Author Topic: LPK question  (Read 832 times)

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
LPK question
« on: January 08, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
so.. Anderson lpk or RRA...right now you can get either one for about $50.00 with a single stage trigger. i love RRA bu does it really matter especially within the realm of single stage? i tried looking this up but didn't find anything recently posted..any advice?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Re: LPK question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »
I haven't used RRA, but I have used Anderson (among many others), and for a "standard" lpk, they are my favorite, hands down.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
aside from some polishing...is there really any difference between single stage triggers?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
Not usually much of a difference.  I have had one or two that caused problems.  The Anderson kits tend to go together easier, and they tumble polish their triggers and hammers.  It makes for a noticeably smoother trigger operation.  It is still just a military type AR trigger pull, but a better version of it.  I have assembled dozens of AR lowers, and there is one or two brands I avoid, and one or two I seek out, but Anderson is at the top of my list.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
I own and use a lot of RRA product. I've seen more than a few Anderson Arms product. I'd have no problem with either choice. I know not much help... On the other hand think about how good it is that there are so many quality affordable options available to us now... I can remember when if you said I like the AR folks would break out the torches, pitchforks and... Rope  :o   ;D

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:38 AM »
The lower parts are fairly generic and not nearly as varying as the upper components.  I would go with which ever one you can get locally or from a retailer you can do an exchange with easily.  I bought some stuff from BCM, GandRtactical and Rainier Arms online and they all have great customer support and will exchange in a heart beat.  I've also bought from local shops I frequent and never had an issue on support or exchanges.  Most lower parts are going to fit fine in most lowers, but every brand can have the occasional defect or mixup.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »
so i went with an RRA single stage kit...it seems nice i think for my next one i'll try an anderson. i'm looking to make a 7.62x39 ar.. i love that there are so many options out there.. its just knowing what's worth buying and what's crap...unfortunately i'm an asshat that didn't make good decisions so money is tight....i've always loved RRA so it got the edge over the anderson...anyone know anything about Aero?
'

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 02:40:06 AM »
You might want to research the 7.62x39 in an AR.  I've heard it is not the best choice of cartridge for it. The mags may not feed as reliably as 5.56, 6.8SPC or other similar cartridges.  Plus the bolt face has to be ground out to almost nothing which may also contribute to feeding and extractor problems.  If you go with 7.62 be sure to copy exactly what was used by someone with zero issues: brand of bolt, mags, extractor, etc. 

The 7.62 should be a good deer cartridge but probably one of the worst for the AR.  The SKS and AK were designed for the 7.62z39 cartridge, the AR was designed for the slimmer rim and and straight side case of the 5.56.  There are 6mm, 6.5 and 7mm variants of the 5.56 case and of course the 6.8 and the .300 Blackout (which happens to about replicate the 7.62x39 ballistics with a 125 gr bullet).  You might consider the .300 BLK instead of the 7.62x39.  The .300 is designed for the AR, replicates the 7.62x39 ballistics at 125 gr but also is designed to handle bullets up to 200+ gr for suppressor.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
yeah i've heard of the issues, but most people say if your only loading 5-7 rounds it's not an issue. i thought about the 300blackout but it's too pricey for me to shoot regularly. i haven't looked into the 6.8 though, that might be worth giving a nod.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
yeah i've heard of the issues, but most people say if your only loading 5-7 rounds it's not an issue. i thought about the 300blackout but it's too pricey for me to shoot regularly. i haven't looked into the 6.8 though, that might be worth giving a nod.

OP - agreed with most, LPKs are pretty good these days. I have personally used AA and CMMG with no problems.

Highlighted - You will likely find that the 6.8 is pricier than the .300BLK these days. You can get supersonic .300 at Walmart for ca. $17 a box, sub-sonic at Cabela's for a buck a box more. You cannot get 6.8 at wally world or most places for that matter, and when you do find it, invariably they are $20+ a box, usually around $27-30 a box. I have a gorgeous cerakoted home-built 6.8 that I rarely shoot due to the cost of ammo. I do have a few hundred pieces of brass, but as I am still learning handloading, I'm not ready to start loading these.

I have shifted to .300, as the 6.8 is a great idea but the market - and the military - have not picked it up. The .300 is currently the caliber du jour. We'll see how that goes.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books