Author Topic: Howw about this solar oven design?  (Read 949 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Howw about this solar oven design?
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:46 AM »
I am thinking of making it, but single wall and single paned.
I will be painting the outside black, and i will calculate the glass angle for the local sun height at summer.

https://youtu.be/hXSVk6bOc1k?list=PL_YA8U2Xu6oGZ4qhXzhEo--2peHUn5XM7

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Howw about this solar oven design?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:20:43 AM »
HA! It is all Greek to me.. hehehe Actually the video wont load for me.
Um.. also paint the inside black. Why the single wall? How are you going to be able to have heat retention? I always paint the inside of mine black, and my cooking item (usually a 2 qt roaster pan) are also black.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline chad

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:48 AM »
HA! It is all Greek to me..

Cedar

:spit:

It loaded for me. I need to try this.

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »
Double walled is good, and important. there should be some insulation between the two walls, leftover fiberglass, or wadded up newspaper. foil on the inside walls is good, keep it that way, it is common, use a black pot

This design has casters because it is so heavy --
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:30:47 AM »
I am reluctant to build such a big and costly project, especially when it is more of a skill developing experiment.
Let alone that i will have to drag the damned thing to the building roof to use it...
And i do not think I will be cooking any other meat than sausages. Vegetable dishes mostly and maybe slow cooked beans?

Also, it can also be upgraded to a double walled version if need be.

Regarding construction I intent to line the walls with aluminum foil on the inside and paint them black on the outside.
I think that this will make a positive temperature difference.

What do you think?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:59:24 AM »
I am reluctant to build such a big and costly project, especially when it is more of a skill developing experiment.
Let alone that i will have to drag the damned thing to the building roof to use it...

My cardboard one was around $7 to make and that was buying the high temp black spray paint. It was really light. The trick is to find your cooking vessel first, and it can even be a back painted glass jar with a lid, and build your solar oven around it. The reason I have not worked on mine yet this week, other than the materials for it, is I want to cook two things in it at once, and I have not found the two qt roasting pan I want yet.

My tinfoil on the inside was painted black to absorb heat. The cardboard on the outside was just plain cardboard tan. My newest one will be blue n the outside, as that is the colour of the plywood I found. But the inside will be painted with high temp black.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
what is the difference between the black and the reflective interior?

yes i have a vessel in mind...it is an enameled iron cookpot with lid (black and used in the oven, the US is well known for them, but the name elapses me).
Obviously the oven will be built around it

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
what is the difference between the black and the reflective interior?

yes i have a vessel in mind...it is an enameled iron cookpot with lid (black and used in the oven, the US is well known for them, but the name elapses me).
Obviously the oven will be built around it

This thing? A roasting pan

So many people build their solar ovens first and then try to find the right sized cooking vessel. So you are smart you thought of building around the 'roasting pan'.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
yep I found a small, cheap (read that as light) that can barely hold a small chicken. But a meal of 2, yes

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
yep I found a small, cheap (read that as light) that can barely hold a small chicken. But a meal of 2, yes

I had a 2 quart one in my former oven and I think I left it in Canada. So I am on the hunt for another one in that size, and 5-7 stores later I still have not found one. I have even looked at second hand stores.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »
I wont start a new thread, so this is a good place to ask...

How does solar oven size relevant to cooking vessel affect cooking?

If we are to threat S.O. as a greenhouse, it takes more time to reach maximum temp but it will maintain heat for longer

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
I think enamelware is what you are looking for? At least that is what I have called that type of cookware.

I have a purchased a sun oven, so had to look for pans that would work with it... I have an enamelware pan for larger things and also found some dark red cooking pots with glass lids that work pretty well.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
No...the question actually is....are there benefits having a solar oven with just enough room for the enamelware (thanks for the proper term) or having an oven that has -say- 5 inches clearance on each side...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
I can't really say if it would make a difference on the efficiency of your cooking. It seems like it would take longer for things to heat up, but maybe retain heat longer. More space gives more options to add other things to the oven. Some people use mason jars (which could potentially fit in the corners) in addition to the traditional pots and pans.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 12:02:21 AM »
I see..thanks for the tip on the jars