Author Topic: What would you do with this?  (Read 540 times)

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
What would you do with this?
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
Near one corner of my property I have about 100 yards of old, out of use, concrete irrigation ditch.  As of now, it's just unsightly, gets in the way of pasture management, and takes up space.  I considered taking it out but that seemed like more work than it would be worth.  I thought about filling it in, but then I'd inevitable have problems with any cultivation in the field, etc.  Then I started trying to envision a different type of answer ... the problem is the solution, right?

It would be easy enough to make it water tight again (or reasonably so.)  Thought about using it to water stock, but it's a big ditch to keep fresh for only a few head.  It would be great if I could come up with an aquaculture solution -- that would be really cool.  Or.....

Anybody have any brilliant ideas?

Design parameters:
USDA zone 4, so it will be drained or it will freeze in the winter
Essentially no shade
About 100 yards long, stated like an upside-down trapezoid - 3 ft wide at the top and a foot wide at the bottom and about 12-18 inches deep
It buts up against my irrigation canal, so I can use water from there to fill it if I want to, but it's unfiltered ag water (i.e. lots of sediment etc)

Any ideas from the TSP hive-mind are welcome.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
Re: What would you do with this?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:30 AM »
picture didn't work.

Small pond possible?
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
I thought I had replied to this when you posted it...... Sorry the post did not stick for some reason.

But I was wondering about wild rice (which is not a true rice). There is a farm in Michigan (?) that sells it for seed stock. I am sure you can find it elsewhere.  But it would be a nice crop for you if like eating it. 30% naturally shatters, so it is good for wildlife and reseeding purposes. If you can grow it in a kiddie pool, I think this ditch would work excellently.

Harvest would not require a boat, just walk one side with a wheelbarrow and two sticks. One pulls the stalks over the wheelbarrow, the other to.tap the plant to make the rice drop in. I'd do one side, and then up the other.

I was looking into growing it when I was considering buying 160 acres with a 30 acre lake on it. Ducks Unlimited up there had a program at the time with wild rice for wildlife as well as fencing.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Look up wicking garden beds.  Sounds like you have a great opportunity for some perennial crops.
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
.... wondering about wild rice (which is not a true rice). There is a farm in Michigan (?) that sells it for seed stock. I am sure you can find it elsewhere.  But it would be a nice crop for you if like eating it. 30% naturally shatters, so it is good for wildlife and reseeding purposes. If you can grow it in a kiddie pool, I think this ditch would work excellently.

Harvest would not require a boat, just walk one side with a wheelbarrow and two sticks. One pulls the stalks over the wheelbarrow, the other to.tap the plant to make the rice drop in. I'd do one side, and then up the other.

I was looking into growing it when I was considering buying 160 acres with a 30 acre lake on it. Ducks Unlimited up there had a program at the time with wild rice for wildlife as well as fencing.

I like that idea!  Will have to see if I can make it work!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
If you get some harvested, I wanna get 1/2 cup of seed off you.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
Deal, but you'll need to be patient!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
Deal, but you'll need to be patient!

I can outdo Job....

Cedar