Author Topic: Covering solar panels when not in use - any suggestions?  (Read 329 times)

Offline intheaspens

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Covering solar panels when not in use - any suggestions?
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
We are now (finally!) the proud owners of a good-sized solar generator for use in outages - at least for the foreseeable future.  We have a great location for the panels, but since they currently won't be in use most of the time wanted to cover them when they're not in use to save wear and tear.  We live at altitude in the mountains and so have blazing hot sun during the day and can have lots of snow in the winter.  Due to the altitude hail isn't much of an issue.

I'm thinking of perhaps getting some grill covers for them, but does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Re: Covering solar panels when not in use - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
I would think a good thick tarp should do.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Are the panels far enough part that you can make a 5 sided 'box' to slip over them? I was thinking like 1x2" on the edges of a 1/4" plywood top.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline intheaspens

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
Hadn't considered that, but I like it!  The problem with things like grill covers and tarps is that the weather eats them up in our environment and we have to constantly replace them.  Now you have me thinking of some sort of simple "panel shed" that we could open up and expose the panels when in use and otherwise have them closed.

So now I have to have a cuppa coffee and think about that... ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
  If the system works with a battery bank,How do you plan to maintain the battery bank?
Properly produced panels are made to survive being in the weather and the system will be at it's best if USED to power something within it's capacity so as to exercise the batteries and maintain system integrity. 
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
  If the system works with a battery bank,How do you plan to maintain the battery bank?
Properly produced panels are made to survive being in the weather and the system will be at it's best if USED to power something within it's capacity so as to exercise the batteries and maintain system integrity.

Right.  I've seen permanent installs on boats and RVs.  Some of those are subjected to fairly extreme elements.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
I was presuming he was going to unhook and store the batteries, but yes, you are right.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
  Batteries go 'bad' slowly from the day they are made.
They last longer when charged AND DISCHARGED within design parameters. What I refer to as "exercise"

I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?