Author Topic: Exploding whipped-cream maker causes death  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

  • Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • *******
  • Posts: 14535
  • Karma: 1860
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Exploding whipped-cream maker causes death
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
You may have seen the bizarre news that a French fitness blogger by the name of Rebecca Burger was killed last weekend by an exploding whipped cream maker. This is the sort that you fill with your own cream mixture, and pressurize with a tiny nitrous oxide charger. A piece struck her in the chest and caused a heart attack.

The model was sold under the brand name "Ard'Time", and had been recalled in 2013 because of the defect. However, the identical model has been sold under other brands. We have one made by "iSi Metallwarenfabrik" in Austria -- I think we bought it from the Williams-Sonoma catalog in the 1990s.

The affected models have a heavy HDPE plastic head of a particular shape:



If you have a whipped cream maker that looks like this, don't use it.