl!).  Wouldn't do any harm to review though, since it's out here in front now.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
  My files are now available for anyone who wants to download some items of interest...this is a small part of my ARCHIVE of thousands of magazins and publications that hits the highlights of Prepper materials.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIMFlYMTI5OTNlUTA

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »

Why the RTO Course Exists and A Course Review From The Volunteer State

Even if you never contemplate taking ncscout's class, it's a worthwhile read that clearly distinguishes tactical (or more to the point here, survival) comms from hobby ham operation.  It's also a call to action, to get your skills down while the gettin's still good.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2018, 05:24:45 AM »
I like patches  ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2018, 05:58:12 AM »
Does this translate to DEAD RESISTANCE ?? 8)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:00 AM »
Does this translate to DEAD RESISTANCE ?? 8)
I had to toss out a pair of dead shorts yesterday.  They didn't resist.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:55 AM »
guys i need some help with this.

https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2018/06/22/an-improvised-directional-wire-antenna/

- Theory is that antennas radiate at 90degrees to their length. So what makes this antenna radiate along its axis?
the short donwslopping part of it?

-What is the theory behind the ground line connected to the antenna by the resistor?

Also... i cannot understand the terms cold and hot, I think he emans the driven and ground elements. Correct?

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:11 AM »
  It's sort of a terminated End Fed. This keeps the SWR low on all frequencies. The pattern will change with the frequency beaning used. Lower frequencies will be more broad ban then higher ones.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »
The radio and technology came from the 1950's when often 50 MHZ and upper HF frequencies were common for military use...it is a loop antenna with a resistor to limit SWR loading to about 10 to one though radios did not have a specified 50 ohm output at the time as all radios had built in matching units (antenna tuners) as part of the power output circuits...yes a terminated loop is probably one correct ,and descriptive name,for this . A variant that has better directivity was the "V" BEAM where a dipole ,of sorts, formed a 30 to 45 degree "V" towards the intended target and each wire terminated to a resister to a ground stake. We have better ways of doing this now as the radio requires a 50 ohm or so output to remain stable and BALUNS have improved technology for impedance matching.

I look to the past for antenna ideas and adapt them to current technology and radio needs. The loop that lays on the ground in the illustration causes almost HALF of the radio's power to simply be wasted in the soil...I would keep the entire loop at least 3 feet above soil and feed through a 4 to one balun with a 200 to 300 ohm NON-INDUCTIVE RESISTOR as a test of such a configuration and try to make it so the two vertical 'legs' were 1/4 wavelength on my primary or target frequency and the two horizontal segments should be about .45 (just under 1/2 wave) so the loop actually acts as two,slightly out of phase,1/4 wave verticals and have somewhat better gain with the lower noise reception of a partially closed loop.  I have done this as a horizontal configuration in years past

PS the NON-INDUCTIVE resistor needs to be capable of radios output power..

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
thanks... now that I know the term for it, i can have a further look when I find the time.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2018, 05:52:47 AM »
thanks... now that I know the term for it, i can have a further look when I find the time.

At risk of opening a real big can of worms....here is a link to a few of my antenna articles and manuals,download all you wish:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIdGhhUHpQejgxbHc

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
  Your right Carl, it's more a loop then a end fed with counter poise. B&W has something like it.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
At risk of opening a real big can of worms....here is a link to a few of my antenna articles and manuals,download all you wish:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIdGhhUHpQejgxbHc

i will be startign with the ARR: Antenan book, the lopp antennas chapter

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
  GREAT...and don't overlook any 'old' antenna books you may come across as many antennas I find effective were in use in the 1930's and are easily adapted to matching the current radio output impedence with simple components or use of an antenna tuner.

ABOUT ME  and antennas: I used to use only HF antennas that were matched for SWR and often spent DAY'S of my radio time getting things just right....though they were only right at one frequency and this was wrong as all my trimming efforts only introduced LOSS into the antenna system and made the SWR meter happy but caused losses to my over-all system. NOW ,I use an antenna tuner and the tuner can adapt the radio and antenna system to different ground moisture and also the antennas are predictable as to direction and gain as the length equations have always got this correct...I don't use antenna analyzers or SWR METERS as more than IDIOT lamp indicators of problems. I build an antenna as it is designed by myself or previous users and let my auto-antenna tuner adjust things to keep the radio safe and happy. I spend more time OPERATING MY RADIO rather than working on antennas and wasting time adjusting a unicorn SWR number .

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
Old antenna books are great.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »

Another One for Your Library: 1986 Radio Wave Propagation and Antennas manual & a mention of an upcoming course.

You already post this one to your google drive, Carl?  I think you did, but am too lazy to go dig through the downloads just now this evening.  Anyway, good useful stuff.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »

Fresh up today: Developing and Exploiting Open Source Signals Intelligence
Note taking, communications mapping, observing others' gear... there's a lot there.

Also from a week or so ago: SIGINT Freeware
Not sure I'm ready to download compiled freeware named SORCERER onto my laptop at the moment, but it's still an interesting read.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
I haven't been regularly reading brushbeater, but there hasn't been a lot of radio related content since the summer.

Reviews on courses and the like, but not the educational type articles that we had come to enjoy.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
Yeah Smurf, you're right, while there's been content, it's not content that lends itself to discussion here.  In all fairness, for what he's trying to teach through the site, there are only so many ways to make an invisible improvised field antenna, and they've mostly all been covered.  After that... it's more complicated classroom stuff.

Maybe we need to start another thread here covering more general survival-related techniques and radically simplified SOI's and the like.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Yes.  More on process and procedures.

If something really "big" happens where do you listen first?

How do we handle welfare traffic out of our region?
How do we checkin with authorities to offer our help?

It's a lot more sexy to discuss covert ops behind enemy lines, but we'll likely deal with a dozen earthquakes and/or hurricanes before then.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
 The best way to get started to help the authorities is through CERT. This is the first place they look for volunteers. Half of the CERT crew are hams in my county. Also if there is a biological emergency, the CERT team is one of the first to get the medicine to keep them alive. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »
The best way to get started to help the authorities is through CERT. This is the first place they look for volunteers. Half of the CERT crew are hams in my county. Also if there is a biological emergency, the CERT team is one of the first to get the medicine to keep them alive.

That's a great pro-tip.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »
From a couple of days ago: Scenes from a Recent RTO Course
Not a lot to discuss about it, but interesting pictures and commentary nonetheless.

Maybe we need to start another thread here covering more general survival-related techniques and radically simplified SOI's and the like.
Yes.  More on process and procedures.
So, y'all want to split off another thread along these lines, or just keep it here with brushbeater?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
While the brushbeater blog remains active at a low level, NC Scout seems to have largely branched off to another site:
https://www.americanpartisan.org/author/ncscout/
While there's still a lot about comms there, for the most part he's broadening out to other topics.  Plenty to see there.