Author Topic: Why NOW is the time to buy AR's and 5.56x45 ammo:  (Read 7501 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Why NOW is the time to buy AR's and 5.56x45 ammo:
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
FYI.  Delton has deal at Rural King for the Delton Echo 316H Lite optics ready - $389.00.  This is the version without the forward assist and dust cover.

https://www.rkguns.com/del-ton-echo-316h-5-56mm-nato-semi-automatic-ar-15-rifle-orfth16-lt.html

[img]https://cdn-us-cf2.yottaa.net/58b82148312e584a97000001/www.rkguns.com/v~13.1e/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/97x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image004_002_.jpg?yocs=1_&yoloc=us[/imgg

Price drop.  Now $369.99:

https://www.rkguns.com/del-ton-echo-316h-5-56mm-nato-semi-automatic-ar-15-rifle-orfth16-lt.html

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
I don't "invest" in guns. They're bulky and the safe is pretty full anyway. But I've never lost money on a gun.

I do know one guy who buys surplus by the case. Stuffs them in the basement cosmolene and all. I *think* he's got about 20 cases (6 rifles per case I think) of Mosin Nagants he bought when they were ~$70 per rifle. Oddly, he doesn't really shoot and isn't into guns. He works at a hedge fund and saw the surplus pattern of a flooded market that eventually dries up. And yes, he's praying in Hebrew the government ditches the AR and somehow floods the market. But he's a nutso mathematician (says I  :o) who really gets deep into opportunities. Surplus rifles always go up in price.

Military rifles are a strange phenomenon. There have literally been hundreds of them in the modern era. And I still prefer a pump shotgun for home defense. I mean, who really has a Lee-Enfield behind the headboard? Or a BAR? Will the AR/AK suffer the same fate? Other than the few that get repurposed for hunting/sporting (thinking of Mausers specifically) they are pretty much regarded as passe tech. ANd unless they're beloved like the Garand and will become the prize of a collection, they just become range toys. What gets me is the price rise. What kind of fool buys a $200 Mosin?
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
Passe? Right, you people are nuts. Now get off my lawn.  :)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
Passe? Right, you people are nuts. Now get off my lawn.  :)

God, one of my favorite movies. A virtual clone of my grandfather. Except grandpa was in the Pacific for WWII, not Korea. Other than that, dead nuts. Even named Walt.

On the serious side, my dad (who used an M16A2 in Vietnam) looks at my M4gery as a foreign object. The A2 is already a relic.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
  Few recognize my BAR's as fine weapons when the see my 'relics' in the rack (I have 3) and the Garrands purchased for $89 each many years ago and reach for the Thompsons as the recognise them....
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
God, one of my favorite movies.

Me too!  My husband will stop and watch it every time it comes up on cable TV.  He's Asian and he laughs the hardest at the all the Asian slurs.  It also has a place in my heart because I learned how to drive in a Torino.  Believe it or not it was Mom's car.  It was red and it looked kinda like this one:
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
Me too!  My husband will stop and watch it every time it comes up on cable TV.  He's Asian and he laughs the hardest at the all the Asian slurs.  It also has a place in my heart because I learned how to drive in a Torino.  Believe it or not it was Mom's car.  It was red and it looked kinda like this one:

Ooh. We saw it in the theater and on the way out my wife told me she never knew there were so many Asian slurs. Well, grandpa fought in the Pacific and dad served in Vietnam so I told her all the ones they missed! I really like that racism over the top becomes humor. In a sense we're laughing at that personality that would hold such ideas. It'd be interesting to know if my great-grandfather who fought in WWI would call me a dirty Hun for speaking German. It's a funny characiture. I wish we all could laugh a little more.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
Great movie!  My dad had a green Grand Torino Wagon - I hated that thing, because the front seat headrests were integrated to the seats themselves and sitting in the back, you couldn't see out the front at all.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
God, one of my favorite movies. A virtual clone of my grandfather. Except grandpa was in the Pacific for WWII, not Korea. Other than that, dead nuts. Even named Walt.

On the serious side, my dad (who used an M16A2 in Vietnam) looks at my M4gery as a foreign object. The A2 is already a relic.

I believe you mean the M16A1, which was adopted around 1967 (largely eliminating the teething problems of the early M16 variants).  The M16A2 with a heavier barrel, longer buttstock and different sites was adopted in 1982.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
I believe you mean the M16A1, which was adopted around 1967 (largely eliminating the teething problems of the early M16 variants).  The M16A2 with a heavier barrel, longer buttstock and different sites was adopted in 1982.

Yeppers. Forgive me, I'm getting old.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
While I have many more pressing things to spend my money on, a replica "A2" seems cool.  That was the "good guy" movie gun from my childhood in the 1980s.
It also seems the preferred rifle pattern for high powered service rifle matches (Iron sights).

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »
Love the Garand!  It was THE rifle for matches when I was growing up (besides the surplus bolt .22LR).  I love shooting them, although the AR15 is something most of can actually work on, repair, build and adapt to most any situation, and is fun for new shooters to learn with.

As far as slurs, I sort of get it but not from personal experience.  My Dad fought in the Pacific in WWII and had nothing but respect for the Japanese soldier and people (he finished off stationed in Okinawa protecting supplies while preparing for Tokyo--haha MARINES protecting supplies!!! but fought on Kwajalein, Guam, and Okinawa).  From what he said I am sure the Okinawans were far less impressed with US Marines that the Marines were with them.  My brother fought in Vietnam on the DMZ (Mudders Ridge) against mostly NVA some VC.  He also had respect for the Vietnamese people and no hard feelings toward them at all.  My folks adopted a Korean child and later sponsored two Cambodian refugee families.  I was brought up that the enemy was the enemy but not dehumanized or someone to hate, it was usually their leaders.

I have a small collection of Garands, M1 Carbines and AR15s, but would love to slobber over Carl's BARs!!!
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?