Author Topic: Influenza....  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
Influenza....
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »
I work in corrections and we have just had an influenza outbreak in the prison.

I have literally spent the whole day marveling at the utter stupidity of the human race.

As soon as we walked in this morning we all got a brief from the medical staff, who explained in great detail what it was all about. We were all issued P1 face masks and told how to use them, issued medical gloves, hand sanitiser, medical bleach etc etc

This message was then rolled out to the prisoners along with the same PPE as the Officers....

Bearing in mind we have actual seriously sick people everywhere!

Therefore i was blown away when 99%of the prisoners refused to use the PPE or to follow any of the safety procedures, such as cancelling visits with the very young, the elderly or the pregnant or limiting contact with other people.

I am now utterly convinced that in the event of a true pandemic, most people are simply too damn stupid to survive.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Influenza....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
I am surprised that humans actually have survived as a species as long as we have.

Cedar

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »
I am surprised that humans actually have survived as a species as long as we have.

Cedar

No shit, I literally have no words for the stupid I witnessed today....

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Reflect on that population and what got them there. Was it acting intelligently? Just saying.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »
I'm getting my flu shot this weekend.  Hopefully not too late.

People are stupid.  I wish I could deny that, but it's true. 

And I do think Redman has a point - if you had to find a large number of people who repeatedly made good decisions, you might want to start your search somewhere other than the prison population.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:44 AM »
Yeah got my flu shot several weeks ago. As for the other all I know is, every time I've gotten myself in deep doo-doo it was from being stupid.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »
Reflect on that population and what got them there. Was it acting intelligently? Just saying.

Touche.

But it really does blow your mind so see that level of idiocy when 40 out of 196 are bed ridden......

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
I think this is a quote from someone, I've forgotten who. "Never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity."  ;)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
I just trotted this one out over at the "generator deaths in Florida" thread, but it fits pretty well here too:
Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
-Robert A. Heinlein

The prison population really is a special, self-selected group of individuals who either can't or won't think of long-term consequences.  That's the ideal set-up for the behavior you're describing, Cylon.  You said that about 1 in 100 uses the provided gear there; I'd guess that in the general population this would soar to maybe 1 in 5!  ::)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »
I just trotted this one out over at the "generator deaths in Florida" thread, but it fits pretty well here too:
The prison population really is a special, self-selected group of individuals who either can't or won't think of long-term consequences.  That's the ideal set-up for the behavior you're describing, Cylon.  You said that about 1 in 100 uses the provided gear there; I'd guess that in the general population this would soar to maybe 1 in 5!  ::)

:clap:

Love that quote..... :)