Author Topic: Amrron Members  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Amrron Members
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
I'm not complaining but do you guys find the Comms SOI cumbersome and confusing?  Is it just me?
FF

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Amrron Members
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
I'm not a member, but I made a small donation and downloaded the SOI last fall. 

The reason it's cumbersome, is that its geared for non-amateurs.  There's all the FRS and CH3 stuff in there.
If it was just a reference for all the NETs and simplex FM frequencies, it could be 2-3 pages.

Here's what I don't get...
Let's assume everyone in possession of the SOI document had all the technical skill and gear practiced and ready.
The balloon goes up, and AMRRON people "find" each other by following the SOI.  Let's say you reach and authenticate a dozen other AMRRON members.
Perhaps a view are in town, maybe the others are 500 miles away.

Then what?

For all their short comings, most ARES teams have some infrastructure.  Joining the local county EmComm NET is part of the local government C&C (command and control).  Assets like medical or earth moving equipment can be requested. If AMRRON reports on one of their NETs that the interstate highway is blocked at mile post #123, is anyone on the NET going to take action, or at least pass along that info to some party that can?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
While AMRRON talks about the all hazards, it feels like an information net to get the word out during a resistance scenario more than anything.  I also think it could have utility in an area with a really high density of radio operators including AMRRON members.  Perhaps in the American Redoubt where there is a high percentage of hams AND a high percentage of people who use radios (CB/MURS/FRS) that don't want to become hams.

Unfortunately it seems to be another source of nets in addition to all the other competing voices.  Reading their website and following it to some of the websites linked by members, it is likely to be a source of dubious news in a crisis.

I still like that private individuals are showing commitment to preparedness, any part of the prepper movement that encourages people to get really good at a skill is to be lauded.  I also am glad I made my donation and got the SOI, it has given myself and some other folks in my area ideas on local communications procedures that I think is positive. 

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »
Information and communication in a grid down situation can be valuable or detrimental depending on the source.  You can't necessarily rely on information if it's not coming from a trusted/vetted source.  This is what drew me to ammron in the beginning.  But, their are so many layers to the SOI that it's confusing.  Even if you delve into only the Amateur radio part, it's still clumsy and bulky.  There has to be a better way.

In an "event", I, like everyone else would like to know what is going on around them.  The neighborhood, county, state etc.  Even what is happening in neighboring states could be useful.  Resources, hazards, the zombies are coming  ;D.  I can see how a group of private, trusted individuals would be much better than a "public" group even though they can be authenticated.  The problem I see is this;  It's hard enough finding like minded people to form a MAG not to mention a group that also happens to be HRO's.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
Information and communication in a grid down situation can be valuable or detrimental depending on the source.  You can't necessarily rely on information if it's not coming from a trusted/vetted source.  This is what drew me to ammron in the beginning.  But, their are so many layers to the SOI that it's confusing.  Even if you delve into only the Amateur radio part, it's still clumsy and bulky.  There has to be a better way.

In an "event", I, like everyone else would like to know what is going on around them.  The neighborhood, county, state etc.  Even what is happening in neighboring states could be useful.  Resources, hazards, the zombies are coming  ;D.  I can see how a group of private, trusted individuals would be much better than a "public" group even though they can be authenticated.  The problem I see is this;  It's hard enough finding like minded people to form a MAG not to mention a group that also happens to be HRO's.

This is why it is important that you form or take part in COMMUNITY before the need so as to have trusted people around you that you know can be depended on to help in a time of need. This community need not be just Ham operators or just CB etc. yet they should be familiars . My group has LEO's,a DA,a retired Judge,Doctors,nurses,Hams,Farmers,2 electricians/plumbers and sever outdoorsmen who know how to fillet a ZOMBIE and what spice makes them taste great.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
the key to the entire amrron 'thing' is the corps. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:32:03 AM by SCWolverine »

Offline Sailor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »

This.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »

Not sure I understand this but I'm that special kind of dumb you only read about in medical books.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:20:36 AM by Freedom Forged »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
Anyone have a good recipe for pulled pork?  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Anyone have a good recipe for pulled pork?  ;D

1 tablespoon kosher (coarse) salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1 pork loin roast (2 1/2 to 3 lb)
1 cup water or stewed tomatoes
1 cup barbecue sauce

1 In small bowl, stir together salt, paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar.
2 Spray 4- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Rinse pork roast under cool water. Rub salt mixture on pork to cover completely. Place pork in slow cooker. Add water to side of pork.
3 Cover; cook on High heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
4 In slow cooker, use 2 forks to shred pork. Stir in barbecue sauce until well mixed.

Works OK for pulled ZOMBIE also!

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »
Not sure I understand this but I'm that special kind of dumb you only read about in medical books.

in a nutshell: It's not simply a SOP, it's a community at-large with common goals. 

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 05:14:14 AM »
in a nutshell: It's not simply a SOP, it's a community at-large with common goals.

Well, I guess I'm not in it then.  Dependability on many fronts is crucial for me.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:17 AM »
Well, I guess I'm not in it then.  Dependability on many fronts is crucial for me.

It can be one of your fronts....

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »

I get what you're saying.  I guess I shouldn't say they are not for me but I'm not in the redoubt.  Getting back to the original issue, I find the Comms SOP difficult to understand and follow.  Being in the fire service for 22 years and writing many SOP's AmRRON's should be way easier to understand and follow.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »

for the cost of a cheap Baofeng plus the necessary replacement antenna, you can join-and enjoy the many benefits. 

If you're posting on/in these 2 comms boards it's "For You"

Trying not to come off like a shill (some of you know me better than that)  to almost quote ZZ Top... (it's) Bad, (It's) Nationwide...