Author Topic: Help! My wife and I somehow average $1400 a month on food  (Read 8998 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Re: Help! My wife and I somehow average $1400 a month on food
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
 I eat out a fair amount but I go to many restaurants until I find some that I feel are good quality food and portions for the money. I also eat at buffets which are all you can eat deals for $12 etc.

I only go out to eat when I am fairly hungry so I either eat everything or bring home leftovers

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Since you guys are busy, both work, the planning the weeks meals will save money, as you will have a plan. Also, having everything prepped so that the food is ready or will be so quick when you get home that it is quicker than eating out will help. A crock pot can make a meat dish or cassarole while you are at work, then you can just steam some kale to go with it, so 5 minutes after you walk thru the door, you have dinner. Crock pot can make some soups and chili, now that it is getting cooler. Then, if no time, a salad and piece of that dave's bread for toast to go with the soup
and you have dinner. I have seen that some people will prep ahead if it is going to be a busy week, then they just dump their pre-prepped zip lock bag out of the freezer, into the crock pot  in the morning. Eating dinner leftovers for lunch is a great idea, that way each day only needs one meal plan.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
I have seen that some people will prep ahead if it is going to be a busy week, then they just dump their pre-prepped zip lock bag out of the freezer, into the crock pot  in the morning.

America's Test Kitchen has you covered in that respect, if you need some recipe ideas: The Complete Make-Ahead Cookbook.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2017, 05:45:01 AM »
Im also.jyst wondering, since you seem to eat fresh, natural and/or organic, how are you handling your Long term food storage?

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
[DAY 4]

I skipped Breakfast. Wife had two eggs
I had a bowl of cereal for lunch, and wife had left overs.
Dinner was chicken $7.64 and bushes baked beans from storage.

Again this is not a normal week, and probably not a good week to be conducting this exercise. [Details to follow.....]

Im also.jyst wondering, since you seem to eat fresh, natural and/or organic, how are you handling your Long term food storage?

Like many of us on TSP I have a mini supermarket in my garage consisting of 9 guerrilla racks.

Below is what I have been using over the years.

My approximate contents:

Utility Rack 1 - Hygiene Soaps, Toilet paper, toothpaste, medical,
Utility Rack 2 - Small Propane bottles, tiki fuel, Cleaning chemicals, Gasoline, light bulbs batteries, Black out kit
Food Rack 3 - Dog food, glass jars, dried pasta, dried fruit, small bags dried beans, vacuum pack jars of rice,
Food/ Bev Rack 4 - Juices/small bottled water, Canned Goods/ condiments, Baking goods
Food Equip Rack 5 - canner, dehydrator, slow cooker, kitchen Fermentation crock, food slicer, food processor   
Food Rack 6 - Empty Jars and over flow jars of food, Soymilk, soup stock
Food Rack 7 - Wine making equipment, and Decomissioned DIY Aeroponics setup
Food Rack 8 - ???? I forget
Hanging Rack 9 - Use for Dry curing biltong, sausages, and other meats also has a fan pointing on it.
I got to go out and check what is on the other rack. I got this info from one on my old posts 3 years ago.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:56:27 AM by Black November »