Author Topic: What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
  I guess a pig in a backpack would just be inconvenient to carry? ::)
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

If you manage it, double up on the earplugs... as the victim in the backpack will be screaming as only a porcine can.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Curious, when cooled was your lard pure white like hydrogenated lard or some less white color? Did it stay liquid or harden?

The fat I get from cooking a fresh picnic ham with skin on hardens up in the refrigerator and is white.

I'd say it's all an off white color. Brighter to begin with, then gradually darkened somewhat.

Took a while to set up. 3-4 days and it all hardened up
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Thunderhawkburner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Can you pressure can your lard in mason jars? It should then be shelf stable for years.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Interesting question. Butter is canned isn't it, what process don't know.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
Nope, nope, nope on the pressure canning. Botulism central. My open jar I keep in the fridge,the rest are in the freezer. Pound a pint. I usually keep 25 pints on hand

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:45 PM »
Nope, nope, nope on the pressure canning. Botulism central. My open jar I keep in the fridge,the rest are in the freezer. Pound a pint. I usually keep 25 pints on hand

Cedar

Not the same as yogurt either, Botulism is bad stuff. I found something  (2 things)that may be of interest:

http://www.happypreppers.com/oil.html

http://www.preparednesspro.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-storing-oilsfats

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
I've found every kind of answer about lard on the net. Nothing really consistent .

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »

Bacon seed wouldn't be much weight to pack around.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
I've found every kind of answer about lard on the net. Nothing really consistent .

I like to err on the side of caution. Especially in an emergency situation. Already had health issues under pressure, dont wanna do it again. But since I have had LTS since 1996, I have not had to have extreme emergency emergency food stores. I just store and rotate around a 18 month supply.

Cedar

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »
This thread is causing me to rethink how I keep store bought lard. Store bought because I'm in a city and can't have pigs. I usually buy either the cardboard bricks or 4 lb. plastic bucket. Keep it on a shelf over the stove. Bacon grease in a container setting on the cabinet. I just bought a 3 lb. brick of lard and was going to put it in the cleaned empty lard bucket I have. Now I'm thinking after reading the posts and links Carl posted that I'll melt it and put it in pints canning jars. Still keeping one jar over the stove.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 04:41:04 AM »
  Sounds like a plan as FATS is just not a stable ,long storage kind of thing and the PIGMELON has yet to be invented.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 06:12:27 AM »
Also thinking that one piece canning lids would be the way to go. Less fumbling later when using the jar. Or put a plastic lid on the jar being used.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Single-Piece-Canning-Lid-G70-Gold-Button-P276.aspx

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
You don't have to own a pig. Stop in at a custom butcher/ slaughter house and ask them to save you back 25-50# of pork fat. It's less than $2 a pound. They will tell you when it ought to be ready, and it usually comes in 25 lb bags.

Cedar

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
Yes, there is that option.

This place needs a thumbs up thingy.  ;D

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
The vast majority of fats don't store well long term, especially nuts.  They go rancid, smell awful, taste bad, and can actually make you sick.

As far as protein, then yes, beans are great.  Quinoa is also awesome, but make sure you've tried cooking it a time or two before relying on it for survival.  It's not quite as simple as some other grains.

I have successfully stored almonds for 3 years and then eaten them. Both in plastic vacuum sealed bags and also in mylar sealed bags with just oxygen absorbers.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
  I talked to Mom and she corrected me..Grandma would use pure lard or CRISCO and melt it slowly till liquid then pour it into a ball jar and pour melted sealing wax on top...in the root cellar,it was not unusual for it to last 6 to 8 years as I though I had remembered...was there any other magic? I am not sure .

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »
Like paraffin, right?

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »
  Yes,but she called it 'sealing wax' ...us grand kids used to get some to chew on ...Mom says that Grandma would pour a little on top of some things she canned as her jars were old and the wax did a better job of keeping the jars sealed from air..Her jars were the glass top with a rubber seal ring and a wire 'latch' that held the glass top under spring tension...Sorry ,remembering things from my teen years is not so detailed.

The peaches I tasted ,that were some 40 years old ,were in such a glass top jar and sealed with wax,also wrapped in brown paper( I guess to keep out more light) they were brown and once the wax was busted out,smelled like honey ,as I recall, and I ate some ...I am told they worried though I didn't get sick.

This is not a good test,I know ,but the wax may be a good way to keep as much oxygen as possible out of the product...Any thought CEDAR ?
I know her lard was stored this way.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
Paraffin is a known carcinogenic, so I don't use it. But the USDA also recently said it still allows cooties into foods which is why paraffin is no longer recommended for jams and jellies like it had been. And jams and jellies are hard to make toxic under most conditions.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
  I am not much as a cook,but thought I would share a bit of what I experienced this weekend.

I spent 3 days and two nights at the BOL with members who had yet to try BOL living and made a learning event out of it as they had a large stock of freeze dried LTS foods in buckets from AUGASON  FARMS and #10 cans from Mountain House and AUGASON and they thought it was a good time to learn to prepare their almost 12 year stored foods that are kept rotated ,mostly by myself. First,I see no real difference in who packaged the foods as for the basic food ...yet a big difference exists in the spices and flavors with neither company actually rising to the top as to overall flavor.

I did,after they had marginal taste tests of pork chops,ground beef,chicken cubes,and chicken with rice show them what I had learned as I have been tasteing such foods for many years. First is storage conditions ,a cool dark place is important and the BOL is dark,also a near constant 72 degrees and this is good for best storage time AND FLAVOR. I also took some butter powder and mixed it thick as next I put it on the griddle and tossed each of the above items that were bland on the griddle for a little scorch time...even the rice tasted so much better with a bit of butter/fat added and some scorch from the griddle...They could not believe how much more 'alive' the foods were when prepared more like real food would be cooked. The spice rack was also used as I added some onion powder and pepper plus a splash of Louisiana hot sauce to the meats and other dishes during their brief times on the flat iron griddle/cooktop. Food was now palatable (plus I get to use up the opened buckets and cans for my own use this week) and that hurdle was cleared...they had not even tasted what they had stored for so long and depended on.

The other obstacle was most people are not comfortable with the kind of QUIET available in this BOL as it is so quiet that often one can hear others breathing and you would swear you could hear your heartbeat...I like it this way. The kids ,age 7 to 19,were uncomfortable with the silence. I turned on the dehumidifier and air circulator and while I was happy with the WRRRRRR of what is about the same as my home AC unit...it was still too quiet and I pointed them to the PC with projection monitor and stack of games,movies,and TV shows to occupy their young minds for a few hours.

Later,when time for bed,I turned on a simple audio track that looped a babbling brook ,complete with frogs,crickets and waterfall sounds along with a crackling campfire sound track...finally,they were able to sleep...though my PC alerted me to the earthquake/nuke test in N Korea and that pretty much kept the adults occupied for some time...In the morning I re constituted a #10 can of Breakfast Skillet from Mountain House and tossed the contents on the hot griddle and soon all were up with the pork sausage,hash browns,scrambled eggs ,green peppers and onions that I had going and Mom #2 volunteered to make biscuits and Ham that made a great addition though her capability with the LTS foods needed more confidence,she had gained confidence that preparation made all the difference in LTS palatability. Later she made an old fashioned apple pie with biscuit dough mix and apple pie filling. It was a good weekend.I hope others test their LTS foods and prep it with more than water to fully enjoy the flavors.

Shortening powder has a 10 year storage life and is pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Shortening-Powder-Can/dp/B00LBGNJNM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504522681&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Food+%2310+can+shortening+butter

And the BUTTER POWDER also has a 10 year life and it tastes good

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Butter-Powder-Can/dp/B0096I6XSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1504522818&sr=1-1&keywords=Food+%2310+can++butter

I also used some coconut oil that was three years old and it was not so good,smelled wrong

Online chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:20 AM »
  I am not much as a cook,but thought I would share a bit of what I experienced this weekend.

I spent 3 days and two nights at the BOL with members who had yet to try BOL living and made a learning event out of it as they had a large stock of freeze dried LTS foods in buckets from AUGASON  FARMS and #10 cans from Mountain House and AUGASON and they thought it was a good time to learn to prepare their almost 12 year stored foods that are kept rotated ,mostly by myself. First,I see no real difference in who packaged the foods as for the basic food ...yet a big difference exists in the spices and flavors with neither company actually rising to the top as to overall flavor.

I did,after they had marginal taste tests of pork chops,ground beef,chicken cubes,and chicken with rice show them what I had learned as I have been tasteing such foods for many years. First is storage conditions ,a cool dark place is important and the BOL is dark,also a near constant 72 degrees and this is good for best storage time AND FLAVOR. I also took some butter powder and mixed it thick as next I put it on the griddle and tossed each of the above items that were bland on the griddle for a little scorch time...even the rice tasted so much better with a bit of butter/fat added and some scorch from the griddle...They could not believe how much more 'alive' the foods were when prepared more like real food would be cooked. The spice rack was also used as I added some onion powder and pepper plus a splash of Louisiana hot sauce to the meats and other dishes during their brief times on the flat iron griddle/cooktop. Food was now palatable (plus I get to use up the opened buckets and cans for my own use this week) and that hurdle was cleared...they had not even tasted what they had stored for so long and depended on.

The other obstacle was most people are not comfortable with the kind of QUIET available in this BOL as it is so quiet that often one can hear others breathing and you would swear you could hear your heartbeat...I like it this way. The kids ,age 7 to 19,were uncomfortable with the silence. I turned on the dehumidifier and air circulator and while I was happy with the WRRRRRR of what is about the same as my home AC unit...it was still too quiet and I pointed them to the PC with projection monitor and stack of games,movies,and TV shows to occupy their young minds for a few hours.

Later,when time for bed,I turned on a simple audio track that looped a babbling brook ,complete with frogs,crickets and waterfall sounds along with a crackling campfire sound track...finally,they were able to sleep...though my PC alerted me to the earthquake/nuke test in N Korea and that pretty much kept the adults occupied for some time...In the morning I re constituted a #10 can of Breakfast Skillet from Mountain House and tossed the contents on the hot griddle and soon all were up with the pork sausage,hash browns,scrambled eggs ,green peppers and onions that I had going and Mom #2 volunteered to make biscuits and Ham that made a great addition though her capability with the LTS foods needed more confidence,she had gained confidence that preparation made all the difference in LTS palatability. Later she made an old fashioned apple pie with biscuit dough mix and apple pie filling. It was a good weekend.I hope others test their LTS foods and prep it with more than water to fully enjoy the flavors.

Shortening powder has a 10 year storage life and is pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Shortening-Powder-Can/dp/B00LBGNJNM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504522681&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Food+%2310+can+shortening+butter

And the BUTTER POWDER also has a 10 year life and it tastes good

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Butter-Powder-Can/dp/B0096I6XSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1504522818&sr=1-1&keywords=Food+%2310+can++butter

I also used some coconut oil that was three years old and it was not so good,smelled wrong

Thanks Carl

I usually keep 5, 1 pound bricks of butter in the fridge (not LTS) and a few cans of shorting (not LTS and smells "off" after a few year's)

I'll add these augason fats to my LTS. I'm thinking if you have better,spices and hot sauce cardboard can be palatable...let alone rice and beans.

I have not bought any freeze dried meats but I'm rethinking that.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 07:25:17 AM »
  I hope someone finds the fats and scorch for foods to be a success. I have cooked for myself and sometimes even my dog avoids my cooking. But everyone appeared to like my LTS 'cooking' method as they all ate the same food that they did not like the fist time around. Dog and I just had more of the left-over meats today as we don't get meat so often. I like storage rotation as I get stuff I would not buy ,or try,this way.The 'fried' rice was really good after the pass over the hot griddle ,it adds a lot to the taste...maybe I can find some Louisiana Hot sauce in powder form?

Online chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 07:36:58 AM »
  I hope someone finds the fats and scorch for foods to be a success. I have cooked for myself and sometimes even my dog avoids my cooking. But everyone appeared to like my LTS 'cooking' method as they all ate the same food that they did not like the fist time around. Dog and I just had more of the left-over meats today as we don't get meat so often. I like storage rotation as I get stuff I would not buy ,or try,this way.The 'fried' rice was really good after the pass over the hot griddle ,it adds a lot to the taste...maybe I can find some Louisiana Hot sauce in powder form?

You asked...

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2013/11/dehydrating-louisiana-hot-sauce.html

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
That whole line of Augason products is really interesting.  I'm going to have to check into those.  I never even knew there was such a thing as butter powder, and the other stuff they make looks like a good idea too.

Online chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:03:15 AM by chad »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
Is this the hot sauce you like? I may need to the it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/louisiana-6-oz-original-hot-sauce/99902147.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20HP&utm_term=1100404859809&utm_content=Consumables

YES. It is not too hot like Tabasco and has much better flavor..I use it instead of black pepper/salt and really do like how it enhances the flavor of most foods.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Most "hot sauces" (I am a fan) are basically vinegar. They don't technically need refrigeration. I suspect a bottle of Crystal or Frank's will outlive me on the shelf unopened.

For stable "long term" oils you basically want the hardest oils you can find. There is a reason prior to industrialization people tended toward butter, lard, and tallow. Preserved meat also provides a great fat source.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Online chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
YES. It is not too hot like Tabasco and has much better flavor..I use it instead of black pepper/salt and really do like how it enhances the flavor of most foods.

Got a few bottles on the way.