Author Topic: Mountain Moma's 2017 Garden  (Read 3454 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Mountain Moma's 2017 Garden
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »
Ok, so due to health problems late 2015-2016, the garden beds, most of them, were severely let go. So, almost like starting over. I do not have the beautiful, mulched, weed free beds like I did in my 2014 thread. Last year I grew things in half the beds, but didnt get them "put to bed" for the winter properly, and the other half of the beds were just full of weeds the entire year.

We will see what this year brings and how much of it will pull together !

Gardening started in Jan 2017 with the arrival of a coe's comfrey order, planting out of 1 pound of Inchilium Red garlic, and starting of onion seeds, 2 types, New York Early and Newburg. Onions seeds were planted thickly in a small flat, on the propagation heat mat, with a cut open plastic bag over the top to keep in the humidity.

This picture was taken today, after I planted out as much New York early as I had room for. I normally set out more, so you see the extra set to the side, my lack of enough bed space prepped means less storage onions. The rest, some will go to green onions, some I will share

This is as much room as I can spare right now. The far end of this bed has the garlic I set out in January, and it is doing great, middle section is the New York Early onion starts, and they are going to make it, the rough mulch of pulled weeds in the foreground will get the Newburg onions soon.

The Comfrey has sprouted and is getting overdue to set out

It is hard to see, with such a rough bed and the weeds left as mulch, but the far end has a bit of bok choi, down the right side is transplanted Umpqua brocolli I started from seed, and the close end has a few kale and chard plants. One of the chards has been eaten down. I plan on having the peas down the whole length in the center, but the bug load is high, so I did not direct seed

I soaked the pea seed for 24 hours, then put in these 2 dishes very thickly to sprout. One is Cascadia sugar snaps and the other is Oregon Giant

Tomato seeds have sprouted, just a few varieties: Main crops of Crimson Sprinter, Rocepco, Amish paste and then a few others Black Krim, Brandywine, and blue gold (a cherry tomato). One pepper variety is all I had seed for, and it is planted and hasnt sprouted yet. I always forget how long it takes, and how much earlier it should have been done

The large apple tree is starting to bloom. the garden may be a mess, but what a beautiful tree to cheer me up !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:32:35 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Mountain Moma's 2017 Garden
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:51:55 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
Looks fine MM I say that because my beds look much worse :P

Progress is progress, and you are making progress. I still have 30 or so days to start my garden.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
I'm VERY jealous of your apple tree!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
I should borrow a camera more often, sorry.

Ok, so the garlic did very well, it was inchelium red and I have a bunch of beautiful, large garlic heads, and I will save some for next years seed, so next year I will have a larger area. The onions also did much better than when I bought started plants, I think New York Early will be my favorite, but I will need to wait and see how the storage goes. I bent down the onon tops as some were doing it on their own, and am not watering to let them finish.

The tomato plants I started from seed did well, were transplanted, and then DEER got into the garden and ate the tops of the brocolli, which had beautiful heads I was about to harvest and freeze, and ate the lower fruit tree branches and ate the tomato plants. Lady gardening neighbors pitched in and gave me some replacement plants, about 6 tomato, so I replace those to the ones eaten all the way, and the others recovered. It means I have not harvested one yet, but they are doing well and have fruit set

This is the bed that had the brocolli and greens, and it is a bit wild with flowering weeds, but I get a teeny bit of brocolli side shoots, and have been eating greens every day from it

This bed, I put in end of June, and I am realy happy with it, it is late, but is doing well. The thing I tried on half of it was to interplant sunflowers with cucumbers, and it is keeping the cucumbers happy in the heat. There is also 2 Costata Romanesca summer squash ( zuchini ) and at the end a few Italian peppers. The peppers are looking pretty sad. I need to remember to start pepper seeds before tomato seeds !

This last, sad bed is winter squash, and it was started so late, it likely wont mature, but you never know !