Author Topic: What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline DaMeteor

• Prepper
What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
Hi guys I've been busy with alot of junk lately, I know I haven't been here in over a month LOL. But as I've started to build up my food stockpile (I'm at around a month now) I've realized something: I have basically no fats in my storage LOL. I know that nuts are good for fats but I'm not sure how long they last? Looking for something that has good mix of fats (not just purely saturated fat) to add to my storage for a low cost. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :DDDD
Most people pay life insurance incase they die, I pay into my bunker as insurance incase I live.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
Ghee or canned butter for longer shelf life. Or, just buy more of what you already use and rotate ( ie., whatever liquid oil you already use, butter )

Nuts do not store well, if you like nuts, and eat them routinely, buy more and just keep it rotated. So, If you eat one package of nuts a month, buy 3, this month eat one package, and of month buy a new package and put it on the shelf behind hte other 2, open the front package and eat out of it for the month.

If you eat butter, this is easily rotated and can have extr as you can store butter in the freezer, so you can have 6 pounds in the freezer, and take one pound out a month and buy a new pound to put in back
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline DaMeteor

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Thanks :) Do you know of the cheapest proteins too by the way? I've been storing canned beans but I'm looking for something more cost effective per gram of protein.
Most people pay life insurance incase they die, I pay into my bunker as insurance incase I live.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Thanks :) Do you know of the cheapest proteins too by the way? I've been storing canned beans but I'm looking for something more cost effective per gram of protein.

Quinoa

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

beans and grains are the most inexpensive proteins, you need both. Think black beans and rice, chili with polenta. Rolled oats are good too. You can buy enough grains and beans for one person for a month, packed in #10 cans for 30 year storage from the LDS ( mormon) cannery for a bit over $20. Get 6 #10 sized cans, 1 of beans and 5 of grains. So, maybe to start out, 2 cans of white rice, 2 of rolled oats and one of black beans, the 5th grain one of whichever you think you would eat the most of, probably another of rice....
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »
The vast majority of fats don't store well long term, especially nuts.  They go rancid, smell awful, taste bad, and can actually make you sick.

As far as protein, then yes, beans are great.  Quinoa is also awesome, but make sure you've tried cooking it a time or two before relying on it for survival.  It's not quite as simple as some other grains.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
  Coconut oil,impeller expressed is my choice ,is a solid till above 75 degrees and has many health benefits along with 18 months to 2 year shelf life.
You can use it for cooking or add it to foods as you would margarine or butter , I make pancakes from angel food cake mix (the one with egg whites in the dry mix) and all you need is water and coconut oil (and a little honey ) for a fast tasty breakfast.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
One of the lowest cost per gram of protein that I’ve found for storage foods is split peas.

Re amounts of protein to store.

If I’m getting this, for now while I’m relatively sedentary, I should be aiming to not exceed 2,000 calories per day, to be distributed as:

60g protein (240 calories)
 56 to 78g fat (504 to 702 calories)
 264 to 314g carbs (1,058 to 1,256 calories). 

When “SHTF” I may need up to 2,800 calories per day to be distributed as:

135g protein (540 calories)
109g fat (981)
319g carbs (1279 calories)
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline ga-qhd

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:25:52 AM »
Powdered butter stores reasonably well, though probably not as long as beans or other very long-term storables--I have no idea how it is made, but I have used some that was a few years old and it was okay.  I don't have experience with regular canned butter so can't compare.  When reconstituted, it's somewhat similar to whipped butter, but the consistency depends on how much water is added.  The kind I tried was salted, although unsalted varieties may be available somewhere.  Emergency Essentials sells it and puts it on sale periodically.

Similarly, powdered whole milk (Nido) lasts for a few years but milk obviously has limitations in how it can be used.  I have used a can of Nido a couple of years past its expiration date and it tasted fine.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 06:54:07 AM »
Powdered butter stores reasonably well, though probably not as long as beans or other very long-term storables--I have no idea how it is made, but I have used some that was a few years old and it was okay.  I don't have experience with regular canned butter so can't compare.  When reconstituted, it's somewhat similar to whipped butter, but the consistency depends on how much water is added.  The kind I tried was salted, although unsalted varieties may be available somewhere.  Emergency Essentials sells it and puts it on sale periodically.

Similarly, powdered whole milk (Nido) lasts for a few years but milk obviously has limitations in how it can be used.  I have used a can of Nido a couple of years past its expiration date and it tasted fine.
Nido is awesome.  Powdered whole milk probably did more to reduce childhood disease and child mortality in the US than anything during the period before universal electrification save vaccinations.  I need to test drive the powdered butter.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
  I chose to store my long term fats on my body.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
  I chose to store my long term fats on my body.

+1

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
spam

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 04:21:57 AM »
A good mid range fat ,good for 2-3 years is expressed coconut oil. It has mild sweet coconut flavor,can be used to cook with and tastes good on oatmeal,grits,toast etc and just a bit added salt for those who prefer a more 'buttery' flavor (you will need some salt ,though rarely mentioned)
Many health benefits from coconut oil.

Offline albaprep

• Prepper
  • Homesteading and being prepared
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:54 AM »
We store olive oil in small bottles and keep it sealed. Seems to work well for us on a 6 month rotational system. Easy to add to foods rather than just cooking with it (though we do that too). Keep meanin gto try ghee though as I have heard a lot of people recommend it for longer term storage.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
A good mid range fat ,good for 2-3 years is expressed coconut oil.

I was just going to second the coconut oil. And does not require refrigeration.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
I haven't seen Lard mentioned.
We had the butcher to include the cutoff fat from our last swine. We rendered it down, and have about 12 quarts of lard now.
No refrigeration necessary, and keep it in our storeroom where it is cool.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
We had the butcher to include the cutoff fat from our last swine. We rendered it down, and have about 12 quarts of lard now.

I rendered the last pig fat we butchered, and it tastes awful.  I am not allowed to cook with it.  I cut it into the smallest pieces I could, and used a low setting on the crockpot to melt it down.  What did I do wrong?
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
We did the same with the crock pot. Also used the oven. Crock pot was easier.

Dissolve for a while, pour grease off, keep heating and dissolving until there is hardly anymore oil left to pour. If you get enough oil off, you can bake the rinds until crispy.

When you poured it off, did you use cheesecloth and filter it?
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »

I keep mine frozen in widemouth pints in the freezer until I need them. I am just too hesitant about botulism.
I rendered the last pig fat we butchered, and it tastes awful.  I am not allowed to cook with it.  I cut it into the smallest pieces I could, and used a low setting on the crockpot to melt it down.  What did I do wrong?

Was it castrated? What breed? Some have more taint than other breeds. I use a crockpot/s for mine. I usually render 25# in a 'session', and usually have 50 lbs in the freezer until winter when I have time and such to render. You pretty much sound like you did it right. How does the pork taste?

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
 CRISCO with store ,in a sealed can,8 to 10 years and ,with a wick,provide light,or heat...you can even cook with it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
CRISCO with store ,in a sealed can,8 to 10 years and ,with a wick,provide light,or heat...you can even cook with it.

There must be two threads with this topic going on... My Crisco was bad in 2.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
There must be two threads with this topic going on... My Crisco was bad in 2.

Cedar

Yes,there are two threads and apparently the 8 to 10 years is with refrigeration(and about 2 years in a cool dry place) and the olive oil ,especially the 'light' or nearly clear are next ...but I think expressed coconut oil beats then all.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »

coconut oil has one of the longest shelf lives I think.

Groundnuts are easy to grow and store unless you live in the desert and have good protein content

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »

Curious, when cooled was your lard pure white like hydrogenated lard or some less white color? Did it stay liquid or harden?

The fat I get from cooking a fresh picnic ham with skin on hardens up in the refrigerator and is white.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
Curious, when cooled was your lard pure white like hydrogenated lard or some less white color? Did it stay liquid or harden?

The fat I get from cooking a fresh picnic ham with skin on hardens up in the refrigerator and is white.

How white, or offwhite, or yellow tint, mine has - is which batch I jarred it up from. The first 7/8th of the lard run is usually pure white, just like Crisco or a sheet of paper. If I leave cracklings in, which sometimes I do, as they are not done to eat yet, it can turn the lard off-white and even have several layers of color, the darkest being to the bottom of the jar as it cools/settles.

Softer fat makes for a softer lard, and leaf fat from up neat the kidneys tends to make a harder lard.. which is why I use that fat for making sausage, and using the softer trim fats for lardmaking.

Cedar

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
Thanks Cedar. I've read that leaf lard is reputed to be the "best" lard.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks Cedar. I've read that leaf lard is reputed to be the "best" lard.

Because it is.. That said, it is rare anymore anyone calls it that. And because it is used for quality sausage making it is harder to get, so when you buy cheap sausages that are really greasy? It is because they are not made from leaf fat, but from the more quantity softer fats, that are more abundant. The softer fats release the oils faster, hence the greasy sausage when you heat it.

I am just guessing here as an example, but you might only get 20% leaf fat, and 80% soft fat ratios off a hog.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
  How about the dry butter flakes that are advertised...do they count as fat?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
  How about the dry butter flakes that are advertised...do they count as fat?

I would think so, same as peanut butter. Which is a fat and a protein. The manufactures state:
Shelf-Life:
stores for 3 to 5 years in a cool, dry place
once opened, average shelf-life is 6 to 12 months

I won't use it as it contains BHT.

Cedar