Author Topic: easiest 2 meter antenna ever  (Read 718 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
easiest 2 meter antenna ever
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »
Cutting to the chase, it's just an old pair of TV rabbit ears, 300ohm leads removed, 50ohm coax soldered on, adjusted to the proper length (20"), and checked with an antenna analyzer.  Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/XdZeY-KihH8

This guy does some pretty interesting stuff.  Some of it's trivial (like this video), but some of it he really digs in, especially on the software side.  Main thing is that he's putting it out there.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Re: easiest 2 meter antenna ever
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
Nice find. I remember when I first got my HF rig with 2m (icom 703) and didn't have an antenna, my dad said to just stick a wire in the so-239.  Worked for receiving. Years later, come to find out almost anything can be an antenna.

Jerseyboy

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
I have a question.....does the second element needs to be horizontal or at 45degrees downwards? cos in another YT video the guy does the second...(to get a 50Ohm impedance)

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
Many TV antennas can not open to full 180 degrees and as it is just a makeshift dipole or a one radial ground plane ,
you only real important thing to watch is SWR match to the radio. I have made this kind of antenna from foil Burglar alarm tape (on an office window)
and a connector block ...trim with a sharp knife for SWR...even a directional beam can be done this way on a plastic shower curtain and pinned to ceiling.

Just be sure of SWR when finished so the radio will not suffer.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?