Author Topic: Reminder: How to ignore stuff on TSP Forum  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Reminder: How to ignore stuff on TSP Forum
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »
I've seen some comments recently by members who are tired of political discussion and are dropping out of those topics.  Just wanted to remind you that our forum software has a couple of useful tools:

IGNORING BOARDS

...you can now select specific boards to "ignore".

I say "ignore" in quotes, because you won't lose access to these boards entirely.  Here's what will happen if you "ignore" a board:
  • "Show unread posts since last visit" will not display any posts from the ignored board.
  • "View the most recent posts on the forum" will also not display posts from the ignored board.
  • The new posts indicator will not show up next to the ignored board on the index.

However:
  • "Show new replies to your posts" will display replies, even from ignored boards.
  • The board itself will still be displayed, and if you enter the board, new topics will be marked.

To use this feature, go to your Profile > Modify Profile > Ignore Boards Options, mark the boards you want to ignore, and click "Change profile" at the bottom.

IGNORING PEOPLE

If there's somebody on the forum whose posts just drive you nuts, you can add their name to your personal "ignore list", and their posts will not be displayed to you.

To use this feature, go to your Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List.  Under "Add To Ignore List", type in the person's username (if you type the beginning of the name, you'll get a dropdown list of matching names, and you can select the correct one).

After this, any posts by that person will show only the message "You are ignoring this user," and a link, "Show me the post," which does what it sounds like.

If you change your mind, you can remove people from your ignore list on the same Profile page.
I don't want to encourage our members to ignore each other -- I mean, that's not really what this forum is about.

If you find someone who you think is causing trouble for the forum as a whole, please let us know.  (The "Report to moderator" link is the fastest way to get the attention of any mods/admins who are available.)

But we recognize that sometimes there are just personality clashes, and you'd be a lot happier reading as little as possible of one person's posts.  That's the time when the "Ignore" feature is most useful.