Author Topic: What is this? Herb or Weed?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
What is this? Herb or Weed?
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:45:56 AM »
We planted herbs in this spot years ago but I'm just not sure what I have here. Grows like crazy and makes a good mulch if nothing else.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GjY5kCvpOcQ3BxcDFqeEVqcU0
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What is this? Herb or Weed?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
Is it prickly?  Is it in a wet area?

Offline Betsy4ever

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »
A goofy weed

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:02:24 PM »
What part of the world are you located?

It looks like a weed to me.  I think I've seen them sprouting up in my area, but I have no idea what it is called.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:23:05 AM »
I'm in southern Ohio.
It's not prickly at all.
It's not in a particularly wet spot but I'm sure It's had plenty of water so far. It's in partial shade. Another factor might be that this is in a bed of river gravel we put down around the house.

It has no strong odor and seems harmless so I ate a couple leaves and I'm still not sure what it is but It tasted like something that would be great to add to a salad. I'm not going to do that yet but sure makes me curious what it is.

I searched all kinds of herbs and can't find a leaf match. We had a bunch of herbs in pots and a whiskey barrel here at one time. I thought it might be a basil but can't find anything with leaves like this. I let it grow that high because I wanted to see what it did.

I have no idea what this is but it spreads out thick and might make a good ground cover in certain spots. It grows to about 18" high, spreads on it's own and is very easy to pull out. Most of the roots come right out with it but I'm sure not all.

I pulled a bunch out to mulch around a couple trees. It's so easy to pull out and use as mulch I may try to transplant to an area that makes more since.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 04:47:49 AM »
Call your local cooperative extension and ask them about bringing in a sample to have the plant identified.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »
I found out that it's "Sheep Sorrel". A very common edible perennial herb.
Black & Gold.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
Not sure how I missed this before, but I can barely see the photo, so that could be why I did not reply. If it looks like the top half of a boy scout logo, and tastes like vinegar, it is indeed sheep sorrel. It is an indicator that your soil is acid where it grows.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:42:30 AM »
Cedar, This is it then.
I've done some research and found out that while it is an "invasive" weed/herb, it sure seems useful to me!

Made a file to share. Hope this works. You have to zoom in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GjY5kCvpOccUNXQnl1My1CQ3M/view?usp=sharing
Black & Gold.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:36 AM »
Cedar, This is it then.
I've done some research and found out that while it is an "invasive" weed/herb, it sure seems useful to me!

Made a file to share. Hope this works. You have to zoom in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GjY5kCvpOccUNXQnl1My1CQ3M/view?usp=sharing

I will have to look at the flile when I can use my laptop, too small on my cell.

Wash a handful and put it in your salad, good with ranch dressing. But remember that anyone can be allergic to anything, so try one piece and wait 20 mins before having another piece. Just don't make a complete meal out of it the first or second try.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »
Very good advice with anything new. I've ate one or two leafs a couple 3 times. I'm putting a little in my next salad. I'll start slow but there are even recipes for food and tea on the internets.

I am seeing this stuff sell for $27/lb dried. Seems it's possibly a real cancer fighting herb. I'm thinking this accidental herb is a very good thing.

I can see why it's considered invasive though.

Black & Gold.