Author Topic: Wood Chipper Recommendations  (Read 1159 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
Wood Chipper Recommendations
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
     This Spring I'm finally cleaning up a bunch of brush and small trees. I've had to quit because I don't have anywhere left to go with the cuttings. Any ideas on a good wood chipper/shredder that won't break the bank. Electric isn't worth it. I don't need something that will "eat" telephone poles, but I don't want junk. I guess the price range could be $500 to $800. I have enough long term use that renting one isn't worth it.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Re: Wood Chipper Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Both DR and Troy-Bilt have a chipper shredder in the 800 dollar range.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Online bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
Check Craigslist if you're open to a second hand chipper. 
I'd suggest checking out Tazz if you want a new one.  A friend has one and loves it.  Not sure if this is the one he has, but it's a decent price for a good product.
https://www.amazon.com/Tazz-Chipper-Shredders-Shredder-Engine/dp/B01CHYHMTS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1465179881&sr=1-1&keywords=Tazz+18493+Chipper%2FShredder+K32&linkCode=ll1&tag=chainjourn-20&linkId=7fb9d6a0866727465967feb225d78136
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:05:01 AM »
We found a Troybilt 8hp gas-powered chipper in almost new condition on Craigslist for $350.

A couple of my observations:

Wife cannot start it.  Our chipper has a heavy flywheel connected directly to the engine with no clutch system, so you have to overcome that heavy steel mass to get it going... with a pull-starter.  I'm no weakling, and I have a hell of a time starting it sometimes.

Never believe the sizes they say you can cut.  If it says it cuts up to 4", it'll do 2 or 3 tops.

Ours has a tendency to kinda burn through the dry woods, rather than cut them up.  If you try to chip your pile before it drys out, you'll have an easier go of it.  And yes, I pulled the blade out and it was plenty sharp.  I touched it up while I had it out because it's no tiny task getting to it.

A couple of pros:
As well as the chipper chute, it has a hopper that you can dump leaves into for shredding.  A blower with a vac is much more suitable, but it's a nice value-add.  It's really easy to over-stuff it though.

Ours has pneumatic tires, and a push handle, as well as a detachable bar that you can use to pull it with an atv or riding lawnmower.

Your results may vary, but there's a couple of items to consider.  Hope it helps.  =)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
Just saw this.

If what you've got to chip is small, say 1.5"-2", and green, then the typical big box store chipper is adequate as long as you have lots of time on your hands. If it's any bigger than that, or already dry, then you're far better off renting a commercial type tow behind chipper for a day or two a year. I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the unfortunate truth of chippers.  :(
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
Home Depot might have one for rent...
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
     I bought a Troy Bilt chipper/shredder. Works great on up to 3" branches. Starts easy, 11.5 horse engine. Very happy with it.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
What kind of wood? The last one I used had freshly sharpened blades and wouldn't chip 2" red oak. Green juniper at the same size went through just fine.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 05:24:05 AM »
I put up trying to chip up limbs & etc; for years, using small chipper shredders around 8 HP gas engine driven  went thru 5 of them. still have 1 here in the city location. they are slightly dangerous if they spit back from the big shute.
Finally I Bought something worth my Money ( yes its PTO driven off my Kubota Tractor Or my 19 HP ford Tractor) a Wood-max WM-8M-0004 Wood Maxx 8" $ 2200.   (military discount) & It's the best money i ever spent. it auto feeds .Yes it weighs 1,000 lbs   either Tractor operate it perfectly. Yes they lift it ,drive slowly to just about any Location ,put it down do what has to be chipped up. I put chips in a small wagon behind my Riding Mower, or just let them pile up at the work location. It still can be dangerous.
drop a tree, cut all the limbs up small logs,chip all the unusable stuff. no mess.
I have 24 acres, But 14 acre in trees,plus Perimeter trees, I primarily heat with wood.
keebler.
single. m. Senior, prepper, solar, Vandweller, Camper, Boondocker. living in the woods of southern Va.

Offline racer038

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 07:31:34 AM »
My wood chipper story:  I saw a DR chipper on craigslist at a decent price.  The guy started it, we ground up some limbs, I bought it and took it home.  I imagined using this to supplement the mulch I have with trimmings from the house and with cedar we cut at the farm.  I chipped up everything I had around the house, tree trimmings, branches that fell over winter, some branches I set out back when a neighbor's tree fell, etc.  I worked a good 2 hours and had the equivalent of one bag of mulch.  With mulch at $2 a bag at Lowes, I just "paid" myself $1 per hour.  Thin green branches tended to foul the thing and would not feed.  Self Feeding is a fantasy.  I later took it to the farm, where I had a good bit of cedar limbs available.  I was able to increase my output with cedar to about one bag worth of mulch per hour, doubling my "pay" to $2 per hour.  I haven't started it in four years.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
We have one we got at Lowes (I think) a couple years back.

It works, takes time, more than a bag's worth in an hour. 

Have a daughter home from college who wanted to earn some extra money. We paid her $10 hr to help out.

Husband's comment look how much money we'd have saved if we got a truck load of wood shreddings or/and compost at $10 a truckload and simply burned the stuff.

On the plus side this has fresh leaves shredded in, and we know no pesticides and other chemicals.