Author Topic: anti virus for old XP laptop ?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
anti virus for old XP laptop ?
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »

My friend bought an old $10 laptop that has windows XP. I saw that Panda and Kaperski may still work for XP but not as good I would expect. I can never find where there might be a free version. Any download links for free antivuris ?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: anti virus for old XP laptop ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
I'd honestly look for a cheap win 7 key and reload it with that. XP is a dinosaur that's no longer supported with a ton of known vulnerabilities.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Better than anti-virus is Malwarebytes anti Malware...the FREE version is good BUT the paid version is better and it does not bring a PC to a crawl.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I still also run Windows XP Pro and it works better without MS UPDATE (turn it off) continually screwing things up. Also move to GOOGLE CHROME
web browser or FIREFOX and ignore the words of doom. Win 7 is OK with 4 gig or more ram and a dual core 2 gig or faster cpu...in my opinion.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
Better than anti-virus is Malwarebytes anti Malware...the FREE version is good BUT the paid version is better and it does not bring a PC to a crawl.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I still also run Windows XP Pro and it works better without MS UPDATE (turn it off) continually screwing things up. Also move to GOOGLE CHROME
web browser or FIREFOX and ignore the words of doom. Win 7 is OK with 4 gig or more ram and a dual core 2 gig or faster cpu...in my opinion.

That's interesting. Would you  need an older version ?
http://www.oldapps.com/malwarebytes.php?system=windows_xp

I have used malewarebytes and accidentally paid for the paid one at one time.

Other than that I was thinking of maybe knoppix linux boot from a CDF

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
When I was running Windows XP, I believe that it was Avast that I ran as an antivirus.

As for that laptop, if your friend is fairly computer literate he could put Linux on it and it would likely perform much faster.  While Linux is a modern OS, there are distros that breathe new life into old hardware.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »
When I was running Windows XP, I believe that it was Avast that I ran as an antivirus.

As for that laptop, if your friend is fairly computer literate he could put Linux on it and it would likely perform much faster.  While Linux is a modern OS, there are distros that breathe new life into old hardware.

No she is not very computer literate. It's up to me to help her out. She lives 150 miles away in Maine. Sometime I may see her and have maybe 45 minutes or an hour at some internet cafe near where she lives to install whatever I need to. If it takes much longer than that for me to install it it might be a pain. Apparently this laptop of hers has a cd rom. I do not have a CD drive on my computer. I have an old computer someplace that is slow but it may have a CD drive. I think if she went to a computer place it would cost more than it's worth.

My mother's computer may have a CD drive, possibly I could create some disks with antivirus on them or linux and use those to install with

I tried to convince her to just use a tablet so I bought a kindle on amazon for $50 and had it shipped to her house. She does not seem to like it though as it is small and she doesn't know how to use it, though I tried to show her.

At one time she had a laptop that someone she knows sold to her for $50 and she liked that but it died or got bogged down with viruses and has been dead in the water for a couple of years.

I have used knoppix linux which seemed ok and boots of a cd, but you may have no permanent file storage

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:31:48 PM by surfivor »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
check out ccleaner: https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
and avg: http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download

see if they work for XP

They do work with XP .

Ccleaner is just a good way to de-clutter and often regain speed.
AVG no works ,but tends to slow XP machines down to much in my experience.

I do use AVAST free antivirus and it runs good on XP,but malwarebytes does a better job and lest PC power needed.
I also us ,as a clean-up,and one button fixer-upper...Advanced System care . It is free but during install DO NOT ACCEPT THE 90 DAY TRIAL OFFFER if you want it to remain FREE.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
A recent 32 bit version of CCleaner was hacked and contains an infection. Check around to find which version number it was. I like malwarebytes, but the free version does not have real time protection. You have to manually start a scan. Also, the free version must be manually updated. I do use the free version from time to time.
There's always Windows Defender which has real time protection if you turn it on- and it's probably on the machine already. On occasion it does find something on my machine. I have Panda paid version but I believe you can get a free version on their site. There is a free Panda Cloud Clearner but it is not real time and only runs if you start it.
I use the paid version of Panda as my primary AV, but except for CCleaner I occasionally run the others I mentioned as well. What Panda seems to miss the others find.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
i just saw this....

I do have in my archive several versions of malware antibytes from the win7 days, and may other apps.
many from the winXP  and Me too.
practically whatever i used, i never threw away
If it is still relevant to anyone tell me what you need.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
  AVAST Antivirus FREE works fine on my XP PRO PC that ,while a relic of an operating system,is still capable of running my business as a remote IT person for several small businesses where I remotely SCAN and BACKUP files for many happy customers.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »
My shop puter is still running XP Pro, which I'm on now.
I ran MSE for a long time on it until they quit supporting XP, which in turn MSE will not update.
I've forgotten about Defender. I'll look into that. I'm running XP naked.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
My shop puter is still running XP Pro, which I'm on now.
I ran MSE for a long time on it until they quit supporting XP, which in turn MSE will not update.
I've forgotten about Defender. I'll look into that. I'm running XP naked.

AVAST FREE ANTIVIRUS is good on my XP system as is ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE , also FREE

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
 8) Yea I need to look into it. I've been lazy about it.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016