Author Topic: What is the best value in FoodSaver vacuum sealers?  (Read 58841 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
Re: What is the best value in FoodSaver vacuum sealers?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
Nice find! Usually those bags can be pricey.

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
Cabelas had their vacuum sealer on sale for memorial day! From may 17-28! $100 off! If you guys were looking at getting one NOW would be the time!

Offline bsteimel

• Prepper
  • Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!
    • Technology Consulting
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
ok... I broke down this week, bought a replacement for my broken vac sealer.

bought this one at *mart for $50: http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B004JPU6XI/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1305601315&sr=1-1

brought it home, tried it immediately.  oh, it would suck out all the air, and then rumble on forever never sealing.  I managed to get the entire kitchen floor swept while waiting for it to decide to seal.  and it was very hard to activate the thing.  I had to grip it with 2 hands at the exact spot and push with a lot of force before it would start sucking air.  Now, I was using my FS bags, but then, that is what I have.  I have at least $100 in FS bags that I am not just going to throw out.  so, it might be a "don't mix your brands" type of thing, but it was annoying.  and frustrating.  and it didn't even have an accessory hose or the port for one.

I bought a rival a few years ago from woot.com for a really cheap price. $20 i believe.  So far I have been very happy, especially for $20!.  I see them on woot ever so often and plan on picking up another one to have as a backup.  I have 2 friends that have the foodsaver that everybody uses and I don't really see a big difference.  The only time that I have the trouble like this, is when it's a really juicy thing I'm sealing and water is being sucked up.  Then it won't seal.  The foodsavers have the same problem with that.  I would recommend the rival this user posted.  His must have had a defect. 

I also found a great website for getting bags in bulk. 
http://store.keepfreshbags.com/vasebagro.html
You can buy large rolls that work in foodsavor or my rival sealers.  They had the best price I could find when buying in bulk. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:29:50 AM by bsteimel »

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
Does anyone have any new info on vacuum sealers? We are looking to get one and wanted to see if there is any updates.

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
I would still reccomend Cabelas for a sealer. Food saver just keeps going down in quality.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
I have a V2040 (I think) and it's been fine.  But the last roll of bags I bought were different.  My sealer won't seal these bags.  I'm extremely disappointed since they are expensive bags.

I'll check out those other bags.  Thanks for posting about them.

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
I bought a gamesaver foodsaver sealer from basspro around christmas came with free box of extra rolls and pre cut bags. I have only one issue in that my sealer doesn't have a built in roll cutter.  Scissors don't make a clean cut.  anyone have any ideas?

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
I bought a gamesaver foodsaver sealer from basspro around christmas came with free box of extra rolls and pre cut bags. I have only one issue in that my sealer doesn't have a built in roll cutter.  Scissors don't make a clean cut.  anyone have any ideas?

I use a paper cutter I purchased from an office supply.
You can cut about six bags at a time.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
Our Foodsaver lost it's vacuum, the motor would run but no suction. I pulled it apart and found that it had sucked in some food debris that had hardened in the plastic tubes inside the body of the machine. After dislodging them the Foodsaver once again sucks. Vacuums properly that is. Lesson learned: fix it, don't toss it. And if you find one at a garage sale for a buck, buy it and clean it out.