Author Topic: Porcupine Kate's Garden 2017  (Read 10311 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Porcupine Kate's Garden 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
This sort of digging up seedlings looks like a skunk did it.  Could be a woodchuck since they love my garden.   I garden in NH and voles and moles are used to lots of rocks due to living in the Granite State. My property is glacial sand so it is easy to dig in, full of rocks, low in nutrients and low in organic matter.

I used to live in Virginia and Colorado , but paid little interest in gardening at that early age, almost any critter is going to take advantage of an easy meal...maybe a no-kill trap will entice them in for catch and release elsewhere...good luck.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
I harvest the oregano from Godzilla.  Lots of weeding and bed prep happened this afternoon and my husband spent the evening mowing the grass.  Hopefully we will get caught up with the gardening this weekend.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
This morning my husband and I went to Home Depot to get some rolls of brown rolls of brown paper to experiment using under wood chips.  While we were there we found blueberry bushes on clearance for $4.00 each.  I bought 8 of them.  I also picked up iris, day lily, and Asiatic lilies for half price.  So I have more to plant. :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
  Good work on bargain bushes and I am curious on how the brown paper works out for you.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
This is anew problem.  This apple tree has sunk several inches and now leans and is quite loose.  Something must be digging around under it.  I am wondering what if anything we can do to save it. 

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
More photos of the garden.  I have most of the garden planted for the season.  I still have some flowers to get in the ground and some new blueberry shrubs I picked up on a whim. 

The hebd bed has been largely ignored this season.  It needs a good weeding and I wan to add more flowers to it. 

Here is a view from under the birch tree of the lower garden.  On the left side of the image is our row of ribes.  They are mostly raspberries with a couple of blackberries and jostaberries mixed in.  The rest are my annual beds.

Here is a view of the same beds from the bottom of the hill.  Most things are just sprouting since we have had a cool wet spring.

I am happy that our third attempt to establish an asparagus patch in the garden is doing well.

I would love to have my pole beans climb this cattle panel archway but the wood chuck loves Rattlesnake Pole Bean seedling are almost as tasty as my broccoli seedlings. Behind them are garlic, bunching onions, potato onions and a happy rhubarb.

These beds are just getting started and I am looking forward to the plants getting big enough so I can mulch them. 

I don't think the sweet potatoes are going to make it. 

Here is another shot of the herb bed.  It is a swale berm and contains herbs, shrubs and flowers.  The shrubs include highbush cranberry, blueberry, aronia berry, sour cherry, and a sweet crab apple tree.

This is my current project now that the veggies are in.  The Boston Button flowers are taking over so I am thinning them out and planting other flowers in their place.  I will be tucking a few blue berries in because you can't have too many blueberries. 

I need to cut down the comfrey but the strawberries are doing well. I love having fresh strawberries everyday.

We are almost out of the wood chips the tree trimmers delivered this winter.  We will get more from the town transfer station but I loved having them delivered. In the beds I have snap peas, carrots, diakon radish, and parsnips.

I was hoping these would be covered in green tomatoes already but no such luck. They are a dwarf cherry variety that I planted out early in the cold frame but  they waited to start flowering.

Here is my kitchen garden.  The wood chuck has enjoyed it so the snap peas are a little munched on.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
  It looks good to me as gardens depend so much on weather and water. My hand tossed garden really is just within a weed lot and only critters share the spoils. I still get plenty from it and actually do no work except to toss the seeds.

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
On the Apple tree, I have had voles chew off the roots of young trees/bushes. It usually only happens in early spring though. Check your roots. I have cut some way back and replanted with some success.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
looking great !

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
It has been a while.  I keep forgetting to take photos because I keep getting distracted and I start various gardening chores.   :badgarden:

I love that my front yard looks like this.

I have herbs and lettuce as an under story in this bed.

My composting crew.  Unfortunately we had a fox attack earlier this year so they can no longer free range but I toss everything into the run for them to go through and it keeps them happy.

This is the bed with the apple tree that sank due to the voles.  It seems to be doing OK so we see what happens.  We also ripped out a large amount of Boston Button flowers that took over with the drought last year.  I planted new flowers and added 5 blueberries and a red current.

I am finally staring to tomatoes.

It has been a cool spring so the tomatoes are taking forever to get going but the snap peas are still going strong. I had most of this bed under row cover till recently to keep the critters form eating my parsnips.

Flowers

We are using tarps to kill grass and weeds.  My husband was worried that this tarp would be full of mosquitoes. He was wrong.  It is hard to see but this puddle is full of tadpoles.

We have pears for the first time this year.

The garlic is harvested and the potato onions are doing really well.
On the left is my favorite tomato Upstate Oxheart.  This is an heirloom from NY that has 2 to 3 pound fruits.  I have them trellised on a cattle panel and they are very happy. 

The high bush cranberry and the aronia berry shrubs are both full of berries.

The pond is still a wildflower garden. We had to replace the well pump and pressure tank so we are holding off getting a pond liner for another year.

Blackberries this year.  The raspberries are producing too.

I love cattle panel arches. 

We are going to get our first grapes this year.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
It is realy filling in great !

Love the flowers mixed in all around too

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
Karma, You are working hard and the garden is looking great.