Photobucket

Author Topic: Unexpected Prep  (Read 373 times)

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
Unexpected Prep
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
My wife recently delivered our second child by emergency c-section.  It's a long story, but our wonderful church congregation has been bringing meals by to help let her rest and heal.  But between work, being the parent for my other child, and running errands for my resting wife, I didn't feel like doing dishes.  So they stacked up until my great father in law came over and did them.  But then I remembered the stash of paper plates, and plastic cups, forks, spoons, and knifes that we kept on hand for parties and such.  What a head slapping moment.  I'm also going to buy a small pack of each, put them together and give them away next time I sign up to give someone dinner like we've been given, because 'Duh!' if they can't cook, they're probably not up to doing dishes.
The doctor told me when I was born that my chances of getting out of this life alive were slim.
Check out my YouTube Dutch Oven A Day and dutchovenaday.com.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Unexpected Prep
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
My wife recently delivered our second child by emergency c-section.  It's a long story, but our wonderful church congregation has been bringing meals by to help let her rest and heal.  But between work, being the parent for my other child, and running errands for my resting wife, I didn't feel like doing dishes.  So they stacked up until my great father in law came over and did them.  But then I remembered the stash of paper plates, and plastic cups, forks, spoons, and knifes that we kept on hand for parties and such.  What a head slapping moment.  I'm also going to buy a small pack of each, put them together and give them away next time I sign up to give someone dinner like we've been given, because 'Duh!' if they can't cook, they're probably not up to doing dishes.

This is a definite "used my preps today" we often have personal, short term emergencies where preps come in hand !

I have also found meals sent over a godsend when you already have a child/children at home !

Congratulations on the new addition, and keep doing all you can to keep mom off her feet ! Tell her my hint to her is to not get out of her PJ's and to not (excepting nesc bathroom stuff) walk around at all. For like a month, if possible. Or, 2 weeks nothing, then the next 2 almost nothing . It seems to me, that once mom puts on something other than a bathrobe and moves to the living room to sit on the couch, it is all over, despite best intentions she is soon doing too much for the healing that realy should happen
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
Absolutely we are keeping my wife in bed as much as we can.  She sneaks out to the couch after we put our daughter to bed.  Thankfully my daughter is understanding too and we will be sending her to grandmas house when my mom is free during spring break in a few weeks.  Yay!
The doctor told me when I was born that my chances of getting out of this life alive were slim.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
Absolutely we are keeping my wife in bed as much as we can.  She sneaks out to the couch after we put our daughter to bed.  Thankfully my daughter is understanding too and we will be sending her to grandmas house when my mom is free during spring break in a few weeks.  Yay!

Since you are one of the husbands who realizes what is needed, sneaking out to have a change of scenery to the living room is ok when it's only you there. But, your daughter would see things more black and white, is Mom convalescing or back to being do everything Mom ?
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
Her doctors orders are not to lift anything heavier than the baby.  First week is down of recovery.  Our daughter knows that she can't do much with mom but sit by her in bed, and she is fine with that for now.  She needs to recover til the stitches are healed and the doc gives the ok

Offline Odin's Son

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
WOW! I cant believe i have never thought of that!  My wife and i try to help out with meals and things when one of our friends are hurt/sick but neither of us ever considered giving plates,cups, silverware too.  I cant wait to tell my wife this so we can do it next time.  Thanks!

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:51 AM »
Congrats!  My wife has had C-sections for all 5 of our children.  The first c-section is the hardest/most painful to recover from.  Fortunately (if that applies for C-sections) for us, is that her first C-section was for our first child.  And if you have children already, then it makes it a bit tougher. 

Each of our doctors also recommended to not lift anything heavier than the baby.  But for each one they recommended getting out of bed and walking.  Movement and muscle stimulation actually helps the healing process. 

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:00:06 AM »
Its been almost two weeks now.  Lots of rest still but she is up and moving some days.  She feels it still, but thankfully things are going well.