Author Topic: brushbeater blog post discussion  (Read 43434 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: brushbeater blog post discussion
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
True.  If you were a hard core SOTA type, you might also have $200 hiking boots. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »
Problems at a major "privacy first!" mail service reported, along with commentary on the weakness of centralized ongoing procedures:  https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2018/11/28/unseen-is-outage-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket/

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
An article about an NYU professor making odd claims that the FCC changing the current HF baud rate limits has national security implications: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2018/12/06/article-proposed-fcc-ruling-may-hurt-national-security/ 
Like I said, odd stuff.

Next up, something a little more practical, an article about a marginal improvement over the venerable G5RV: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/johnnymac-sends-a-true-multi-band-antenna/   
Hm, you're going to need a tuner either way, so I don't see this as a big deal.  Maybe an advantage if you have a long coax run or something.  Meh, it it's going to get this complicated just give me a random wire.

Anyway, it's good to see activity over at brushbeater.

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
This might be my favorite - https://www.americanpartisan.org/2018/11/writing-a-tactical-soi/

The title caught my eye, SOI has a couple meanings and the first that comes to my mind when I see it is Signal Of Interest.  The example authentication challenge between Apache and Cherokee certainly qualifies as that, especially on the frequencies listed.  Hearing that exchange would pique anyone's curiosity, better to take a "when in Rome" approach based on the frequencies|bands you're on I'd think.  Scott and Bob talking about whose turn it is to buy lunch or if they forgot the toolbox on Red|Yellow Dot maybe.  The best coded messages are the ones nobody even recognizes as being coded after all, or that's what I've heard anyway.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Yeah cidyl, that's a top-notch article, one I keep revisiting.

The best coded messages are the ones nobody even recognizes as being coded after all,
There are both deep information theory truths and practical pointers in that statement.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
Over at the other place NC Scout posts: The Jungle Antenna Revisited

Dumb question: Other than the ability to improvise from scraps, does a jungle antenna have any advantages over a 450 ohm window line slim jim?  I guess a jungle antenna melts into the background a little more easily than a scrap of window line, maybe, but are there any transmission pattern or bandwidth advantages for one over the other?  Seems like a lot less to snag when snaking a slim jim up and down through brush.  Any thoughts?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »
very different radiation patterns. The Jungle (groundplane) antenna is as spherical pattern as it can be and has practically no gain.

the Slimjims/jpoles have a flatter radiation disc and considerable gain.

search Youtube for Guerilla Comms practical application test of both designs
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSSOElgoCSU9wNcN5VpgoEw

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
Thanks GM.  Here's the closest video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1RVswglCHM  Kind of long, might want to jump to the last 5 or so minutes.

Unless I have to MacGyver up a jungle antenna out of scrap wire, I'll stick to window line slim jims.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2018, 11:53:41 AM »
that is exactly the idea behind the jungle antenna. You can practically make it by twisting wires together.
Somewhere in the HAM Radio section there is a link to my built.

or you can have a look at these in my blog.
https://survivalcomms.wordpress.com/?s=jungle

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2018, 06:07:26 AM »
NC Scout's year-end wrap-up and plans for next year: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2018/12/28/end-of-the-year-analysis-training-goalsand-turning-up-the-heat/

Which reminds me, I need to get on a list of things I want to accomplish in 2019.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
A Good Site on Understanding Baluns

Will have something constructive to add later in the weekend.

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »
Nothing to add, other than, this is an excellent thread. I've got about 10 tabs open.. and I seriously laughed at the "$200" hiking boots comment.  They're only $200 when on sale.  ;D ;D (Not a serious SOTA guy, but a serious hiker/backpacker)

GP

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2019, 06:20:19 AM »
New up today: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2019/01/10/from-a-reader-observations/

Like the title says, observations.  Here's one:
The big problem I see are is lazy approach to commo.  They want to buy a top of the line xcvr [transceiver] and plug/play with the magic antenna that does every thing for them.  I tried to make one of those but I couldn’t find enough wire that contained >50% Unobtainium.
I'm willing to bet that Carl has a supply of that wire squirreled away somewhere.

Glad you're enjoying the thread GP.  Much good stuff over at brushbeater, and generally good commentary over here too.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
I made a couple wire j-poles from the magic spool of wire this weekend.
Great use for scrap chunks of coax with only one end piece.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
NC Scout hasn't been posting much lately over at brushbeater, but he's been burning it up over at American Partisan.  Here are his comms-related posts over the past month or so:

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/02/smiley-antennas-field-grade-rugged-handheld-antennas/
Will likely pick up one or two and test in the near future.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/field-phones/
Hard wires, minimal RF signature.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/force-multipliers-the-dakota-alert-motion-detector-for-patrols-and-rural-security/
Sneaky tricks with good ol' MURS.  Jack discussed similar on his podcast back in the day.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-pirate-radio/
Some assembly required.  Parrot and eyepatch not included.

All interesting comms stuff, and very much worth the reads if only for general information.  I don't have much to add.

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »
NC Scout hasn't been posting much lately over at brushbeater, but he's been burning it up over at American Partisan.  Here are his comms-related posts over the past month or so:

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/02/smiley-antennas-field-grade-rugged-handheld-antennas/
Will likely pick up one or two and test in the near future.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/field-phones/
Hard wires, minimal RF signature.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/force-multipliers-the-dakota-alert-motion-detector-for-patrols-and-rural-security/
Sneaky tricks with good ol' MURS.  Jack discussed similar on his podcast back in the day.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-pirate-radio/
Some assembly required.  Parrot and eyepatch not included.

All interesting comms stuff, and very much worth the reads if only for general information.  I don't have much to add.

I can vouch for the Smiley Super Stick II 150 MHz, was one of the first HT antennas I ever purchased.  Tuned for 145-155 MHz a good compromise for 2m ham, MURS, and VHF biz band/public safety.  Too big and rigid for constant use but a noticable improvement over rubber ducks at fringe range, it lives in my go-bag.

The description on how the Dakota Alert works in the force multiplier article isn't accurate, almost defies logic that he's been using them for years and doesn't know how they operate.  The sensor itself is passive, it doesn't emit any light - IR, visible, or otherwise.  There is a LED above the sensor that can be set to blink when motion is detected, but that's selectable by changing a jumper.  And "sending out a message of ALERT ZONE 1-5"?  But a nice paint job.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
I can vouch for the Smiley Super Stick II 150 MHz, was one of the first HT antennas I ever purchased.  Tuned for 145-155 MHz a good compromise for 2m ham, MURS, and VHF biz band/public safety.  Too big and rigid for constant use but a noticable improvement over rubber ducks at fringe range, it lives in my go-bag.

The description on how the Dakota Alert works in the force multiplier article isn't accurate, almost defies logic that he's been using them for years and doesn't know how they operate.  The sensor itself is passive, it doesn't emit any light - IR, visible, or otherwise.  There is a LED above the sensor that can be set to blink when motion is detected, but that's selectable by changing a jumper.  And "sending out a message of ALERT ZONE 1-5"?  But a nice paint job.

Are none of those dual band 2m/70cm?  If I'm really deep in the woods I'll carry a roll up jpole and toss into the trees, but for walking around during public service events, a big antenna can be a little cumbersome, and there are times I need to work on both UHF and VHF.  Switching antennas back and forth might be old.

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
Not sure on the telescoping ones, they have ones tuned to 150 and 155 MHz centers at least but didn't see a dual bander listed.  First time I'd checked out their offerings in many years.  Extended the Super Sticks are 4' tall so not for walking around with, at the time I bought mine we were using strictly VHF radios and they did help at the fringes but swapping was a pain.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2019, 05:38:44 AM »
Two new posts up this week:

Getting Started in Morse Code
Mostly a thru-link to a youtube channel, but NCScout does give it his recommendation.

Commo Tips for New Groups
Short and to-the-point practical advice.  Here's a list the of the topics briefly covered there, just as a teaser:
Understand Your Real Needs
What should I buy?
Start Humble and Keep It Simple
Don't Overlook the Value of License Free
Stop Talking About It and Do It

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Short and to-the-point practical advice.  Here's a list the of the topics briefly covered there, just as a teaser:
ps: From the post, it looks like NC Scout is going to be a guest on Heavy G's podcast in an upcoming episode.  (How did I miss that in the first read-over?)

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »

Understand Your Real Needs
What should I buy?
Start Humble and Keep It Simple
Don't Overlook the Value of License Free
Stop Talking About It and Do It

Another sales pitch, same message as in Communication Realities for Dummies but with a much different delivery since those "dummies" are his potential clients now I guess.

If anyone missed it, Ticom (Sparks31) re-re-re-invented himself again recently, https://outlandtek.blogspot.com/, I'll be following that blog.  He gets bonus points for the TEMPEST overview and mentioning the Ferret birds in his "Receiver IF/LO Hunting" post.  For some interesting reading check out the military sigint satellite systems history, might start at wikipedia and then head over to fas.org for more details.  I'd offer some search terms but like Ticom said, I value my freedom too much. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
Another sales pitch,
Yes he mentions his upcoming classes, he always does that.  However it seems to be more of a summary of sound advice along with a mention of an upcoming episode of Heavy G's podcast.

If anyone missed it, Ticom (Sparks31) re-re-re-invented himself again recently, https://outlandtek.blogspot.com/, I'll be following that blog. 
Thanks for the link.  The blog just started in September so it's easy to catch up.  Very heavy emphasis on DIY gear and SIGINT, more of getting ready for guerrilla action than getting through, say, the next hurricane which is more my concern.  Still an interesting addition to the daily blog scan.  Maybe worth its own discussion thread; what do you think, cidyl?  Or just lump it in here?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »
The latest: Tasks for the 'Designated Commo' Guy

As the title implies, these are the basics for helping your circle of friends get up to some level of functionality in comms.  Important point from the post:
With communications, the tendency is for new people to get quickly overwhelmed and all of them are explicitly not looking for a hobby, they just want their equipment to work. If they didn’t have interest in communications before, chances are very high there’s an end goal in mind and its not experimentation. They want validation that whatever this was they spent hard-earned money on based on your recommendations actually does what its supposed to do. What you told them it would do.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
The latest: Tasks for the 'Designated Commo' Guy

As the title implies, these are the basics for helping your circle of friends get up to some level of functionality in comms.  Important point from the post:

This is difficult for me.  Non-comms (amateurs, military, etc.) people often equate a "just want it to work" sentiment as if it were a home theatre system or an app on their iPhone.
While I appreciate that from a consumer level, if instead we think like airplane pilots or sea captains, there's a great deal of ownership and understanding involved.  By understanding aerodynamics and meteorological basics, pilots are able to cope with problems. Most anyone can learn to drive a car, but a considerably narrower set of people fly aircraft.

My point is, radio comms as an avocation is only as good as your efforts.  I suppose in these hypothetical tactical groups, if you have a dedicated "comms guy", who does understand the theory and is handy with a soldering iron, it's feasible to distribute pre-programmed HTs to your people.

I'm not sure that we can ever build up the perfect commo shopping list that removes the need for the theory and experience that real situations would likely require.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »
The simpler things are to use, the more complicated they are to make. (except the lever. grin) 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
Yeah, it is a balancing act.  Some people are into it, some aren't; it comes easy for some, hard for others.  And the more versatile, the more complicated.  FRS definitely has its place in all this, as does CB.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
Yeah, it is a balancing act.  Some people are into it, some aren't; it comes easy for some, hard for others.  And the more versatile, the more complicated.  FRS definitely has its place in all this, as does CB.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.

I mean, there are "gun guys" who buy all sorts of high speed gear, but don't think to bore sight new rifles.  Instead they waste a box of ammo attempting to zero at 200 yards, without a single hole in the paper. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Maybe I'm being too harsh.
Nah, not really.  I see a lot of Brushbeater's focus leans toward being the comms guy for a MAG, which is good and all, but that's not everybody's situation.  My situation is more of helping out neighbors (probably after a hurricane) by handing 'em an FRS after things have gone down.  That, and occasionally relaying messages via HF to families outside the affected area.  But this has changed over time, and will no doubt change again.  Everybody's got different comms needs, and everybody interacts with different sorts of people.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:33 AM »
Latest: https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2019/03/20/practical-tactical-survivalist-communications-questions-from-a-reader/

Questions from a reader, and NC Scout spells out the differences between MAG needs and tacticool applications.  Main point from the post:
There’s a lot of different reasons people begin to focus on communications, but when you boil it down, its one of two real necessities: either networking your group over an area, or, supporting tactical needs. The two goals are different, and while there’s some overlap, its a different mission set with different techniques.

There is some discussion of non-ham radio options, and of how we all have our limitations.  As always, interesting food for thought.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran