Author Topic: Confessions: Dumb prepping stuff you bought or did  (Read 31303 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Confessions: Dumb prepping stuff you bought or did
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:01 AM »
Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer.

And the forum spammer from India with 4 accounts.  What would prepping be without spam?

Quote stolen from here, if anyone's interested:
The New Yorker, 1/22/17: Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich

Thank you for the thread bump, and farewell! 8)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
And the forum spammer from India with 4 accounts.  What would prepping be without spam?

Quote stolen from here, if anyone's interested:
The New Yorker, 1/22/17: Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich

Thank you for the thread bump, and farewell! 8)

Lol. Bill is whacking moles again!!! Lol  ;D

Speaking of spam.....Dollar Tree has spam can size luncheon loaf for a buck, and it's not bad.....not bad.  ;D
I usually pick up a couple for the storeroom when I'm in there.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
It doesn't say anything about having wars with nail guns. When I worked at a box company summer while in high school we would hold back the thing on the tip with one hand and fire it with the other hand. The nails would go a pretty good way and hurt too if you got hit.
                    On the back of my car sun reflector it says not to use while driving...............seriously?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »
                    On the back of my car sun reflector it says not to use while driving...............seriously?

There have been a couple of times when I backed out of a parking spot, shifted into Drive, and found my vision strangely obscured...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
Lets see..........canning up 24 pints of *green salsa* cause the wife says she likes it.

3 years later, there's 23 pints in the storeroom, and one pint in the frig half used.  ::)

And, for some stupid reason, we steamed and canned a load of tomato's.
Yes, canned the juice only. It's still sitting here.  ::)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
Heh, that reminds me of the canned meat in the cupboard...

Yoder's Hamburger

Description:  28 oz can of cooked ground beef.  Based on the nutrition label, it appears they start with raw 85/15 hamburger, seal it in the can, and bake it (probably under pressure so the cans don't blow up).  The result, when opened, is a big chunk of crumbly finely-ground hamburger meat, about 5 fl oz of thick broth, and about 2 tablespoons of fat (which is on top, and can be spooned out and discarded unless you need the extra calories). ...

My opinion:  quite satisfactory for incorporating into recipes that call for ground beef. ...

...as a long-term storage food, I'll have no problem using a can every now and then.

Yeah.  We used a can every now and then, until we developed such an aversion to the horrific flavor that we never wanted to experience it again.  There's just something weird about it.  Remember in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where the food machine produces "a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea"?  This is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike hamburger.  Use it to make tacos and it will overwhelm the strongest taco seasoning flavor.  If you're old enough that you grew up eating canned spaghetti sauce with meat, you can use the Yoder's meat and a jar of meatless sauce to re-create a memory from your youth.  I really don't know why we're saving our 6 remaining decade-old cans, unless maybe to use them as ammunition in a catapult.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »
  I really don't know why we're saving our 6 remaining decade-old cans, unless maybe to use them as ammunition in a catapult.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But maybe you should stock more. If you use 3 cans for practice, then a battle shows up, those 3 remaining cans will go quick.  ;D

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »
I bought this fancy "hybrid" bike a few years ago (a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike) in case I need to get outta town in a hurry, it cost about double an ordinary bike and I bought it on the spur of the moment when I saw it in the bike shop, mainly because I liked its dull grey colour (good camo when camping in woods).
Mistake!
Because it's so fancy, I had to buy a whole new set of special new tools for it, and even worse it needs 3 different spoke lengths (one size for front wheel and 2 sizes for the left and right side of the back wheel), so it'll be a nightmare fiddling with spoke replacement on a cold rainy night because the sizes are hard to tell apart by just a couple of millimetres length.
Also if I break down in the middle of nowhere, there's no guarantee that the nearest bike shop would have the fancy fittings or spokes I need.
I've still got the bike but am tempted to sell it off at a loss and buy a simple uncomplicated cheap bike instead..:)

PS- notice the three welded lugs under the crossbar that carry the rear brake cable, they mean that carrying the bike across streams and fences hurts because the lugs stick in my shoulder..

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:21:31 AM by Gamer »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
Looks like it has enough open space to retro a engine on it Gamer, then you could really motor around.  ;) ;D ;D
I'm not a bike fan anymore, so don't have any other suggestins.

Speaking of prep items......maybe I'll start another thread.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
I'm not a bike fan anymore, so don't have any other suggestins..

Mate, when there's no more fuel around for vehicles in a SHTF world I can guarantee you'll need a bike to get out of the city before the starving mobs have you for dinner..:)
As a wise man once said- "A bike! A bike! My kingdom for a bike!"

PS- I used to be in a cycling club before I got old and lazy and haven't been on a bike for years, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing mine is sitting there in the corner for when I might need it,,:)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:34:37 AM by Gamer »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
We do have an old Schwinn with flat tires...er.....the wife does.
And, we have horses. May have to eat those......

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
..And, we have horses. May have to eat those......

A man's gotta do..

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
Ayup. Switch to plan B if A goes into FUBAR mode.