Author Topic: Controversial Topic on is a 'Possum a Pest  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Better Together Life

• Prepper
  • BetterTogetherLife.com
    • Our Blog & Vlog
Controversial Topic on is a 'Possum a Pest
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I run a YouTube channel over at Youtube.com/bettertogetherlife

I recently posted a video about a 'Possum that is eating my garden and I also have backyard rabbits.  The video was meant to be funny but it certainly did not come off that way.  About 50% told me I should have killed it right away...while the other 50% were super angry and offended by me and unsubscribed.  I lost 30 subscribers that day.

Before I show the video I would love to ask that this NOT be a bashing me thread.  I have since learned that 'possums are the vultures of the ground and that they do the clean up.  And that they eat their weight in ticks and mosquitos.  ***I did not know that.  As a YouTuber and content creator sometimes we make mistakes.  And this must have been one of them. 

So please try and give me honest critical advise on are possums good or bad on the homestead.

Here is the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtwKk4UmDeQ

Thank you for your help.  I truly can not wait to be apart of this homesteading community come the fall.  And I know that I have a WHOLE LOT to learn!

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Re: Controversial Topic on is a 'Possum a Pest
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
I don't think they are a threat in general, but my family has lost chickens to opossum.  As rule, if they are found within the barn yard, they will be killed.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:35 AM »
  Though not normally aggressive,a possum is a disease carrying threat to your pets,animals,and family and in the city...Animal Control should take care of it...in the country,a CB or BB cap 22 cartridge in a 22 rifle is quiet and effective. I have a possum that eats my dogs left over Milk Bones ,dog biscuits ,at night and remains a loner as it only comes by when the dog is in the house...I just let it be till such time that it comes around when Dog and I are outside.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »
Sorry you lost people. Anyway to do a "I learned about Opossum's" video?

I wasn't a fan of them. Then I heard - don't know if it is true - that they eat ticks. I HATE TICKS. If Opossum's eat ticks then I am all about Opossum habitat restoration. Ok, that is a stretch. I would harass them so they understand that we are to be feared and left alone. After dark, around perimeters is fine.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
I leave them be unless they get in the chicken pen, or.........my garden. In my garden, if they are not in the coon trap, they get shot.

Otherwise, we leave em be. Yea, they are a cleanup crew. Eat their own roadkill, etc

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
Generally in the immediate farm yard they are a pest and a nuisance. They will kill chickens and quail given a chance, and they will not just kill one. I kill opossums on sight. Every animal has a purpose and a place, but the opossums place isn't my farm yard.

The thing on opossums eating ticks is on one study on a different subject. Eating their own weight wasn't the estimate, it was 5,000 ticks or so and it was just a guess by someone, not hard science. Since then it has been used to say opossums are mass tick eaters. I don't doubt they eat some ticks, but if they ate as many as some people say I wouldn't have any ticks because I sure have the opossum population to control them, so I have to call BS. Plenty of critters eat just as many ticks without causing near the problems.

The vast majority of people have no experience with farming or even close contact with nature. They live detached from reality.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
Keep them out horse hay and feed. Feces from possums in horse food, can cause Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM), which attacks their central nervous system. It is ugly. I have had to help put down several horses with it.

Cedar

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:07:37 AM »
They leave the most disgusting big piles of turds in the yard.  A friend found one hauling away their outdoors cat by the neck. And they don't back down easily.  I grew up never seeing a possum or raccoon in our place on Puget Sound. Then around the early 1990s it seems first the raccoons started showing up as roadkill and a few years later it was opossums everywhere.  I understand the reproduce like crazy.

I chase away the ones I find and tolerate the others but am sorely tempted to use some CB cap .22LR to eradicate them.  Seems to be the worst in the fall.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 05:07:43 AM »
but am sorely tempted to use some CB cap .22LR to eradicate them.  Seems to be the worst in the fall.

Good luck with that. A friend sunk a crossbow bolt into the skull of one, and it took 20 mins for it to die in my book

Cedar

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:11:27 AM »
Good luck with that. A friend sunk a crossbow bolt into the skull of one, and it took 20 mins for it to die in my book

Cedar

Oh geez!  Maybe I better step up the 12 ga slugs then. :D  They are tough buggers.  I've clubbed them over the head several times with a broom stick and they just snarl at me.  They are ugly just sitting there, but when they get perturbed they are even uglier. 

Hmmm, I guess I need Plan B, which might be live traps, drive them out to the woods...

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
Grandpa used to leave all the critters a bowl of antifreeze. Different times.

It is amazing the hoops we jump through that a .22 would solve. You'd think your neighbors would be happy if you dispatch a varmint.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
Garden season, when the cantaloupe's are approaching the ripe stage, is when the coons and possums tend to show up. So I set the trap next to the cantaloupe.
If/when I trap one, I treat them to free swimming lessons in the stock tank.  ;D
Less messier that way than shooting them in the trap, then hauling them to the back of the property and leaving them to dine with the coyotes. Then having to wash the trap out.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »
  I have a recipe but even my dog won't eat possum unless she is very hungry.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
Wife shot one out in the driveway earlier this year. It was at the edge of the drive, in the grass by the woods so we left it. Our 2 dogs are constantly dragging cow bones or deer hides from across the road out of the pasture.
But that opossum stayed right there where it died.   :stop: They don't touch em either.