Author Topic: Opportunity Buy: 100 lbs of Chicken for $24.29  (Read 732 times)

Offline tumtum73

• Prepper
  • IT G33k
Opportunity Buy: 100 lbs of Chicken for $24.29
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
Jack talks about taking advantage of opportunity buys when available.  At my local Food Lion in Smithfiled, VA they got in 12 cases of chicken leg quarters and needed to get rid of them FAST!  I had an extra chest freezer that my parents gave me, 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so I set it up in an empty space in my garage and went to the store and bought two cases.  Each case has 5 x 10 lb bags of chicken leg quarters.  That's 100 lbs of chicken for ~25 cents / lb.  You can see in the receipt below that the regular price is $.79 / lb or $7.90 per bag - I paid $2.37 per bag

Mind you it is not farm raised, non-GMO, free range chicken but as Jack says it beats watching your kids starve.  We do purchase farm raised, non-GMO, free range chicken from a local producer when we have the money because it is certainly much more expensive ($4.75/lb on average) but  also more tasty and healthy for us. 

All in all, it was a great day, I went to the local Farmer's Market expecting to find some seed or plants for the garden and came up empty but found this deal in the grocery store, go figure.

Always be on the lookout and know what is a good deal or not.

Thanks,
tumtum
Stephen Correia
USMC/SGT    4066
     1991-2001

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.  -Malcolm X

The only fair tax is no tax. Government is the root of all evil, and the 2nd Amendment is the LAW.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Opportunity Buy: 100 lbs of Chicken for $24.29
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »
That is a very low price !

How about canning up some of it, when you have time, so it isn't all dependent on grid being up?

I am one of the few vegetarians on here, but I remember back when I was much younger, and ate chicken, that those leg thigh quarters were always the best buy, it is certainly the meat I was buying and cooking in everything. I never caught the equivalent of this extreme of a sale
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline tumtum73

• Prepper
  • IT G33k
Re: Opportunity Buy: 100 lbs of Chicken for $24.29
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »
meh, grid shmid, I have my inverter backup battery system ala Steven Harris.  :)

We will most likely make larger meals than usual and can the extras, but that's sort of business as usual.

Thanks for the comment.

tumtum
Stephen Correia
USMC/SGT    4066
     1991-2001

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.  -Malcolm X

The only fair tax is no tax. Government is the root of all evil, and the 2nd Amendment is the LAW.