Author Topic: Handguns that failed and ones that didn't  (Read 5109 times)

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
Handguns that failed and ones that didn't
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:18:24 AM »
How about listing the handguns that you've owned for a time that failed to live up to your expectations and ones that did live up to your expectations?
Here's my current list:

Semi-Auto Pistols that have never Failed me (no particular order):
Sig P220
Sig P226
Ruger P89DC
Ruger P90
Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 20
Colt ACE 22
Springfield XD-9
FN FNP-45 Tactical
FN FNX-9
Browning Hi Power
CZ-75 9mm

(Previously owned) Semi-Auto Pistols that have Failed me:
Feg .380
Sig P230
Remington-Rand 1911A1
Taurus 99 (but not while shooting only 9mm ball)
Tarus 1911 (would shoot .45 ball ok but nothing else)
Cobray M11
Colt Series 80
CZ 52
Glock 21
Raven P25
'Baby' Browning
Firestar (.45ACP) (stovepipes..alot! but it was preety!)

Revolvers that have never failed me (no particular order):
S&W Mod 19 2.5"bbl
S&W Mod 60 2"
S&W Mod 29 8-3/8"
S&W Mod 629 Classic Hunter ( a truly beautiful gun)
Ruger Blackhawk .44Mag/.45CoLT convertible (oh I LOVE THIS GUN!)
Ruger Blackhawk .44Mag
Ruger Super Blackhawk (yes in .44Mag, what can I say I literally love the Blackhawk platform in .44mag)
Ruger Single Six (and a great trainer for the Blackhawks :) )
Taurus Mod 66 4"
Taurus Mod 85 (shoots as good as the S&W 60 and cost me half the price!)

Revolvers that have failed me:
Dan Wesson 15-2
Colt Anaconda .44mag
S&W Combat Magnum .357Mag

What does "failed" mean to me? It means I don't trust it for Food or Fight. I still own a couple of the "Failed" guns because they're fun to look at or occasionally shoot. I just won't bet my family on it.

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Handguns that failed and ones that didn't
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Ok, here's mine, both owned and issued:

Never failed me:
Glock 19 gen 1
Glock 22 gen 1
Glock 22 gen 3
Glock 22 gen 4
Glock 27 gen 3
Ruger gp100
Ruger vaquero 45colt
Ruger new vaquero 45colt
Ruger p90 45acp
S&w bodyguard 38+p
Walther p22

The ones that have failed me:
Cobray pm11/9
Taurus 1911
Remington 1911
Kimber 1911
Sig p226
Heritage 22 single action
Beretta m9 (92fs)

Now for context:
The Kimber and sig were both used when I got them, with the Sig being a retired Maryland state Police pistol, so they had unknown histories and round counts. The Berretta that failed was an issued gun by the army with an obviously high round count, and I had no real complaint with the subsequently issued m9. The Taurus and Remington 1911s, the heritage 22, and cobray were literally fecal matter new in box.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
and there is someone else who had no fails with the Ruger P990. I've always felt that gun did not get its proper due in its day :)

regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Arky

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
My Glocks and M&P's have never failed me. My Kimber 1911, Kimber .22 and Sig Mosquito's were absolute garbage. I can't remember the model now, but I had a Taurus that wasn't very great either.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
and there is someone else who had no fails with the Ruger P990. I've always felt that gun did not get its proper due in its day :)

regards,
Shadowalker

They are great guns, the only reason mine has been relegated to house gun status is its weight and 7+1 capacity. It doesn't get shot much anymore but I can't bear to get rid of it. I cannot honestly find a bad thing to say about any Ruger, handgun or otherwise, and I've had several.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »
Failed

Taurus 94 - .22 revolver
    HK USP40 - .40 
    S&W 629 Mountain Gun - .44 revolver

Never Failed

Ruger 22/45 - .22
    Glock 23, 27, 35 - .40
    S&W 629 Backpacker - 44 revolver

I got rid of the Taurus and HK, but still own the rest.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
I've had very few problems with handguns.  Trying to think of one that has not been reliable and can't really think of an instance that was not due to atypical ammo or third-party mag related.  Most of these I still own but all of them I've shot hundreds or many thousands of rounds through of FMJ, cast handloads, and factory HP.

NEVER FAILED:
Glock gen1 G21
Glock gen2 G22
Glock gen3 G23, G19 (including 9mm conversion barrels for G23 and with normal .40 ejector and extractor)
Glock gen4 G27, G21
Glock G42
Makarov (after smoothing slide edges to keep from shredding my hand)
P35 hi-power  (but has its pound of flesh from hammer bite)
P3AT (after fluff and buff, without this it would jam on feeding)
Springfield 1911 (all OEM parts except springs have been replaced a few times)
SIG P229 .40
SIG P220, P245 .45
Redhawk .44 (customized)
GP100 .357 (customized)
SP101 .357
S&W 67 .38
S&W 640 .38
S&W 29 .44 Mountain Gun
Firestar .45 long ago (but only with FMJ)
Ruger Standard and mkIII .22LR (with CCI ammo anyway)

Kind of failed:
Llama .45 long ago, soft metal in frame, fed FMJ fine but was picky.  Cured me of cheap handguns.

Not enough shooting to know:
LCR .222 WMR

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
Never Failed
Beretta 92 all 4
Colt 1911 Combat Elite
Glock 17 G3&4
Glock 26 G4
SCCY CPX 2  all 6 no failures

Failed
Springfield Range Officer 1911
Sig Mosquito

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
You guys have way more handgun experience than I do, but I'll throw in my two data points.

Failed
    Taurus 94 - .22 revolver

My wife has the Taurus 941, which is the same thing in .22 Magnum.  At first, it was seizing up every 3-5 shots.  Turned out the tip of the firing pin was slightly mushroomed, so that it would get stuck in the brass.  Careful filing fixed that.  She's happy with it now.  I'm not sure we'd buy another Taurus, though.

My handgun is a very old and much-used CZ-85 (9mm).  I have small hands and it fits my grip well.  I think the only problems come from wear (I had one part physically break in two).  I'd be happy to replace it with a newer-model CZ.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:37 AM »
Failed:
Glock 23 Gen 3- The front site came off in the first 300 rounds (this was over 11 years ago).  Returned to Glock and replaced for free.  No further issues.
Glock 20 Gen 3- Failures to ignite primer, gun was severely dirty and had a lot of rounds through it.  No issues since I replaced the Striker spring and cleaned it thoroughly.
Browning Buck Mark: Hex screws on top of the receiver that hold down the top plate with the rear site backed out on repeated double tap firing, blue lock tight.
Heritage Arms Rough Rider in .22lr- had a clockwork issue and locked up.  The company did repair it for free (though I paid shipping to the factory)

Not Failed:
Glock 22
Glock 19x3
Glock 35
DPMS AR-15 parts gun
M&P15 (5.56 AR-15)
Smith and Wesson Model 629-1
Smith a Wesson Model 629-5
S&W Model 66
Beretta 92FS

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
I have 2 Tarus PT738 TCP pistols that are super reliable.  Not very accurate for some reason, but they always work.  I had to return one to the factory for some work on the magazine lock back. When they returned it they gave me two free magazines.   Like I  said the accuracy is lousy compared to my XDs and other carry pistols but at a little more than $200 I feal OK about leaving one locked up in my car. 

Super reliable pistols
Springfield XDs in 45 cal
Springfield XD9
Springfield XD45

I really like Springfield XD pistols.  Wish the holster  and after market parts options were as good as a Glock but I feel they are better quality than the Glock and the M&P.  The XDs shoots way better than a pistol that size should.  Only failure to fire with my XD pistols was when I limp wristed it while trying to shoot at night with a light along side the gun.  You need to practice this if you plan to shoot while holding a light.  Not as easy as you think and reloading and clearing a jam while holding a light is something you need to learn.

I am not going to list revolvers.  Never had a problem.  If you don't abuse them, you should not have a problem.

Smith and Wesson M&P 9- no issues just doesn't feel right like my XD pistols. 

Springfield and Colt GI model 1911.  Lots of issues with aftermarket magazines.  I number my magazines and I know which ones work with which gun. Lot of range time verifying that mags work with a particular gun. Chip McCormick magazines seem to work well with both guns.  My recommendation with 1911s is go for a higher end model or don't buy a 1911.  The nice ones are awesome and the cheaper ones are inferior to modern polymer guns.

The most unreliable gun I ever owned is a colt AR 7 22 cal survival rifle.  Sold that real quick and got a Marlin papoose.  Much better, very accurate and reliable.

I have had a lot of issues with recent model Remington rifles.  My 700 was recalled for a trigger issue.  The rifling is weird and the accuracy is not great.  My Remington R-15 is fussy about ammo types, uses proprietary parts instead of milspec AR parts, and accuracy is not great.  My old Remingtons are great but something happened when they were bought by Freedom group and I plan on avoiding Remington rifles until I hear problems are fixed.

Offline fzrspirit

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
My luck with pistols is very . . . odd. I seem to have issues with the handguns that everybody else raves over.

Failed
Ruger Mark 3 (out of the box the mag disconnect caused failures. Ruger made it right but I sold it anyway.)
Taurus TCP .380 (last round hold open feature never worked--even after a visit to the factory. )
Glock 19 (a few stove pipes & constant brass to the face in the first 300 rounds. I still own it because the BTF is less often now.)
Ruger LCP II (still at the factory. The mag pops out constantly.)

Never Failed:
Ruger LCP (version 1.5)
Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact 3" (if Springfield would drop a little weight on their guns, I'd sell all my Glocks.)