Author Topic: Arthritis and Inflamation  (Read 874 times)

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Arthritis and Inflamation
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
So as I get older I've noticed more and more arthritic pain in my right hand, pain in my back, and oddly pain in my left heal.
I'm tired of reaching for the Motrin and it doesn't offer that much relief anyway.
Do any of you know of alternative supplements that might help?

It's getting annoying that I can't spend the time I'd like to in my shop or outside working.

Thanks in advance
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Arthritis and Inflamation
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
LV, something I noticed when I cut out carbs was my arthritis immediately let up – as in by the very next day.  Also, of all the carb sources that seemed to give me trouble, corn was by far the worst.  I know "go paleo" isn't exactly a supplement and may not be what you're looking for, but it did take away about 80% of my pain and inflammation problems.  (Also helped with that annoying swelling around my belt line, but that's another problem.)

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
High quality CBD oil like Charlotte's Web.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
This is something I can help you with.  I have osteoarthritis in all my joints except my knees due to the fact they are now titanium and polyethylene.   I have yet to find a pain med that the side effects aren't a bigger problem so I have some hacks that help a lot.

Get your vitamin D levels checked!  Low vitamin D levels can make your joint pain worse and it is an simple thing to correct.

The best supplements that I have found that help is lots of turmeric and vitamin D.  We are talking 5000 mg per day.  Magnesium supplements may also be helpful.

I love a hot bath right before bed.  It often helps long enough for me to fall asleep.  1/2 cup of Epsom salts in the bath helps too.   

Large gel ice packs are wonderful when you are having those swollen sore days.  I recommend getting at least 2 ice packs in the 11" x 14" size or larger.  Amazon has them for less than $20 and they last forever. 
https://smile.amazon.com/Chattanooga-ColPac-Therapy-Vinyl-Standard-Size/dp/B000EAPNCQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492731768&sr=8-3&keywords=ice%2Bpack&th=1

Diet 
Figuring out what foods trigger an inflammation response will go a long way to reducing the chronic pain. Ideally you cut out a whole bunch of stuff for 6 weeks or so and slowly add foods back in to see what your personal triggers are.  A good food journal and knowing all the ingredients in what you are eating is key for this to work.

Cutting carbs helps somewhat but figuring out what class of sugars gives you an inflammation response will  give you much better relief.  I tried eating Whole  30 Paleo and didn't feel any better.  I then tried a low FODMAP diet due to digestive issues and discovered that lactose, polysaccharides, and oligo-di-monosaccharides give me serious inflammation problems and joint pain.    Many of these sugars are in foods that are really hard to avoid like garlic and onions but it is worth finding out what foods bother you in terms of inflammation and controlling pain.

The best research I am have been able to find on different class of sugars in foods comes from research  on diets for IBS patients.  Monash University has been testing foods for the types of sugars in the carbohydrates and ranking foods based on the amounts of various sugars so can figure what bothers you. The app is $9.00 but worth it if you are serious about reducing inflammation through diet changes.
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

I am also adding more organ meats and fish to my diet to help with nerve pain but I am just starting that so I can't say it is helping yet.  I am sourcing the organ meats from local pasture raised chickens and 100% grass fed beef from local farms. 

Getting doctors involved....

They love to try and give you shots for things and I have never found any of them to be useful. I have found physical therapy to be very useful if you tend to have aggravate the arthritis by not having the painful joint stay in proper alignment.  PT can also help strengthen that muscles around the sore joints and help keep them more stable and reduce grinding in the joint.  This is helpful but expensive. 

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
Thanks all, what are you thoughts on adding Coconut oil?
1944:
2016:

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
I cook with it all the time. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Thanks all, what are you thoughts on adding Coconut oil?

I don't know about joints (I'm hypermobile, so I'm sure it will be an issue soon) but it was a HUGE help in healing my brain issues after my concussions.  I don't think it could hurt.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
I don't think it could hurt.

Good point.
1944:
2016:

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »
There are lots of anti inflammatory food and supplements.

Lose the inflammatory foods-no more sugar, gluten, dairy, or other sensitive foods.

As for supplements in addition to what is already mentioned, one of the best I have found is green lipped mussel extract.  Yes, it sounds crazy, but studies prove it effective. Great thing about it is it helps your body heal, so eventually you won't need to take it anymore.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
My dad used to take glucosamine for his arthritis (not sure if he still does). Note that it only works on osteoarthritis, and not rheumatoid arthritis.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/supplements-herbs/guide/glucosamine.php

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 06:39:08 AM »

break it down whether it is osteo, rehmatoid, gout etc those seem the most common. Listen to the Gary Null show or find episodes he talks about arthritus.
I think fish oil might be good and glucosamine chondroitin for osteo arthritus

https://thegarynullshow.podbean.com/e/the-gary-null-show-052417/

"Gary opens up the program with the latest in health and healing covering the topics of arthritis and joints"