Author Topic: Possibly useful, based on Iridium satellite network.  (Read 396 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Possibly useful, based on Iridium satellite network.
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
Found this while looking for Raspberry Pi stuff. This particular article from makezine talks about using it with Arduino and GPS as a tracker with limited message function, but I would think it could be modified for just messaging and with larger file sizes. The device isn't cheap, and you have to pay for access and data charges. The power requirements are claimed to be only 100mA @5Vdc.

http://makezine.com/projects/make-37/iridiumsatellite/

British developer Rock Seven Mobile, for instance, recently introduced an Arduino-compatible Iridium satellite transceiver called RockBlock (above). It can’t make real-time voice phone calls, but it can send “text messages” using Iridium’s short burst data (SBD) service. Outgoing messages of up to 340 bytes can be directed to an email address or a web server as an HTTP post. Incoming messages are limited to 270 bytes and can be received through the same channels.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?