Author Topic: C Crane radio question  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: C Crane radio question
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »
Just tried it.

It made a slight improvement. I'll try the ferrite beads on a few changers.

As a general rule dose AM reception improve at night?

AM signals, at the low frequency end of the spectrum, tend to HUG the earth and be guided by the ionospheric layers that combine at night and these same layers help 160 and 80 meters at night too. BUT the AM stations are 'guided' by government,to cut back transmitted power at sunset and power back up at 'official sun-up' to avoid RF from multiple transmitters at or near each others frequency from swamping radios all over the country and this is why the sophisticated receivers have more selectiveity to separate stations and often an ATTENUATION switch to cut back on radio circuit gain to help sort out the stations...especially at night when propagation (nature) is so favorable. I think you may have something that generates a signal in your home that interferes with your radio or some carrier current device that uses the power line for connectivity.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »
AM signals, at the low frequency end of the spectrum, tend to HUG the earth and be guided by the ionospheric layers that combine at night and these same layers help 160 and 80 meters at night too. BUT the AM stations are 'guided' by government,to cut back transmitted power at sunset and power back up at 'official sun-up' to avoid RF from multiple transmitters at or near each others frequency from swamping radios all over the country and this is why the sophisticated receivers have more selectiveity to separate stations and often an ATTENUATION switch to cut back on radio circuit gain to help sort out the stations...especially at night when propagation (nature) is so favorable. I think you may have something that generates a signal in your home that interferes with your radio or some carrier current device that uses the power line for connectivity.

Good to know.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
BUT the AM stations are 'guided' by government,to cut back transmitted power at sunset and power back up at 'official sun-up' to avoid RF from multiple transmitters at or near each others frequency from swamping radios all over the country

Also, as an FYI, if you want to know the power protocol a station is using, you can use this online form:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/am-query

It looks complicated, but all you really need to do is fill in the city and state fields and click the 'results to this page' button on the bottom of the form to see all stations operating from that location.  It will show you the daytime and nighttime power level.  For example in Portland KPOJ lowers its power from 25 kW in day to 10 KW at night.  While KKPZ maintains 5 kW consistently.  So, KPOJ will more than likely fade at night while KKPZ will more than likely get stronger.

KPOJ       AM 620  kHz DA2  Daytime         B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL-20041029AJU     25.0   kW   53069                                                     
KPOJ       AM 620  kHz DA2  Nighttime       B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL-20041029AJU    10.0   kW   53069
KKPZ       AM 1330 kHz DA1  Unlimited       B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL--                        5.0   kW   4113

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
Also, as an FYI, if you want to know the power protocol a station is using, you can use this online form:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/am-query

It looks complicated, but all you really need to do is fill in the city and state fields and click the 'results to this page' button on the bottom of the form to see all stations operating from that location.  It will show you the daytime and nighttime power level.  For example in Portland KPOJ lowers its power from 25 kW in day to 10 KW at night.  While KKPZ maintains 5 kW consistently.  So, KPOJ will more than likely fade at night while KKPZ will more than likely get stronger.

KPOJ       AM 620  kHz DA2  Daytime         B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL-20041029AJU     25.0   kW   53069                                                     
KPOJ       AM 620  kHz DA2  Nighttime       B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL-20041029AJU    10.0   kW   53069
KKPZ       AM 1330 kHz DA1  Unlimited       B B LIC  PORTLAND                 OR US      BL--                        5.0   kW   4113

Cool

For what it's worth the station is 5 KW day and night and is 26 miles away.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
Cool

For what it's worth the station is 5 KW day and night and is 26 miles away.

I have a few like that,but they adjust direction ,by antenna selection,at night as 1130 KWKH beams to South America at night so as to avoid some stations to the North of Louisiana.

My problem is a test station on 101.7 FM that is carrying an AM station also with identical programing ,day and night,and I like the FM better though it's 334 watts (I know the engineer) is swamped by stations 80 miles away and I have to lessen the sensitivity by collapsing the pull up whip some and laying it sideway ,rather than vertical...to receive the much weaker signal from between the more powerful stations and ,so far,this works well as I monitor for problems till whammo 5 ,000 plus watts and the people to the North get to suffer selectivity issues.

Special note of little importance: Aircraft use AM so as to not interfere with communications ,because FM has capture effect and normally you can only hear one at a time while AM can 'share' a frequency as long as the listener can hear two people talking and listen to one. I hope I explained that properly .

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
I have a few like that,but they adjust direction ,by antenna selection,at night as 1130 KWKH beams to South America at night so as to avoid some stations to the North of Louisiana.

My problem is a test station on 101.7 FM that is carrying an AM station also with identical programing ,day and night,and I like the FM better though it's 334 watts (I know the engineer) is swamped by stations 80 miles away and I have to lessen the sensitivity by collapsing the pull up whip some and laying it sideway ,rather than vertical...to receive the much weaker signal from between the more powerful stations and ,so far,this works well as I monitor for problems till whammo 5 ,000 plus watts and the people to the North get to suffer selectivity issues.

Special note of little importance: Aircraft use AM so as to not interfere with communications ,because FM has capture effect and normally you can only hear one at a time while AM can 'share' a frequency as long as the listener can hear two people talking and listen to one. I hope I explained that properly .

Interesting Carl..

I'm going to test the radios HAM listening capabilities at 9 tonight, one of the local clubs Han a net on a repeater that's about a mile away....maybe if your listening you might hear it? I'll PM you.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 07:41:25 PM »
The radio impressed me with it's HAM "listening" capabilities on my local net tonight.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Interesting Carl..

I'm going to test the radios HAM listening capabilities at 9 tonight, one of the local clubs Han a net on a repeater that's about a mile away....maybe if your listening you might hear it? I'll PM you.

Your bio says you are in Michigan and few repeaters are heard over 100 miles with 1500 feet above average terrain. ARRL world record over land communications distance on VHF. VHF is normally line of site or about 25 to 100 miles from elevated repeater sites and 3 to 10 miles or so for hand held and mobile radios ,unless in a high location.

Good you are happy with the radio now . They can have a lot of utility with a skilled operator.