Author Topic: Thrunite TN4A HI  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Thrunite TN4A HI
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
Hey Everyone,
Here is my review of the Thrunite TN4A HI. This is a wicked little pop can light that produces slightly over 1000 lumens and really has some great throw, all the while using common AA's. I would recommend using eneloop pro's (if you want rechargeable cells) or lithium cells to ensure you are getting the maximum lumens and runtimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5op4VM_PI&t=9s

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help out with.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Thrunite TN4A HI
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
I might be forced to get one of these,I especially like the AA power and ENELOOP AA cells have a long history of good performance for me.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »
The light in the video was a gift from me to my dad. He has some property and a horse pasture, so I wanted to get him a light with some throw. But I also didn't want to overwhelm him with a special charger and batteries, so the fact that he can use AA's is a huge plus. I found a good deal on a four pack of eneloop pro AA's with a charger that I gave him with the flashlight. We got the batteries charged up and stepped out front to test it out at night and we were both stunned. Really amazing the amount of light and distance that this thing can put out. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced "thrower" flashlight that don't want special Li-ion batteries. If the weather cooperates I will try to post some sort of night time beam shots so everyone can get a idea of what this light is capable of.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
Karma here too,now that I am allowed to give it. I have a 4 X 1860 light that looks like this one and I use on occasion as a 'light up the yard' beam and they are very good. This 4 AA has me interested as I love ENELOOPs ,though I have found that in high current devices that the 'regular' 2000 MAH ENELOOP performs better and gives longer life than the higher rated cells in flashlights,Ham radios,and camera flashes the 2000 mah or so ENELOOP lasts longer. Maybe the higher rated cells will get better though I think chemistry is the problem with the higher rated cells.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
the HI in the title makes all the difference! Cannot have a look at my measurements but this version of the LED increases range about 2.5 times or more...

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Karma here too,now that I am allowed to give it. I have a 4 X 1860 light that looks like this one and I use on occasion as a 'light up the yard' beam and they are very good. This 4 AA has me interested as I love ENELOOPs ,though I have found that in high current devices that the 'regular' 2000 MAH ENELOOP performs better and gives longer life than the higher rated cells in flashlights,Ham radios,and camera flashes the 2000 mah or so ENELOOP lasts longer. Maybe the higher rated cells will get better though I think chemistry is the problem with the higher rated cells.
That is interesting that you have had that experience with the Eneloops. I don't own any of the Pros yet but if I get some perhaps I can set up an experiment of sorts. It would kind of make sense just because of the difference in chemistries, perhaps I should ask around on the flashlight forums and see if I can get a more scientific answer. Thanks for the Karma! ;D

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
the HI in the title makes all the difference! Cannot have a look at my measurements but this version of the LED increases range about 2.5 times or more...
That is what I was told about the light as well, that if you wanted a thrower then you definitely wanted the HI version. Plus the fact that you can get a cool white or neutral white is just plain awesome.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
...... This 4 AA has me interested as I love ENELOOPs ,though I have found that in high current devices that the 'regular' 2000 MAH ENELOOP performs better and gives longer life than the higher rated cells in flashlights,Ham radios,and camera flashes the 2000 mah or so ENELOOP lasts longer. Maybe the higher rated cells will get better though I think chemistry is the problem with the higher rated cells.

this is to be expected, as a general rule...the higher the capacity the smaller the ability to withstand a load...back in the day, people used Elite 1500 & 1700 for maglite Xenon modifications that produced 2000 lumens... I tried to be a smart as(h) and got me Energizer 2500s, only to see the bulb just barely glow....

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
That is interesting that you have had that experience with the Eneloops. I don't own any of the Pros yet but if I get some perhaps I can set up an experiment of sorts. It would kind of make sense just because of the difference in chemistries, perhaps I should ask around on the flashlight forums and see if I can get a more scientific answer. Thanks for the Karma! ;D

I have found good comparisons in testing of different capacity cells in camera flash units

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
I am interested in your findings....

yesterday we had a talk on batteries in our photography club. I theorized that the 2000mAh eneloops are better for flashes -instead of the 2500mAh ones- cos they should be charging the unit faster (due to their better Amp draw handling)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
I am interested in your findings....

yesterday we had a talk on batteries in our photography club. I theorized that the 2000mAh eneloops are better for flashes -instead of the 2500mAh ones- cos they should be charging the unit faster (due to their better Amp draw handling)

Yes,the 2000 MAH cells have lower internal resistance and are better for high current devices.

Offline Mjolnir

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
Well as I promised in my video, I finally got to take this light out and do a little bit of a night time demonstration of what it is capable of. This video also has the Eagtac PX30-R in it plus a bonus light!!!  ;) Sorry it took awhile, but I hope that this can be a help to anyone who is considering any of these lights. This video will also be posted in the Eagtac PX30 thread I started.

https://youtu.be/F-NVOGBVhHE