Author Topic: "small" generator question  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Thunderhawkburner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
"small" generator question
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm doing a little research for a couple of friends just getting into prepping. The big two generators are of course the Honda and Yamaha.

Generac iX2000 is the newcomer on the market. Does anybody have info on the new Generacs yet?

The Honda's still seem to be the cream of the crop with the EU2000 series. I especially like the fact that I can wire them together to increase output. (Another buddy and I both have them.

The Yamaha's seem to be pretty nice, but I only know about them through the TSP forums.

Thanks in advance!
TH

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: "small" generator question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:05:28 AM »
You do need to look at your application.   I haven't been able to justify the cost yet.  But I'm leaning towards the Yamaha EF2400iSHC.  When I finally pull the trigger, I need it to be able to run the AC on my camper.  From my research, the Honda won't do it.  I'd have to step up to the 3000W Honda.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »
Forgot to add that another that I've considered is the Champion generator.
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-75537I-Portable-Generator/p15662.html

Reviews really well. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:18:46 AM »
I have been runnng a Honda generator almost daily for eight months now. It is not mine, borrowed, but I love it. Starts on the first pull, pretty quiet, not a fuel hog.

Cedar

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Most of Generac's offerings are not well thought of by folks that use and service(or try to service) them. When the one you're asking about was introduced a few years ago, I looked at them and then found more than a few unfavorable reviews of them. I think generac made some changes to fix most of the complaints with that model, but I'm not 100% sure. http://www.amazon.com/Generac-5793-Starting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002NKMG66 http://www.amazon.com/Generac-6719-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00TSJZEZ0/ref=dp_ob_title_garden  Reviews don't look too good on the new version either.  :-\ 

I've read quite a few good reviews on the Champion 2kw inverter unit and if I'm not mistaken, they can also be paralleled easily for more output like the Honda.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »
I have a Briggs and Stratton 6500 watt. It has kept the lights on and pretty much everything going in our house during numerous outages.
It starts on second or third pull and runs great.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
I like the looks of the Honda. I'll probably go with the eu2000 when I pull the trigger. Like Fritz, I've considered the 3000, but 2 of the 2000's are about the same price, and you get 1000 more watts when you run them together, plus you have the ability to only run one (for less fuel consumption) when you only need one, easier portability as well. With all of that, I really don't see a reason to go up to the 3000 unless you wanted to hook 2 of those together to get 6000 watts.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »
     Could someone explain the seemingly "low" wattage outputs of inverter generators? My main concern is being able to "spin up" my well pump motor. To do this I need about 7000w momentary to get the motor started. Once it gets going, the draw drops dramatically. I have a very noisy regular Generac 11 horse that will do it, but I'm thinking of something that doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood. Is the limit on inverter output related to the cost of large output inverters? Also, a gas engine is a gas engine. How do they keep the inverter generator units so quiet?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
     Could someone explain the seemingly "low" wattage outputs of inverter generators? My main concern is being able to "spin up" my well pump motor. To do this I need about 7000w momentary to get the motor started. Once it gets going, the draw drops dramatically. I have a very noisy regular Generac 11 horse that will do it, but I'm thinking of something that doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood. Is the limit on inverter output related to the cost of large output inverters? Also, a gas engine is a gas engine. How do they keep the inverter generator units so quiet?

If I had that problem, I'd recharge a battery bank capable of a rapid discharge and just use a free standing inverter (assuming your pump is AC).
What we're really after here is a big current draw (amps) in a short amount of time - similar to cold cranking a car engine.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
Inverters just don't handle a startup load well ,unless they are way over rated for the wattage needed to start the device.
The inverter/generator is quieter when not under full load because it regulates the motor speed according to load needs and often the inverter will handle a brief 'spike' to start something...but not over the inverter rating as solid state electronics is just not 'over built' these days.

A typical 'contractor'  grade generator often does not have speed controls as it (the motor and generator) must produce 60 cycle power with engine/generator speed and most require a 3600 RPM to produce power and frequency,rather than the inverter/generator producing the voltage and frequency while the motor and generator only revs up for power level .

You might investigate a SOFT START KIT for your well,or think about above ground water storage for night time use as your generator will last a lot longer when not run 24 hours a day at what must be high cost for fuel and service (you do change the oil often?)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
     My generator was professionally installed into the household circuit. It only gets used for a monthly "warmup" and is for power outage usage. Utility current is what keeps everything running otherwise. In the 16 years that I've had the unit I think I've only had to use it as emergency backup twice. It has it's own "doghouse" and gets regular maintenance, fresh stabilized gas and oil/filter changes. I guess it falls into the rather have it and not need it category.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 08:14:43 PM »
Inverter generators are actually generators...meaning they produce DC current. This is then rectified by some half wave diodes and electronics to produce clean AC. The electronics also control engine speed, which varies according to the load. The engines are pretty quiet mechanically, but they also install a very restrictive and quiet muffler to reduce exhaust noise. I'd have to check to be sure, but being an actual generator, they probably don't run at 3600 rpm as typical generators do.

Standard "generators" are actually alternators and produce AC current. Cheap box store units use a 2 pole alternator head, which requires 3600 rpm to produce 120v or 240v at 60 hertz. Higher quality "generators" use a 4 pole head and can run at 1800 rpm to produce the same 120/240v @ 60hz. There are other pole configurations, but these are most common. Lower rpm = less mechanical noise. All of these units are going to have a mechanical governor to regulate engine speed as load increases or decreases.

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Generator is near the top of my list of 'to-buy's'. I got to looking at them and finally determined...since i don't need something Ultra portable, i'm going to skip the highly recommend EU2000 (or a similar inverter version), Get a good normal generator for 1/3 of the cost, then put the rest of the money into a back-up battery bank.

Really think about what you want it for. In my case, i am most worried about the freezers warming up during an outage when i am not around. Solve that with a battery bank, use an inexpensive generator to recharge it and power anything else i want.

Offline borderbill

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
I just posted in another category, but-------I've had a couple of Champion generators-great service from the company.  Propane is the way to go.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »
I should have updated this thread.   I bought a Champion "dual fuel" 3400 watt generator.  It has no problem running the AC on our camper.  But it's not terribly quiet.  It is much quieter than a work site generator, but it is not as quiet as a Honda inverter generator. 

I'm not a fan of running a generator while camping, so the volume of the generator ensures that I don't run it when not needed.