Author Topic: Solar eclipse 8/21/17: something wonderful (and a possible disaster zone)  (Read 7409 times)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
We'll be there.  Path of totality not far from the house, but wife & I have a hotel reserved in the path of totality so we don't have to travel that day.  There'll be lots of preps on board the F-150, for sure.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Bizarre headline of the day...

Spokane Spokesman-Review, 8/4/17: Idaho nuclear facility bans hunting on day of solar eclipse

No, really.

...The Idaho Department of Fish and Game says elk and pronghorn hunters for more than a decade have been able to access areas along the northern boundary of the site under specific guidelines. ...

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Family has land with bathrooms and even a plumbed building in the zone of totality, so we are on! We are gonna head down Friday night and basically make a weekender of it. Movies, board games, cards, lawn games, books. Will drive home Tuesday. Will have four 5 gallon cans of gasoline strapped to the cargo deck just in case.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  I can use my laser to put a happy face on the moon!
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Family has land with bathrooms and even a plumbed building in the zone of totality, so we are on! We are gonna head down Friday night and basically make a weekender of it. Movies, board games, cards, lawn games, books. Will drive home Tuesday. Will have four 5 gallon cans of gasoline strapped to the cargo deck just in case.
I would say I was going to bring the AR in case the eclipse addled horde rampaged...but I would have an AR along anyway cause 'merica
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Anybody seeing a buildup of humanity in the total eclipse zone?
Anybody getting ready to start the journey to the total eclipse zone?

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Some interesting coincidences with the eclipse.
The path of the eclipse as it crosses the US will land on seven cities named Salem.

The 2024 eclipse will cross at Salem, Kentucky which is in the path of this years eclipse.

1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Prime spot in Oregon viewing area, has a new 7,000 acre wildfire on it.
 http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/oregon-wildfire-eclipse/index.html

It is so pretty in this area too..

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Prime spot in Oregon viewing area, has a new 7,000 acre wildfire on it.
 http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/oregon-wildfire-eclipse/index.html

It is so pretty in this area too..

Cedar

Yikes!  We are visiting family in NoIdaho this week (we come every year), about 1.5 hours north of totality.  When we arrived last week, it was smoky from the fires, but a rainstorm on Sunday cleared the skies, so I am hopeful of a good view.

We have a place to watch close to center line, about 2 minutes of totality.  We will leave before 6 am Monday morning.  After the show, my extended family will be turning around to come home.  My carload will be in the hordes heading to Boise.  I have seen some estimates putting the 2 hour drive at 10 hours.  Yikes!  Trying to decide if we wait a few hours after totality to start or go right away?

We will be playing the day by ear to see how far we drive on Monday to home in Utah.  I am so excited.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Online iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member

Yep and yep.  We are at an RV park near Crossville Tennesse.  All the RV lots are sold out and have been for a couple months.  Traffic on i40 was a mess Friday afternoon but roads were otherwise fine. They have signs all along the way asking people not to stop on highways during the eclipse.We stopped by walmart and there were two national guard vehicles loading up flats of water.  But that could be normal because there is a national guard bsse here.  Ice prices have been boosted to about double what they normally are according to local RV'ers.  But that appears to be only thing which has been increased.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
I did a little research on using a welding helmet to view the eclipse.

#14 is recommended
#12 is the minimum.

I have a few lenses #11 and #6, I tried the 11 and it was a little intense and I felt myself squinting a little, so I stacked the 11 and 6 much better, not intense no squinting.

I think I'm good to go.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
My fiance and I were going to try and drive up to Nebraska (~3 hours away), but I decided I'd rather just stay here and take a long lunch at work (it's supposed to start around 11:45). He was gonna go without me, but now he's on the fence about it too after reading some news reports about the traffic. We're gonna get 93% totality here, so I think it will still be pretty cool.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

Hayfields turning into tent cities around there tonight. Roads are being closed down, not with barricades, but with locked gates. Hiking trails in the middle of nowhere, also closed

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Cedar, did you check the lens in your welding helmet? Or did you get the glasses.

Also, any update on the wildfire.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:16:54 AM by chad »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Cedar, did you check the lens in your welding helmet? Or did you get the glasses.

Also, any update on the wildfire.

I did not drive 70 miles to get my welding helmet. Just using the solar glasses, and bobs skookum video photography stuff he has with him with filters.

I had to drive into Salem, where I am right now to pick up my neighbor from the hospital, and traffic was really light on the highways this morning. More tents in fields overnight. Salem waterfront park full of tents, trailers, stages and portapotties.

I have not checked inciweb for wildfires today.

Cedar

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
I did not drive 70 miles to get my welding helmet. Just using the solar glasses, and bobs skookum video photography stuff he has with him with filters.

I had to drive into Salem, where I am right now to pick up my neighbor from the hospital, and traffic was really light on the highways this morning. More tents in fields overnight. Salem waterfront park full of tents, trailers, stages and portapotties.

I have not checked inciweb for wildfires today.

Cedar

Good to hear you got the glasses.

Maybe this won't turn into the walking dead.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
My leo friend being sent to a location to be security and evacuation control

Cedar

Online CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
I'm leaving tonight for Western KY.  Will make a day trip of it from SW MI.  I've picked an area a bit north of the center line in a town with both a large cemetary, Veterans park, and a county fairgrounds.  One of those locations should be good.  Weather so far is also good, though there are clouds forecast not too far to the west in IL and MO.  If the last model runs before the eclipse show them moving east I may still bail.  The town I've picked has barely advertised the event on either Twitter or their Facebook page and they are keeping school in session, so I am hoping for only reasonable crowds.  We get into town around 0730 and they have a Mcdonalds so we plan to eat breakfast there.  Am bringing chairs, water, snacks and a cold lunch with us and will fill up the car in IN.

My biggest concern is getting home.  There are only two bridges over the Ohio River anywhere close. And Tuesday is the first day of school for my son and me (I teach).  We'll make it, but that river is a real choke point.  I'll use the iPhone to watch traffic congestion.  If those bridges are packed we can stop well short of them for dinner or a nap and cross when they look better.

I can't wait to share this with my wife and two younger children.  I still remember how cool it was back in the 1970's when I saw one myself.
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Online iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
My biggest concern is getting home.  There are only two bridges over the Ohio River anywhere close. And Tuesday is the first day of school for my son and me (I teach).  We'll make it, but that river is a real choke point.  I'll use the iPhone to watch traffic congestion.  If those bridges are packed we can stop well short of them for dinner or a nap and cross when they look better.

Are you going through the Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro region?  If so, you shouldn't have any issues with the bridges.  They work hard,to keep traffic flowing there.  Either bridge will get you to I69 which will get you moving quickly towards Michigan.  I grew up in Michiana and have regularly driven those routes.

Online CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Yep.  Evansville is choosing Fr #1 and old Shawnee Town #2.  Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how it goes!
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Online iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Yep.  Evansville is choosing Fr #1 and old Shawnee Town #2.  Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Just looked at local news.  They have prepped Wreckers to clear bridges in case anyone blocks them:

http://www.thegleaner.com/story/news/2017/08/10/eclipse-weekend-even-henderson-authorities-urging-preparedness-patience/104382070/

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
He decided not to go, we're just gonna have lunch together and watch it from here in Denver.

There's another one in 2024 that will pass over Toledo, where I have family, so I think we'll plan on doing that (and won't have to worry about a hotel that way either).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Dead in Lincoln city. My friend wanted clam chowder, so we visited the chaos, which so far isn't. Talked to two leo and they think they may come in the morning

My other cop friend who is on evacuation duty, failed to tell me it was not for the eclipse event. It is a wildfire

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I just finished an overnight backpacking trip in the Olympic National Park.  What normally is a 3 hour drive back to Seattle/Tacoma took 6 hours today.

I-5 is a parking lot, as is US-101.  I have to think the eclipse is a factor.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Even if it is out of totality Smurf? Is it traffic all south?

I am seeing plates from British Columbia, Washington state, Wisconsin, idaho, talked to folks from California about them coming up just for the eclipse, Montana, Utah, Florida, Georgia....

I am seeing neighbors who are hosting friends at their places, they are not normally noisy on a Sunday where I can hear them.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:15:54 AM by Cedar »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
From OSP    Oregon State Police
Oreclipse traffic backed up for 15 miles on HWY 26, all the way to Prineville now. Photos from our fish and wildlife plane.

This was two days ago...

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Chehalis - SB I5 - Traffic is thick! Folks traveling towards OR for the #Eclipse2017I

First aid center on highway 22 near Detroit, Oregon

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
At 5:30am Western Oregon time

- US97, from 3 Mi N of Redmond to Terrebonne, Delay 20min-2hrs, Stop and go traffic, use caution..

- Good morning. Looks like you may have some company if you are heading SB on I-5 or 99W toward #pathoftotality. Traffic delays developing.

- Reports of heavy traffic backed up on Hwy 99w SB between Newberg and Dundee. Expect delays or find alternate routes.-

- Traffic I-5 Southbound at 217 right now. Take your time, be #Patient & keep traffic moving

site
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:00:32 AM by Cedar »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
If it wasn't so much trouble, being in totality would be cool.  We're I'm at we're 93-95% estimated, so it's not like we'll miss out.

If some old dude goes into cardiac arrest, it's going to be 100x harder to get him treatment with those crowds.  Heck, even mundane medical situations could become serious if treatment is delayed severely.  :(