Author Topic: Hands on the Yaesu FT 857D  (Read 363 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Hands on the Yaesu FT 857D
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
  This is one of the best options for portable Ham use as it covers 160 meters to 70 CM ( 160 meters through 6 Meters and TWO Metres along with 440 MHZ UHF ALL MODES for good measure. I like this radio in the Tac-comm TRC1 carry 'box' as it is protected and accessible with proper cooling (air flow) and even a great stand to allow better vision and access to controls. The 857D can operate up to 100 watts on HF and 6 meters,50 watts on two meters,and 20 watts on UHF...plus a great general coverage receiver for AM/FM/Short Wave reception. It can receive with about 1 amp current draw and transmit with as much as 23 Amps or as little as 5 amps at lower power for battery use. I can operate at 25 watts transmit and get about 2 hours from a 7 amp hour lead acid battery and well over 5 hours with a small 12 Amp Hour sealed lead acid battery.

This radio has one HF to six meter antenna connector and one VHF/UHF connector ,I use the Digital connector (sane connector as the FT450D) for digital work with a simple interface cable as it has Digital VOX for easy operation without fancy interfaces. I worked this radio for months now and worked it hard and I now must say I am impressed with it's capability and the great DSP that can adjust TRANSMIT AUDIO also,not just for listening to. This radio can be had at a lower cost now as it has been around several years and being over 10 years design is what I look for in a radio as WE HAMS are the Beta testers and they have had time to work all the bugs out by now.$849 at Giga Parts.

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-857d.html?gclid=CNTJgpvf4NMCFUm1wAodg-4J8A

Tac-Comm tactical carrier:

http://www.tac-comm.com/

In at FAT MAXX tool bag

Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.