Author Topic: WIN 231 Pistol Powder  (Read 404 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
WIN 231 Pistol Powder
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
     I just picked up a couple of pounds of WIN 231 at Cabelas. It's an old standby, but I had heard it had been discontinued. Lots of reloading forums seemed to mourn it's passing. These were factory fresh 1 lbs. in black plastic jars with modern labeling. Maybe Winchester is still making it? Then again it could be HP38, but packaged for Winchester, as I understand they are the same thing.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: WIN 231 Pistol Powder
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:09:34 AM »
WW231 is made by OLIN here in South Shreveport,Louisiana. I have not heard of it's discontinuance but I don't get out much these days . I can tell you that WW231 and HP38 are IDENTICAL POWDER MADE BY OLIN and though reload data differs from manual to manual ,the HP38 will load and perform just fine . I do doubt the WW231 was discontinued as it has been in production for many years and there is no history of problems with this powder,perhaps it was the counter person who was mistaken? I add a quote from the Smith and Wesson forum:

I got so tired of hearing stories on this and other Forums regarding W231 Powder that I decided to call Hodgedon Powder directly to find out if the rumors of W231 being discontinued are true or false.

According to one of their customer Service Technical Guys, W231 is NOT being discontinued, nor is HP-38 which is the same powder being manufactured with a different label. He told me he too has heard the rumors but as far as he and other employees know, there are no plans for discontinuing it.

Some powders are indeed being dropped to narrow production requirements,but HP38/WW231 are ,so far,to remain in production. My personal note.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:32 AM »
     Thanks!
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
     Thanks!

I did nothing but tell you about my favorite powder . I don't see this powder going away before plasma rifles are common.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
I did nothing but tell you about my favorite powder . I don't see this powder going away before plasma rifles are common.

wish they would hurry up. i want to shoot them before i am too old too..

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
Shot both powders in many a handgun load as well as a couple cast rifle loads and they are indeed the same powder,if I can't find one I just grab the other but I usually keep several lbs. on the shelf and just buy another when I use one up. The Hodgdon load data site still shows identical load data for both powders with a given load.