Author Topic: I have a gallon of raw milk....  (Read 2475 times)

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
I have a gallon of raw milk....
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »
what can i make with it?  the more products the better.   Raw milk is pretty expensive so I want to get the biggest bang for my buck...we don't really drink milk--just use a little in coffee in the morning.

the more products/by-products the better.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: I have a gallon of raw milk....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
this varies by what you like to eat and how fast you can eat it.

you can make yogurt with 1 qt
you can make paneer with 2 quarts
you can make kefir with the last quart

but, there are many options ! You could take the whole gallon and make some fresh mozarella to go on pizza tonight

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
we usually make yogurt with our leftover raw milk.  Then I freeze it in 3-c containers that I then move to quart size ziplocs.  3 c is about what we use at a time, unless we make lassi, then we need 6 c.

paneer huh?  I may need a recipe for that!
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
Goat or cow?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
cow

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
Let it sit overnight In The fridge , then take the cream off with a turkey baster. Then make butter from the cream. Make biscuits from the buttermilk. Or bake bread.

The rest of the milk will yield you will get about two pounds of semi soft cheese, but eat it right away. Same with the cheese since it is not pasteurized.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
thank you...i knew you all would have the best answers.  :)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
Let it sit overnight In The fridge , then take the cream off with a turkey baster. Then make butter from the cream. Make biscuits from the buttermilk. Or bake bread.

The rest of the milk will yield you will get about two pounds of semi soft cheese, but eat it right away. Same with the cheese since it is not pasteurized.

Cedar

Pasteurizing doesnt make a difference on how quick you need to eat the cheese, but soft cheeses do need to be eaten right away regardless.
And, 1 gallon of milk isnt enough to bother with a hard cheese, in most cases, you could, I have, but it is the same amount of time and trouble for 1/2 as much cheese, so I wait until I have 2 gallons of milk to make a hard cheese

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I don't even. Other with hard cheese's or mozzarella with less than two gallons.

If she had said goat milk, I would have said Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato all the way.

Cedar

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
you can make yogurt with 1 qt
you can make paneer with 2 quarts
you can make kefir with the last quart

but, there are many options ! You could take the whole gallon and make some fresh mozarella to go on pizza tonight

I don't know what paneer is, but my suggestion would be to make some cheese.  Mozarella is fairly easy, but just be sure not to over work it.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
I don't know what paneer is, but my suggestion would be to make some cheese.  Mozarella is fairly easy, but just be sure not to over work it.

Paneer or panir is an Indian food cheese, easier than mozarella even, just need milk and vinegar or lemon juice ( and cheese cloth) , you heat to coagulate curds, let them drain, so any amount of milk will do. This cheese does not melt when cooked. It is ideal in Indian Food recipes, like paleek paneer ( indian spiced creamed spinach with cubes of paneer cheese ) etc... not a cheese to store long term, a week in the fridge is fine.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:51 PM »
we usually make yogurt with our leftover raw milk.  Then I freeze it in 3-c containers that I then move to quart size ziplocs.  3 c is about what we use at a time, unless we make lassi, then we need 6 c.

paneer huh?  I may need a recipe for that!

I have 2. Here is the one my youngest dd uses, from an Indian cookbook. Uses 5 cups whole milk and 2 1/2 T lemon juice; Bring milk to a boil. As soon as it begins to bubble, put in the lemon juice and take the pot off the heat. Leave it for 15 minutes. Curds and whey should seperate by then ( if not, reheat a bit hotter than you had it before, turn off, let set)put the curds into cheesecloth, tie up the cheesecloth and let it hang and drain out all the whey over night. And/or you can flatten cheese ball out on a plate and weigh it down with a pot filed with water for 4 or 5 hours. My dd likes to use it for Matar Paneer ( peas with Paneer) the recipe for this also uses 2 cups of reserved whey from the paneer making, so do save some of the whey for uses like this.

I make Panir from the recipe in Home Cheese Making, by Ricki Carrol, which has all the cheese recipes I use. 1/2 gallon of milk and 4T of lemon juice or 1t of citric acid dissolved in 1/2 c hot water ( I always use the citric acid ). This ratio is realy the same as above, about 2T lemon juice or 1/2 t citric acid per every quart of milk. Ricki says to bring milk to a boil, stirring often to not scorch, reduce heat to low and dribble in the acid before the foam subsides, leave on low heat for 10-15 seconds. Remove from heat and stir gently until curds form, once they seperate, let sit for 10 minutes. Put cheesecloth in a colander and pour into it, tie up cheesecloth and hold under running lukewarm wter for 5-10 seconds to rinse off coagulant. gently twist the top of the muslin to squeeze out extra whey. Keeping it in the cheesecloth, ether hang to drain or put back into colander with a weight on top, about 2-3 hours ( I think longer than this is better, at least 4)

So -- both are the same realy, for every quart of milk, 2 T lemon or 1/2 t of dissolved citric acid to coagulate.  A quart of milk makes enough paneer for a meal, if you have a large fmily or save half for another meal, use 1/2 gallon milk.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
I wonder, can you use older milk for that?  I have 2 qt a week old.  Too old to drink, too old for yogurt (makes it too sour for us).  My daughter makes Indian food a lot.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
so the gallon was really a hypothetical...sorry.

what about the whey?  what do you all do with that?  it seems shame to toss it.  i don't have animals to feed it to...other than my dh.  :P

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 06:48:21 AM »
so the gallon was really a hypothetical...sorry.

what about the whey?  what do you all do with that?  it seems shame to toss it.  i don't have animals to feed it to...other than my dh.  :P

Smoothies

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
I wonder, can you use older milk for that?  I have 2 qt a week old.  Too old to drink, too old for yogurt (makes it too sour for us).  My daughter makes Indian food a lot.

I say, try it !

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
Smoothies
Good idea.  So how many calories in a cup of whey?
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »
Yum. Remove the cream and make a fresh banana pie with it.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »

:eyebrow:
I have no idea.  I freeze it in silicon muffin pans, they hold about 1/3 cup, and then toss them into a ziploc.  kids take out 2-3 and defrost overnight for the liquid in a fruit smoothie.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »
nutritiondata.com says 60 per 8oz cup.