Author Topic: Old wilderness/survival books  (Read 4749 times)

Offline PrepperMcPrepperton

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Old wilderness/survival books
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
Hey, guys. Would y'all mind helping me put together a list of old or classic wilderness/survival/pioneer books on camping and survivalism? I've heard Dave Canterbury mention some specific authors from the 19th and 20th centuries that he reads, but I cannot remember in which videos I heard him mention their names. I'd like to start reading some of the older, original material.

Any names and titles that you can think of would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Old wilderness/survival books more
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Re: Old wilderness/survival books
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »

The book I was always aware of was the book by Horace Kephardt that I think my dad had. I bought a newer version which looked a little different

The Book of Camping and Woodcraft: A Guidebook for Those who Travel in the Wilderness

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Camping-Woodcraft-Guidebook-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B00IQH07PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487347659&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27%3AHorace+Kephart

Publication Date: March 22, 1906

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
Hey, thanks a lot. This is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier.
I have read some of his other books, but don't remember all the titles.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »
  WOODCRAFT and CAMPING by Nessmuk  (George Washington Sears) is an old favorite for outdoorsmen to learn the secrets of
camping in a less formal kind of story format. Though a very old book,one will find it entertaining and quite instructional...a good read.

A sample:

The proper covering for head and feet is no slight affair, and will be found worth some
attention. Be careful that the boots are not too tight, or the hat too loose. The above rig will
give the tourist one shirt, one pair of drawers and a pair of socks to carry as extra clothing. A
soft, warm blanketĀ­bag, open at the ends, and just long enough to cover the sleeper, with an
oblong square of waterproofed cotton cloth 6x8 feet, will give warmth and shelter by night
and will weigh together five or six pounds. This, with the extra clothing, will make about
eight pounds of dry goods to pack over carries, which is enough. Probably, also, it will be
found little enough for comfort.

and it is FREE as a PDF acrobat file at this link and many other places on the internet.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/woodcraft-and-camping.pdf

LVWood

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
The book I was always aware of was the book by Horace Kephardt that I think my dad had. I bought a newer version which looked a little different

The Book of Camping and Woodcraft: A Guidebook for Those who Travel in the Wilderness

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Camping-Woodcraft-Guidebook-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B00IQH07PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487347659&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27%3AHorace+Kephart

I have that on Kindle, also "How to Camp Out" written in 1877

endurance

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »
How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier.
I have read some of his other books, but don't remember all the titles.
Good one. He was an excellent author.

He coauthored a book with Col. Townsend Whelen called On Your Own In The Wilderness that I consider one of the best wilderness survival books written. There are things that could be updated because of more modern materials, but the skills and crafts in that book will never go out of date.

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Wow, again, thanks to everyone for the list. I've started reading Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft." Really good stuff. I look forward to looking into the other titles mentioned here as well.

If there are any further recommendations, or you think of anything in the future, stop on by and let me know.

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
Wow, again, thanks to everyone for the list. I've started reading Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft." Really good stuff. I look forward to looking into the other titles mentioned here as well.

If there are any further recommendations, or you think of anything in the future, stop on by and let me know.

That was one of the first books I was exposed to from my dad and is why I sometimes jokingly refer to myself as a 'woodsman' as otherwise that word seems to have gone out of style.

People in my family still remember when I was about 9 years old I tried to make backwoods donuts as described in that Kephardt book ..

From some other book around the same time, or it could have been that one I got the idea of canoeing in the winter time and pushing the canoe through ice by having one foot in the canoe and one on the ice but the river can not be completely frozen but only partly

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
I haven't purchased the book myself yet, but I've been wanting to get a book called The Lost Ways

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »
The two books recommended by authors Kephart and Nessmuk are quite good. Kephart's is far more detailed, though equipment recommendations are a little outdated.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
Here is a good collection...turn down your audio as it has loud music on this page ,but good downloads.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/yourturf4/HoCoClassicCamping.htm

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »

Google found me a free download of this here: http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/the_book_of_camping_and_woodcraft_1906.pdf
It works better if you use a download manager program, than clicking on the link. Probably depends a lot on your operating system and browser. YMMV

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
Bushcraft, A Serious Guide to Survival and Camping By Richard Graves
The copy I have is an American reprint dated 1978. It appears that the original Australian text is much older.

The basic premise seems to be, how to survive and do/make all kinds of things, starting with Only a sharp cutting edge. Knife, machete, rock, etc.
There is a lot of good information here, although I'm no expert. Lots of drawings, a few b/w photos. Almost everything can be done without other items from civilization. Some would go a lot better with either a Lot of time, or a second person.

It tells what kinds of animals Can be eaten, even though some may not be very palatable. Likewise with plants.

How to make all sorts of snares and traps, up to man-killers. Good section on knots.

How to build shelters, huts, and camp furniture.

Fair section on telling time and navigating. Here it would be helpful to have the book with you, or another reference source. Seems to do a fair job of covering the Northern hemisphere as well as Down Under.

A few areas seemed like they could have been organized better. Some information appearing before the relevant headings, or not right with the corresponding drawings.

Offline muleturner

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
You wanted old?

I very much enjoyed reading Hunting with the Bow and Arrow by Saxon Pope 1922.   

Also Camp and Trail by Stewart Edward White 1911

You can find them on gutenberg.org.

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
Google found me a free download of this here: http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/the_book_of_camping_and_woodcraft_1906.pdf
It works better if you use a download manager program, than clicking on the link. Probably depends a lot on your operating system and browser. YMMV

Wow, thanks I can put that on my kindle probably