Author Topic: Educate me on poncho use (fastening etc)  (Read 570 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Educate me on poncho use (fastening etc)
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
well..I have got ponchos in my outdoor gear, but I have never used them.
So i have questions that could not be answered in YT etc.

So, how are ponchos best used when it is windy also?
Should they be tied around the waist, and with what slack?
Should one put press-buttons to close the poncho from the waist down?

or anything else coming from your experience....
Thank you!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Educate me on poncho use (fastening etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »
What material are they made from?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
I have cheap ponchos which came in sorta a outdoor kitchen, and they will probably rip as soon as you take them out if the package. I prefer to think of them for water distillation, water catchment maybe, maybe wrapping something to keep it dryish.

Better quality ones which are waterproof nylon I let hang, as if you tie it, any moisture underneath has nowhere to go and you stay perpetually damp. Especially if you are walking/working etc.

I have a lovely wool one, and it hangs to my knees. Wool wicks water away from you. And with it's weight I have never tied it. It is nice to sleep in as well.

Emergency ponchos I keep extra heavy duty black construction garbage bags. I actually put all my BOB gear inside if it in case my pack gets rained on. Keep a could spares as well. That way I can use them for multiple things, rainwater colection, keeping gear dry, or rip out a head and armholes for waterproof poncho.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »
  I have always used a pancho without restrictive ties as you want to allow moisture to escape or it can do little to keep you dry as condensation can make you miserable. 
  I think of it as a tent that you wear and will work well in wind as they are best when made from heavy ,rubberized,rugged material unless in a storm and storms are best survived under other cover .
  I often tie the corners to supports and use one as cover and water catchment as it is great for potable water collection.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
thanks on the moisture thing!

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
I keep a few US military ponchos stashed here and there, and look for good deals on more.
They are made of ripstop nylon, and have snaps and grommets around the edges.  They are very versatile.  You can use them as the obvious poncho, or use the grommets to make a tarp.  You can button multiple ponchos together to make a larger tarp or tent.  They make quilted liners that snap in for an insulated poncho, or to make a bivvy.  The ponchos are big enough that they can cover you and any pack that you're carrying.  They also have internal tabs that you can lace them up with. 
Military ponchos are intended to drape loosely over you to allow for ventilation and freedom of movement.  The snaps at the edges will keep a poncho from flapping around in the wind too much.
=)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:34 AM »
and that i the reason I am considering fastening. Cos most of my civilian ponchos have no provision for.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 04:12:58 AM »
Ponchos are best for keeping off light rain or drizzle while moving around or as a one person shelter or rain break (tarp) when stationary.  As Carl stated, because they are waterproof/non-breathable, you want to wear them loose to allow for air circulation underneath and reduce the condensation from sweating.  They do blow around quite a bit in a wind so your legs and feet are liable to get pretty soaked. 

I tried using ponchos as primary rain protection for a short while but got too frustrated and soaked.  Now I prefer loose fitting rain jacket and pants (with drawstring waist).  I still pack a poncho as an additional emergency shelter.  When the wind is howling on a mountain pass or bare rock ridge and you can barely think, it is nice to be able to hunker down when stopping for a rest underneath another layer of windbreak.

I don't have much use for the lightweight ponchos.  If the weather is not severe then the rain suit is plenty by itself.  If I want that additional rain/wind break then I take the heavier military nylon poncho.  And if I am tent camping I also take the military poncho as an emergency tarp, in case my main tarp(s) is damaged.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
  They make quilted liners that snap in for an insulated poncho, or to make a bivvy.

I know of few, if any, soldiers who left home for a GWOT deployment without their woobie... Maybe they are less popular now, but at least in the first 10 years of the wars they were much loved indeed.
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi