Author Topic: Looking for a vehicle GPS -  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
Looking for a vehicle GPS -
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
Does anyone know of a Automotive GPS model that allows the user to program routes and waypoints rather than the standard start / end routing ?

Thanks

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Looking for a vehicle GPS -
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
I have a few year old Garmin. It is ok. Won't let me program routes. I think if I have to do it again, I'd go with a tablet (with GPS) and run Google maps on it. As well as be a media server in the car for road trips.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »
...I think if I have to do it again, I'd go with a tablet (with GPS) and run Google maps on it. ...

I'm the kind of guy who wants to carry a printed atlas, but recently I've tried Google Maps on my tablet.  Not bad.  You can download large map areas so that you can run Google Maps with just the GPS turned on and no data connection.

I've never tried programming routes and waypoints so I can't comment on that.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »
Most GPS devices will let you add VIA points such as a gas station on the way to your destination.

Some of the handheld GPS devices have the waypoints for hiking.

Some GPS devices let you choose how they will route such as no toll roads.

Here is an Android App for waypoints. I have not used it but it looks good for hiking and is $9.99

http://appcrawlr.com/android/gps-waypoints-navigator

Seems like a tablet might be the best way to go.  I like the Nexus 7 2012 edition (the 1920x1080 one)

Let us know what you choose.

Jerseyboy

Offline Atomic Punk

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:28:47 AM »
Always keep in mind, your gps will try to kill you.

That said, get a tomtom. Garmin has better looking maps, but the tomtom is a lot easier to adjust routes, the garmin will fight you a lot more.
Wherever you go,  there you are.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
I have used mostly Garmin hardware and some models are easier to setup than others.  For simple routing I find setting unique way points as a good option by saving POI (Points of Interest) to force a specific route.

The best results I have had setting up a specific trip has been with a good laptop and a GPS puck as in Microsoft products.  I have transferred routes to my android cell phone and it has been somewhat useful, but the display is not as clear as some of the more current dedicated GPS hardware.

However, it is not practical to try and keep a laptop on the passengers set, and the volume was always an issue when I did.

For the tech savvy Garmin owners, look at the following to help set customized POI.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Thanks all for the advice

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Does anyone know of a Automotive GPS model that allows the user to program routes and waypoints rather than the standard start / end routing ?

Thanks
Auto GPS are designed to be used to navigate roads by dummies. What your asking about is aMarine or Aircraft gps

I'd recommend a Garmin 478 but it's been discontinued. Lowrance makes a dual use unit.
The way to do what you want is to get a marine GPS that allows loading maps and from a maufacturer that sells maps you can upload to any of its GPS. Garmin has models like that and so does Lowrance.

To do what you want to do you will need to become at least semipro level of GOS user. If you like Garmin then stick with that brand just know you will have to jump through some hoops. An easier choice is to rethink what your doing and adapt it to the tool your using. Unfortunatly that puts you back to a Microsoft/Apple situation that requires you to work the way they want/expect you to.
Find a marine GPS from your manufacturer of choice and learn how to load the map pack you need.
Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0