Author Topic: Rifle Skills  (Read 4959 times)

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
Re: Rifle Skills
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 01:10:53 AM »
I'm a pretty good shot with pistols and shotguns but there's a big hole in my gun game. I've never really developed the "rifleman" skill. Yes, I have an AR with a red dot and I can make hits. But I want to be the guy who has pinpoint accuracy at range.
What I could use is a book or books about developing the skill of shooting. I'm not looking to be an expert shooting a .338 Lapua a mile (though I respect you guys). I need something to get me off training wheels and strong in fundamentals. When I did shoot pistols a lot I did drills and dry fire daily. When I got into shotguns I did changeover drills and sight picture work. I want the drills and practice that will make me solid with a rifle. And I want to avoid bad habits.

Any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Start practicing from day 1 with a proper rifle sling. 
Start with 2 exercises, both in the prone -
 -- work on breathing - 1. inhale normally, 2. exhale half,  3. pause breathing and squeeze trigger, 4 finish exhale
 -- work on your natural point of aim 1.aim, 2.close your aiming eye for 3~5 seconds, 3.when you open it are you still aimed at the same spot?
Advance to dry-firing your rifle in the prone, doing the 'penny trick'

To diagnose breathing and/or trigger-squeeze problems, use a cam-corder and a "laser boresight" in a dark hallway (outside after dark is even better - set up for 50~100 meters if possible).  set camcorder on tripod to record the target from a distance of 5 to 8 feet.  turn on the boresight laser and put it in your chamber.  Get into the prone and do dry-fire exercises while aiming at the target...10 to 20 reps, not more.  Stop and review recording to see what results your actions created.  Do another set and try to feel the errors you saw in the video.  Work the errors out of your autonomic behavior by repeating this exercise, several sets each day, until corrected. 

If still having difficulty after 5 days, go back and look at your point of aim - is it really your natural point of aim, or are you 'forcing it'?

Do all of this before you start wasting ammo.

Cheers
/LR

Offline James1979

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »
Check out the Leupold Academy if you wouldn't mind traveling to Oregon for a week.
https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core/core-communities/optics-academy/precision-scoped-rifle-1-psr-1
Looking good scope.

Offline James1979

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noGN55b-kVI  This guy is spot on on everything except for when he says to load the rifle bipod.

:) :) :)