Author Topic: Use of Airsoft in Modern Survival  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Darklen

• Prepper
    • Bent Barrel Airsoft
Use of Airsoft in Modern Survival
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:03:29 AM »
I'm curious about those out there who also use/play airsoft, just how it fits into your modern survival lifestyle.

I use it on multiple levels.

1) Physical fitness
Most of the games I play are Milsims (military simulations) and typically require a fair bit of gear and walking through bush and, very rarely, CQB environments. I've found the better shape I'm in, the better I can perform on a physical level. So, for me, playing works both ways physically. First actually playing is a fair bit of exercise and by working out regularly, I become a better player, at least physically.

2) Planning
I've run a lot of games over the years ranging from 10 players to over 200, averaging about 50 players a game. The amount of planning for a large Milsim can be extremely challenging. Figuring out a scenario, how the gameplay should run, how the players can (and will) screw things up, how to recover from that, how one objective rolls into the next, etc. Then the logistical part of the game, arranging a field, posting on various forums, maintaining a player headcount, planning food for the BBQ (we always have a BBQ for our larger games), contacting local authorities to advise them of the game (if smoke is used. don't want anyone thinking the bush is on fire). I've even planned scenarios from one game that roll into a scenario in another game later in the year. This planning helps keep my mind always open to planning whatever I do and makes altering plans a bit easier on the fly.

3) Gear Selection
I am what we call in the airsoft community as a Gear Whore. I love tactical gear. All of my gear is high end, real manufacturers stuff, no Chinese clones for me. It's not an elitist thing either, I destroy gear unless it's good quality. I found out very quickly that buying low cost/low end gear, while cheap, costs in the long run. For example, I purchased a Chinese clone of an Eagle CIRAS (Combat Integrated Releasable Armor System) and promptly destroyed it an a couple of games. I currently have a real Eagle Plate carrier & cummerbund with Tactical Tailor pouches. I've had the loadout for several years and I have beat the crap out of the loadout and it still looks great. No ripped seams, not torn fabric. This spills over into everyday buying as it's taught me you get what you pay for. If you buy something because it's cheap, just remember, there's a reason why it's cheap.

4) Weapons Drills
In coordination with the gear, practicing drawing, slinging, holstering and mag changes. Do it enough with a particular setup and muscle memory sets in and you do in "instinctively".

5) Teamwork
As I said earlier, I'm a big Milsim player. Working together as a team to accomplish the games objectives is what the game is all about, not a "bodycount". It's even more challenging, and therefore, more rewarding as I usually have to play with guys I don't know that well (my local community is quite small, 12 players) and I have to travel to larger centers to play the bigger games. So there's always "trust" issues between teammates during the game until you get to know each other and your capabilities. You have to force yourselves to work together to achieve a common goal even though you don't really know what each other can do. It helps teach some patience (with newbies who are just learning) as well as how to handle personality conflicts on the field between players, sometimes on the same team. (oh, no! that never happens. lol)

6) Leadership
As a game planner/admin, I'm by default, the leader of all on the field. Everyone looks to me for guidance on how the game gets run. I have to be fair to both sides, but firm when one side gains a decisive advantage an the other side wants me to "balance" the game, and I don't. Similarly, when I play and get assigned the role of squad leader or team leader/commander. I have to lead by example, and manage my resources properly. If I mismanage my resources (men, material, time), the team looks at me as a poor leader. If I do everything right, the team respects me more, even if we lose. This helps teach me to use all of my available resources to the best of my ability to achieve my objectives, whether it's capturing the opposing teams commander or planting a garden or eliminating my debt.

And, what I consider the most important lesson:

7) Integrity
Airsoft is an honour based sport. Unlike paintball, there is no mark left on a player to indicate he/she has been hit. It's on the players honesty/integrity to call their own hits and to trust others will do the same. I will be the first person to admit, there are times I don't call my hits. I don't see them, I don't feel them, I don't hear them. I will say, if I even suspect I've been hit, I will call it. I insist on leading by example in the sport. Giving your word is the same thing on the level of integrity. If you say you're going to do something, do it! Don't pretend, don't back out. Do everything in your power to live up to your word.

There's probably more, but it's been a long day. Just wanted to get more of a discussion going.
Taking the road less graveled

Offline Remington

• Survivor
Re: Use of Airsoft in Modern Survival
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »
Good points Darklen! Another valid point is that it's a fun sport to be involved in!

That said, despite being involved in airsoft for a couple of years, I still have yet to play in any organized games. I amassed quite a few of them for training/demonstration purposes, and got into the repair business for awhile out of necessity. Now that I've gotten down to a few airsoft guns in my collection I plan to find a group to play with. There just isn't that much airsoft activity in NE Ohio aside from one closed membership milsim group.
Thank you Jack and staff for the podcast and forums!

Offline Tiretool

• Prepper
  • Airsoft Maniac
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
Hey Darklen
I too am an Airsofty . I agree with your points of airsoft. We too have games and BBQ when we get enough people to play. Where we are there isn't much of a following though. SE OK
We got a kicking website that our resident graphic artist maintains if you'd like to visit.

http://www.seokairsoft.com/

I think airsoft is a great cost effective safe way to get outside exercise and practice many useful skills. Now that being said I'm sure that the DHS is watching closer than ever before!! ;D
Tiretool

Offline Darklen

• Prepper
    • Bent Barrel Airsoft
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
Here's a link to the majority of our games. Not the snow. Yes, we do play in winter.

http://community.webshots.com/user/darklen

There's a few extra pics in there, but most are from out club/team's games.
Taking the road less graveled

Offline RadioKrafter

• Prepper
  • Get Lost, We'll Find You...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
All good points Darken.  Besides doing Airsoft for fun plus all the reasons you cite, I use Airsoft as a team building exercise for my unit.

http://www.ballahackairsoft.com/home.html

I'm going to add point #8 to your list.

8)There is futility in planning to defend a fixed position over time. For those who have never been in combat but think they will survive a SHTF situation with a heavy reliance on force, a few Airsoft "games" will reveal the futility of that plan.  At the field I frequent, there is a group of buildings on the field where regular "attack and defend" exercises are held where the mission is to defend and hold those buildings.  I've been on both the attack and defend teams, made up of civilians as well as active duty and/or reserve USMC, USN, USCG, USAF and NG.  As defenders, we've set up layered defences, overlapping fields of fire and booby traps done by those who know how to do it/have done it. 

The once the attacking team identifies the fixed point/fixed asset being defended, its just a matter of time before they prevail.  The defenders usually get their butts handed to them in short order or, take unacceptable casualties. The only way the defenders prevail is by setting up a false asset, and draw the attackers to a short, violent ambush, then retreat to a rally point to defend the real asset.

So, if your idea is to sit on top of your preps with a rifle and expect to make it through say.... an afternoon once even a small  group of armed people have decided they want to take your stuff, think again.   You have to be able to move; feint and parry using standoff tactics WRT the area or thing you may be defending.  Maintain a very low profile as to where your preps, home, bug out location, etc is actually located.

Try Airsoft, you'll learn some very introspective lessons without getting hurt (too badly).

V/r
RadioKrafter
RadioKrafter
Hampton Roads, VA

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
Hey Darklen I agree with everything you say except that...

Paintball does leave a mark but you wouldn't believe the lengths people go to in order to "bend" the rules. (Cheat).
Sportsmanship is sportsmanship and that's all there is too it, play clean, play fair or go home.
I have been to pretty much all levels of the Paintball world. I have Managed fields and stores, played in many tournaments and refereed more games than I wish to count.
I was invited to "try out" for a team that became the #1 team in the world a few years ago. I turned it down. Partly
because of my schedule but mostly because a big part of the game at that level, and I'll probably get flack for this, is wiping and playing through hits - Homey don't play that.
It's a bit harder now with the Speedball, Xball and such but it's a fact. And by no means do I mean all players do it, but it is there.

But Airsoft and Paintball are very similar and do offer benefits and yes do agree it is easier to get away with cheating in Airsoft.
I think Airsoft has the edge for realistic training/preparation due to the fact that the "guns" are close to the real things making it better at familiarity with real firearms but the core concepts are the same.

And winter games are great, cold, but great.

Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.