Author Topic: Self-defense in "safe" rural areas  (Read 1564 times)

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Self-defense in "safe" rural areas
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
A cautionary tale from Middle-Of-Nowhere, southeastern Washington.

You suppose it would be safe for a young girl to go out for a run on the little private airstrip in the center of this image?  Luckily, this story has a happy ending, because the girl was prepared!

Paterson girl fights off attacker with pepper spray

Deputies are looking for a man who attacked a middle school girl near Paterson and was fought off with pepper spray on Tuesday.

Sheriffs’ deputies from Benton and Klickitat counties are searching for a man who attacked the girl as she was running along an airstrip near her home on Alderdale Road west of Paterson on Tuesday.

She used pepper spray against the attacker to get away, according to the Paterson School District. He was sprayed in the face and the spray contained a red dye. ...

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Self-defense in "safe" rural areas
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
Another young girl who was out running in a "safe" area, and successfully defended herself with pepper spray.  (Reported on FerFAL's blog by one of his readers.)

Failed kidnapping attempt: Preparing one’s Children to Defend Themselves

...This last Saturday, my nine year old daughter decided to go for a run around the neighborhood. (We have lived here for three years and know all of our neighbors.) My wife and I allowed her to go as we believe as parents it is in the interests of our children for them to learn to be independent with guidance. We asked her to take some pepper spray with her, which she thankfully did. We have talked and practiced various safety drills, including against kidnappers.

While my daughter was rounding a corner, a man (stranger) came out of the tree line and grabbed her, pinning her arms down and covering her mouth. He began to drag her back to the trees. My daughter could not move her hands, but she immediately went to other options. She struggled without stopping. He turned her around to carry her over his shoulder, and when he did so, she kicked him in the knee, forcing him to partially drop her. She then freed her hand and sprayed him full in the face and ran away by a different route, and right by some neighbors who were blowing leaves.

We know this situation could have ended differently, but thanks to our practice and preparation, our daughter is with us and unharmed. She does not appear traumatized, in part, I believe, because she knew what to do and was confident in herself. She was able to keep her head and act. ...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Good job to both of these girls.  A shame that apparently they did not catch the asshole that attacked the girls.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »
find the guys, string em up...

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
Just saw these posts. It has been going on forever. I grew up in a rural area at the end of a long gravel road in the early 60s.  We were told at a early age (5, 6) not to go close to any cars “sightseeing” and asking us questions. OK to give directions but from a distance and run if anyone gets out. Even as kids we were aware there are had people roaming around preying on the unexpected. It doesn’t surprise me the rural parents of these girls taught them to be aware and prepared for danger.  Kudos to the girls for heeding the advice and acting decisively and energetically in self defense.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
Only pepper spray? Why not a gun?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

she was 12-14.  Contrary to international news reports, it is not a "wild west" with guns here in America.  We do not arm children unless we are teaching them shooting skills AT THE RANGE.

ah, sorry.  I was responding to the original article.  The girl in the more recent article was 9, but my comment stands.

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

The two examples above concerned girls in the 9-13 year age range.