Author Topic: Best Way To Store Sugar?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
Best Way To Store Sugar?
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
The last few months local grocery stores have been running granulated sugar as a loss leader. Price varies, free with coupon and specific dollar purchase to $0.25/lb. So I now have 14 4 lb. bags. I've read sugar essentially stores indefinitely but haven't seen suggested methods of storage. Wondering what would be best, leave it in the bag and on a shelf, pour into air tight bucket with O2 absorber, pack in mylar bags with O2 absorber. My sugar usage varies depending on amount of baking and jelly/pickle making.

In the past I've just put it on a shelf in it's bag. It will turn into a brick almost but breaks right up again with almost no effort.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Best Way To Store Sugar?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
no O2 absorber in sugar.  I am not entirely sure why, but I think it has to do with creating a very large sugar cube/cylinder.  I have canned sugar in #10 cans at the LDS cannery and they told us not to put one in.
I have a few cans of sugar.  I also have 2 6-gal sealed buckets of white sugar, plus an open one.
Brown sugar is still in their bags sitting in a cupboard; same with powdered.
I also have a few #10 cans of honey powder
We buy 4-6 gallons of maple syrup a year and rotate through that
I do have an open 6-gal bucket of maple sugar that I prefer to use for baking
and I have 12 2-quart jars that I rotate through with local honey.

Now I realize this question was for granulated sugar, but I thought I would share the other ways I store sugar as well.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
I have stored it in the 40 lb sack on the shelf. Depending on your humidity, this may work. In Canada, I stored it in new metal garbage cans. Currently I use bakery buckets, with a good seal on the lid. Sometimes I have had it clump, but chiseling with a butter knife works, or if you need it fine, toss into a food processor a second or two. Much longer and you will have powdered sugar.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »
Depends on what your potential issues are, too.

For me, humidity isn't much of an issue, but those tiny grease ants are.  I've seen a whole mess of them get into an unopened bag of pork rinds.  So I store sugar in a sealed Rubbermaid container just the way it is, without adding anything.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »
  I have used a funnel to pour sugar into 1 liter plastic drink bottles,I can bang it about to break up any solids and pour from the bottle.
Is this a good method? I don't really know as it has only been stored for 6 years ,so far...though I would avoid heat ,light,and moisture ...
plus any sugar lovin' critters.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
I can speak to some industrial usage. Sugar is mostly bulk stored and then reground upon usage. I copy this at home. I put a 5 lb bag in a bigger Ziplock bag and forget about it. If it gets "clumpy" I pulse it in a Cuisinart. Done.

Note that this is climate dependent. Sugar will not store well in a swamp. In humid conditions I would use a hard container and, if necessary, add some rice in a cloth bag to help suck up moisture.

I worry more about bugs in flour than in sugar but both are usually right next to each other on the pantry. A Ziplock usually is enough but it depends what bug you have.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
Thanks all of you. I was thinking about putting it in a 5 gallon bucket but may just leave it as is. I'm on the Texas Gulf coast and humidity is often high but all my storage is inside in the AC. It clumps up but that doesn't bother me, easy enough to break.

I store salt the same way. I buy Canning and Pickling salt almost exclusively and though it clumps it also breaks quite easily. I never put rice in it. I do by Kosher and sea salt but not large quantities.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
Buckets are very cheap, often free. Buckets, if sealed, will protect you from ants, where just being in the bag, or bag in ziplock the ants will get it. Maybe it is just my house that gets crazy ants, but they will find and destroy sugar or fat just about anywhere, and all sugar must be in a sealed bucket, or a quart canning jar with screw on lid.

Carls soda bottle method would work well too.

Look for free soda bottles or buckets. Donut shops can be a good place for free buckets, in some locations. Grocery store baking departments too. Around here, they charge, so it is about as cheap to buy a new one. Home depot, WinnCo, various other places would likely sell a cheap bucket and than that sugar will be that when you want it. My last few buckets were from a neighbor who commercially makes soap and gets her oils in 5 gallon buckets

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
The buckets and Gamma lids I have I got at Home Depot. I've heard Walmart has buckets at about half the price but I haven't been able to find them in the store or online. Nevertheless I pay less at HD that I've seen them on the LTS supplier sites. I've only had a problem with bugs in flour once, I had it for several years. Flour is now in sealed buckets.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
I use these buckets on wheels for the pantry. Air tight and they roll.  I would buy them in person so you know the size you are buying. I have had one full of sugar for years and no clumping at all. I empty the sugar into this container and throw the paper bag away.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Airtight-Pet-Food-Storage/20904042

Jerseyboy

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:28:02 AM »
I'll take a look at those.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
I use these buckets on wheels for the pantry. Air tight and they roll.  I would buy them in person so you know the size you are buying. I have had one full of sugar for years and no clumping at all. I empty the sugar into this container and throw the paper bag away.

Jerseyboy

Good idea for stuff that is not effected by light.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
I don't have enough sugar stored to use buckets, as we don't really use very much of it.
I do store some though, and we are in WA state, so I try to keep out any humidity.
I had several quart jars that weren't currently being used, so I just threw the sugar (and salt) in them for quick easy storage.
Keeps them sealed nicely, and they are stored away in a dark room, with no worries of any bugs since they are in glass.
They are also nice because they are light, and not as heavy to lug around as buckets.
I've heard of people buying and using the new (never filled) gallon paint cans at Home Depot also. 
Not free...but cheap, and smaller/lighter than the big 5 gallon buckets to carry

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »
Of course if you lose power you probably aren't any better off. Here's another way to store sugar, make jellies with it.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Hey Red I store our sugar in glass. Either those 80oz pickle jars or gallon masons. Ants will invade the bags here if I leave it in a bag. Month or so ago I got 3-4 bags to refill some jars that we had emptied. 2-3 days later the ants found 1 bag and invaded it.  >:(
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 04:16:53 AM »
I haven't had an ant problem with sugar, yet. I did have bugs in some flour in the same area. Pretty sure I shouldn't have so much sugar but I hit a $0.99/4lb. sale. Got 60 lbs. setting on a shelf now. I could come up with 4 of those 80 oz. jars and a bunch of quart mayo and canning jars but still that wouldn't hold it all. Guess I better get busy making jelly, cookies, etc. Sorry for the delayed response, my modem went down and had to be replaced. Took a couple days.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 05:22:45 AM »
  A funnel and a few ,washed and dried,2 liter drink bottles will handle 'bug free' storage,though mice might get through.

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
Yeah I've had mice chew through much heavier plastic to get to bird seed. I'm thinking I may get a 5 gallon bucket and gamma lid or 2. One should hold 30+ lbs. I'll probably never have this much on hand again but who knows.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Yeah I've had mice chew through much heavier plastic to get to bird seed. I'm thinking I may get a 5 gallon bucket and gamma lid or 2. One should hold 30+ lbs. I'll probably never have this much on hand again but who knows.

There are the PEPPERMINT treatments that mice really avoid and they make the storeroom minty fresh .

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Yes a gamma lid bucket then jars for the overflow sounds good. 2000 1/2 pints of jelly will also work.  ;D ;D

Oh. Saving ant invaded sugar is a lost cause. Tried sifting the ants out of the sugar, but the little ants went right through the strainer.  :rofl:
Told the wife we could label that batch *With added protein*, but I got shot down on that one.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Yes a gamma lid bucket then jars for the overflow sounds good. 2000 1/2 pints of jelly will also work.  ;D ;D

Oh. Saving ant invaded sugar is a lost cause. Tried sifting the ants out of the sugar, but the little ants went right through the strainer.  :rofl:
Told the wife we could label that batch *With added protein*, but I got shot down on that one.

Its not just the added protein, even if you could sift out the bodies, the taste would be changed by the formic acid from the squished ants
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »
Taste change. Can't have that.  :rofl:

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
  Pouring the sugar slowly through the draft of a fan can separate most of the less dense ants from most of the sugar OR running it through the still to make FUEL or medicine will also eliminate much of the ant residue ,though it was cheap an critters will make food of it.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
For long-term storage of sugar, I have used 5 gallon buckets plus a mylar bag liner. It has worked well. For the day to day use, I typically buy the 4 lb bags of sugar when they go on sale and store them as is in 5 gallon buckets (it isn't as efficient, since the buckets won't hold as much weight, but it is much easier to take out and replenish the kitchen sugar container).

@MS: Thanks for the ideas on your other sweetener storage.

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:46 AM »
I'm leaning towards a couple of food grade buckets with no mylar liner. Kitchen use is taken care of. LvsChant that sale deal is how I wound up with so much sugar.  :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
I got another 80oz pickle jar freed up for more sugar storage.  :excited:

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 04:39:24 AM »
I have 14 4lb. bags in my store room and one in the kitchen. Probably takes up less room as is than it would in a bucket.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
I'm thinking a gamma lid bucket might be ok for the house. My lids should be here today looking at the tracking #. I may play with making some dividers for beans

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
I'm thinking a gamma lid bucket might be ok for the house. My lids should be here today looking at the tracking #. I may play with making some dividers for beans

Do you pack your beans separately???  Sounds like a lot of trouble. :P

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »

Jerseyboy
Well why the heck didn't I think of that!
How about this for moving heavy buckets around...

1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.