Author Topic: Black November's Recommended First $10k  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Black November's Recommended First $10k
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
I have been living a prepared lifestyle for over 20 years, and have accumulated tons of stuff. If I had to do it over again this is what I would recommend. If people like this list maybe I will keep going an make a list of the second $10K. This is not meant to be an end-all list, but more of overview for new preppers. I am sure there are things I forgot.

Black November's Recommended First $10k   

(1) $1000   
Cash   $1,000

(2) $1000   
Berkey and WaterBOB   $275
Pressure Canner    $100
First Aid kit   $100
Basic Household Tool kits      $100
Bic lighters and Garbage bags     $25
A decent knife and sharpener    $100
Head Lamp   $100
Entry Level Food Storage and Canning jars   $200

(3) $1000   
Pistol   $600
Ammo   $300
Training 101   $100

(4) $1000   
Inverter and extention cords   $150
Gas  in Cans   $100
Toilet paper, toothpaste, soap   $150
More Food more and canning jars   $250
Roll of paracord   $50
250 gallon Emergency water tank   $300

(5) $1000   
Vacum Sealer   $100
Chest freezer   $400
Food storage   $300
Clothing work gear (Good Coat, Gloves, Wool Beanie, boots)    $200

(6) $1000   
Gardening Tools   $50
Start gardening and get Seeds   $50
Increase home security (New Locks, Steel door frame)   $400

(7) $1000   
semi -Auto Rifle    $850
Ammo   $150

(8) $1000   
Generator Honda EU200i    $1,000

(9) $1000   
Food storage   $300
Firearms training   $500

(10) $1000   
More Gas and Cans   $200
More first aid Med kit   $200
Weber Kettle and Charcoal   $300
Food storage   $500

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Black November's Recommended First $10k
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
Nice list.  6, 9 & 10 don't add up to $1000. 
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
Nice list.  6, 9 & 10 don't add up to $1000.

You are right. probably should be:

(6) $1000   
Gardening Tools   $50
Start gardening and get Seeds   $50
Increase home security (New Locks, Steel door frame)   $400
Extra Berkery filters $200
Reference books $300

(9) $1000   
Food storage   $300
Firearms training   $500
More Gas and Cans   $200   

(10) $1000   
More first aid Med kit   $200
Weber Kettle and Charcoal   $300
Food storage   $500

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
I also realized that I have a lot of camping gear. I like camping, but in an emergency, I am more likely to sleep in my car than pitch a tent or hammock on the side of the road.

We tend to purchase things in the name of preparedness, but many of these things aren't really practical.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
When you say "food storage"  does that mean you simply stock up on $N worth of whatever you already are storing?

More specific to food storage I've seen some starter guides begin with "copy canning", and eventually graduate to large capacity freeze dried and other long term storables.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
When you say "food storage"  does that mean you simply stock up on $N worth of whatever you already are storing?

More specific to food storage I've seen some starter guides begin with "copy canning", and eventually graduate to large capacity freeze dried and other long term storables.

Food storage is different for everyone depending on their diet. I agree with Jack in "storing what you eat, and eating what you store". I left it vague so everyone could decide what it means for themselves.

If people are interested in my food storage strategy: 

This is an old diagram. I now have a total of 9 Guerilla racks. (1 more near freezer )
Thanks for reminding me to post the after action photos.

I added 2 more longer racks along the wall. We also made clear acrylic plastic fences to keep jars from falling, and it allows for dry-erase shelf labeling.

The pics above are before we put the food on the shelves. now there is hardly and space left.

I primarily store food in Mason jars. Even dry goods like rice, farrow, wheat berries, and amaranth are vacuum sealed in Pint jars. I have some 5 gallon buckets of Beans and rice, but I find that the pint jars are easier to rotate. We mostly water bath can, and sometimes pressure can, vegetables, stews, salsas, sauces, jams, jelly, ect. I like the the longevity of commercially canned goods but we don't use a lot of commercially canned stuff, because we try to buy seasonally fresh food. I do however like the canned pulled pork, and canned shredded chicken from Costco. We use almond milk which is very shelf stable, and dried pasta, dried mushrooms, dried herbs, teas and spices. Most salt, sugar, flour is kept in original packaging. We also mill our own flour for bread and dough. Most of our meat is bought in bulk and frozen, we used to grow a lot of our own vegetables but primarily get fresh produce from a local CSA now. We don't drink soda, or really eat potato chips, but occasionally we will have some on hand. There is a lot of bottles of vinegar, dressings, BBQ sauce, canned olives, canned anchovies. We make cheese some times from milk and rennet. We make wine. and I am sure there are other things I am forgetting.

Things we don't normally keep on hand: No Cereal, cookies, chips, soda, or other processed foods. We have some long term storage, but I am not a big fan of Mountain house, Thive, or MREs just because they just sit there and rarely get rotated in. 

Utilities are Kitchen equipment like food processors, dehydrators, mixers, Slow cookers, kitchen aids, fermenting crocks ect.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:12:25 PM by Black November »

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
great list !

What is in your first first aid kit ?  What is in the second ?

Where can we find out more about upgrading door security ? How hard is it ?

What is an example of a decent knife and sharpener ( I need a decent sharpener, I have a few mora knives and a good shealth knife, but I dont know what to sharpen that good knife with, so I havent used it yet. I dont mind grinding on the  Moras any old way)

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
What is in your first first aid kit ?  What is in the second ?

I assembled multiple first aid kits with various stuff over the years. Mostly Band aids, gauze, tape, Nitrile gloves, disinfectants, scissors/shears, compression wraps, Ibuprofen, Neosporin, burn gel, anti microbial wipes, soap and hand sanitizer,  ect. You can also buy pre-made kits too:

Dark Angel Medical kits
Doom & Bloom kits
Chinook Medical

In my more advanced kits I have tools like thermometers, forceps, clamps, scalpels, tweezers, stethoscope, bone hand drill, bone mallet.  Also dental picks, mirrors, tooth extractors, ect.

Where can we find out more about upgrading door security ? How hard is it ?

Abloy Locks
Steel Door Jam upgrades

What is an example of a decent knife and sharpener

Spyderco Double Stuff [My favorite sharpener....Simple/Portable]

There are other knife sharpening systems like Lansky and other more expensive ones, but I use the one above most of the time.

dsfsdf
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:49:39 AM by Black November »

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
Thanks !

What are a few examples of a "decent knife"

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
What are a few examples of a "decent knife"

Mora knives are good
ESEE
Benchmade
Spyderco
Fallkniven
MT Knives
Gerber
Kershaw
Tops
SOG
Ka-Bar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »

Mora knives are good
ESEE
Benchmade
Spyderco
Fallkniven
MT Knives
Gerber
Kershaw
Tops
SOG
Ka-Bar

I know a guy through boy scouts who goes to the TSA store and buys every decent US/EU made blade from those brands. He sells what he finds at cost to scouts and their families.
I have an EDC small kershaw I paid $10 for that sells new for $65.  Given the context of TSA confiscating from passengers trying to board planes, most are folder pocket knives, though I have got a couple fixed blades this way.

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »
I know a guy through boy scouts who goes to the TSA store and buys every decent US/EU made blade from those brands. He sells what he finds at cost to scouts and their families.
I have an EDC small kershaw I paid $10 for that sells new for $65.  Given the context of TSA confiscating from passengers trying to board planes, most are folder pocket knives, though I have got a couple fixed blades this way.

Special sale knives are good, that TSA store sounds like a good resource. I bought a number of folding knives a few years ago, all the same, brand is Boker, very discounted thru sierra trading post catalog, so that is in my purse or pocket, and I gave one each to the young adults as stocking stuffers. Of course, my youngest, it was in her backpack and not her purse ! Silly girl. I also bought a number of Mora knives like that, deep discounts, one each to stocking stuffers, and one in grab and go bag, one in get home bag in trunk ( those are stainless) a carbon steel one that lays around on a table or counter in the house for things that come up. I should get a couple more folding knives to sprinkle around ( drawer, glove box) as I only have the one. I have a good hunting/sheath knife, that my daughter laughs when I put it on my belt, given my age and stature, I guess. I should just carry it every day, and become "that" old lady

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »
CRKT - Columbia River Knife and Tool, is another decent value.  I've got some at deep discount from the REI garage sale before.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline osubuckeye4

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Hello.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
2 bitcoins?  8)

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »
An excellent thought experiment! a reasonable sum to work with but insufficient circumstance data. Will make the following assumptions: a Nuclear family of 4-6 in good health, they have a place to live with basic home furnishings, basic clothes and transportation. Because not having those things would by necessity change how one would utilize the $10K. They do not live in NYC, Chicago or San Francisco or similar places.

I like the way of breaking it down to 10 $1000 spending increments.

So...
1) First $1000
      a) $500 Cash -$50 in 1's, $50 in 5's, $100 in 10's, $300 in 20's.
      b) $300 Prepaid Visa, with name matching my primary ID (this is for an emergency hotel stay at a decent hotel as they all require some type of credit/debit card to rent a room.
      c) $100 Document duplication, This is to procure certified copies of birth certificates and marriage licenses, DD214 and such.
      d) $100 Communications, for a prepaid and disposable cell phone and calling card. In any situation communications is key to recovery. Having some way to make calls without help/assistance/charity is critical.

2) Second $1000
      a) $550 Water and Water Filtration, 10 Gallons of bottled water ($9), A Berkey Royal and extra filters($450). Packable water filters like the set of 4 sawyer mini filters in the different colors ($85).
      b) $40 Granite-ware steel cook set with 1, 2 and 4 qt pots ( and lids). This provides a cheap easy solution to pots that can be used over any heat source to cook and boil water. Plain steel less chance of warping, cracking or breaking and lighter than cast iron.
      c) $20 Thrift or Dollar store silverware. Enough for the family. stainless steel mixing bowl and stainless steel dog/pet bowls one for each of you. Toss in a big spoon, spatula and tongs.
      d) $15 Bic Lighters and bag of Tea Light candles. Spend the extra for the actual branded Bic Lighters (they work).
      e) $100 2-Inexpensive headlamps ($35), 2-Mini Mag Lights ($35, because candling function is cool), Spare batteries ($30).
      f) $100 Knife and sharpening system. Gerber Strongarm ($55), Lansky Pro ($45) as examples.
      g) $55.00 Food. 25# bag of rice, 1 case of Ramen noodles or 5# spaghetti, Coffee/tea/drink mixes, Kosher/canning salt, pepper, the "4" spices, Canned Tuna, Canned fruit, all purpose flour or bisquick.
      h) $50 Basic First-Aid kit with small enhancements. Start with something like the Be Smart 50 Person kit ($22, this becomes the ouches and boo-boos kit). add 1 gal Distilled white Vinegar, 2 large bottles of hydrogen Peroxide, 2 Large bottles of 70% Isopropyl alcohol, 4x4 gauze, Generic Mucinex, Ambisol (topical pain relief/ toothache) and whatever else you can get with the balance of the $50.
       i) $70 Tools. 1-set of 8" slip joint pliers ($8), Milwaukee Ratcheting Driver ($20) or Klien 10n1 ($18), 10" Adjustable wrench ($12), 10" Groove joint pliers ($12), Claw head Hammer ($12), Pry Bar ($10)

3) Third $1000
      a) $30 Fire extinguisher
      b) $350 Pistol - Ruger LC9 or P95.
      c) $50 2-Spare Magazines
      d) $200 1000 rnds 9mm
      e) $200 Training/Licensing
      f)  $70 Holster and cleaning kit
      g) $100 Powerful Flash Light suitable for Target illumination/identification and incapacitation.

4) Fourth $1000
      a) $450 Basic "Camp" setup. Camp Cooker with fuel. Tent/Tarps and ground cloths. Inexpensive 3 season Sleeping bags. 40qt Cooler.
      b) $120 Extension Cords 1-50 12ga, 1- 100ft 14ga, 2 -25ft 16ga.
      c) $150 2- 5 gal metal gas cans plus fuel and spout.
      d) $180 p99 Air Masks
      e) $100 Toilet Paper, Toothpaste, Soap and assorted sundries

5)  its getting late I'll finish 5 through 10 tomorrow :)

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
5) Fifth $1000 - The first $4000 leaves you in a good place to survive and recover from most ordinary and expected events with enough depth to handle a few or the more "out there" scenarios. step 5,6 and 7 will really ramp our game up with 8, 9 and 10 taking us up to 90% level. Meaning you'd be sufficiently equipped to deal with 90% of the events that we can prepare for...
    a) $300 -Sanitation, $40 -two boxes 55Gal 3 mil contractor bags, $30 -two 40# bags cat litter, $20 -30 gal metal trash can, $30 1 case 20-30 gal institutional trash can liners 0.9-1 mil, $40 folding beside medical commode (why bother with a five gallon bucket and toilet seat lid when for literally $10 more you can get an engineered and tested solution that works, Double this amount if users are over 300# or have 50" plus hips, you can get commode liners but i've found that 1 mil trash bags with an absorbent bed pad or a layer of kitty litter work just as well at have the cost), $40 -Lysol Disinfectant spray 4-5 cans, $20 -Box of Baby wipes, $20 -Odor Ban Cleaner, $30 -extra Misc cleaning supplies of you your choice.
     b) $500 -Backup electrical system, with lights, batteries, inverter and accessories. Steven Harris is a good resource for this and offers excellent step by step DVDs and a MSB discount/bonus.
     c) $200 -Tools for construction and Maintenance. If you don't have any nows the time to start. $40 -3/8" corded Drill/Driver (get a good commercial grade one, not an el cheapo, at this price point Hitachi has a good one as does Panasonic, this is survival gear not DIY weekend, Don't go cheap yourself to death, A really good corded option can be had for $10 more than the cheap ones and third the price of a good cordless), $120 -Circular Saw, corded, a good one (this means high end Skillsaw or Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, you get the picture, this is a go to tool if you don't spend the cash you wont get the quality, flexibility, reliability and endurance you need for our purpose), $40 -Starter bit set (twist and spade) and spare circular saw blade (won't be the best quality but will be able to get a good quality combo blade) and eye/ear protection (basic)

6) Sixth $1000
    a) $200 -Protective gear, Good quality Eye/Ear protection for everyone, Nitrill gloves, Leather or Cotton/Leather work gloves, Heavy duty rubber/vinyl gloves, Respirator and cartridges. a box of vinyl food handler's gloves
    b) $200 -Basic construction supplies, Screws, Nails, Tapes and Glues. You can often salvage or improvise materials, improvised fasteners suck...
    c) $200 -good construction grade Cordless drill/driver and impact driver. These will become your go to tools for so very much by the best you can afford of the major reputable commercial brands. I recommend you look at the other cordless tools in that brand's lineup as you want to marry the brand you start with when you start dropping money on really good quality cordless tools as its the batteries that cost you in the long run. Being a trade professional I've acquired 5 different brands of cordless tools...7 different battery types and 5 different charger types. its becoming such a headache I'm considering biting the bullet and selling everything to start over with one central brand. Problem is some of those tools I really love using even if they are not compatible with each other.
    d) $400 -Good, reliable middle of the road laptop. I live in the 21st century and in the 21st century a computer is a survival and recovery tool. It probably should have went higher up on the list maybe before sanitation or even the "4th" level as it can be used to maximize my money potential for all the other purchases.

7) Seventh $1000
    a) $500 Rifle -Ruger AR556 new
    b) $120 Magazines -8 Magpul Pmag or equiv.
    c) $100 .223 Ammo -Wolf 55gr WPA Performance 500 rnds (not the best not the worst, always works and 500 of them..)
    d) $220 Shotgun -At this price point I would only consider 2 brands/Models, the Maverick 88 or H&R Pardner. The Maverick 88 assembled in Eagles Pass TX of parts made in Mexico, Cheap Copy of the Mossburg 500, The HR Pardner Made in China, Cheap heavy copy of the Remington 870. I've owned 4 Maverick 88, 2 of those were with the cheap bullpup stocks, number of failures..Zero, I own 1 H&R Pardner, Number of Failures..Zero. I live in Texas. My choice... Maverick 88 (was there any doubt :)
    e) $60 Shotgun ammo 12 ga. $26 -50 rnds 00 buck, $14 -50 rnds 7 1/2 shot, $20 -20 rnds Rifled slugs. I buy from Bulkammo.com, I started buying from them years ago when the started supporting TSP. There are from time to time places with better pricing, I've found no one with better service and I still buy all my bulk ammo from them. Now if the start carrying some of the weirder calibers I shoot (like .458 Lott) they would get all my ammo business :)

8) Eighth $1000
    a) $300 Optics for Rifle.
    b) $150 Universal Gun cleaning kit, CLP, Oil, Patches and so on.
    c) $350 300pc Mechanics tool set, wait for the sales...
    d) $200 Carpentry tools, $20 Good Hammer (Estwing All steel 16oz), $20 Ballpein Hammer (Estwing All steel 16oz), $10 Swanson Speed Square, $20 -35 ft Tape measure (get a good one from a trusted brand, I use to only use Lufkin, My choice now is the Stanley 33-735, for the price it cant be beat, If you go shorter you can also get a narrower blade like 1" on a 25 ft), $130 -Chisels, Rasps, Files, Sanding blocks

9) Ninth $1000
    a) $300 Carpentry and Demolition tools
    b) $300 Food & Water Storage
    c) $200 Basic Metalworking tools
    d) $150 Gardening and Landscaping tools, include 2 shovels, Mattock, Post hole digger
    e) $50 Seed Stock

10) Tenth $1000
      a) $300 Food storage
      b) $300 Medical Kit
      c) $100 Pressure cooker/canner
      d) $200 Home canning kit/supplies
      e) $100 FRS/GMRS Radios set 3

Sorry for the lack of detail on the 8th, 9th and 10th Items its getting late and I've had a full day. may expand later.

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline Shawlition

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
I'll refer to this list for things I'll need in the future. :)

$300 for reference books? Are they really that expensive?

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
I'll refer to this list for things I'll need in the future. :)

$300 for reference books? Are they really that expensive?

Depends on the books and the amount of reference material you want to store... About $50 in books will get you all the data you need to get started. add another $50 in DVDs and you'll have enough background to start gaining experience by doing stuff. That $300 gives you much deeper store of knowledge to draw upon. If you invest in an electronic reader you can access 100s of documents for free and really step up your game. That's one of the reasons I put a laptop on my list.

Regards,
Shadowalker