Author Topic: Becoming an Outdoors-Woman  (Read 16158 times)

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
Becoming an Outdoors-Woman
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:48 AM »
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/bow/index.aspx

Becoming an Outdoors-Woman (BOW) means becoming more competent, more confident, and more aware. BOW is an outdoor skills program that offers women a chance to grow. 20,000+ women attend BOW events every year. More than 80 weekend-long workshops are held all across North America annually. The workshops introduce women to a variety of activities equally balanced between hunting and shooting, fishing, and non-harvest sports like canoeing and camping. Participants choose from a list of over 20 activities.

Click on the link above to find a workshop near you.
I plan on attending the one in Montgomery, AL October 2-4 and the one in Tallahassee, FL October 9-11 if any other TSP ladies would like to meet up there LMK.
Kris in Crestview, FL

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
Re: Becoming an Outdoors-Woman
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »
Wow! I had no idea this was even available. Can you give me more information, what is the cost? I am from north Florida and would love to attend the Workshop in Tallahassee October 9-11 Thanks!

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:17:15 AM »
The registration fee is $175 per person. This fee includes instruction, program materials, use of demonstration equipment, a t-shirt, two-nights lodging and meals starting with lunch on Friday through lunch on Sunday. If you click on the link you will see a list of classes they offer with descriptions. The brochure and registration paperwork has not been updated for 2009 on the site.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
FYI: Registration for BOW is open for AL and FL (Tallahassee)

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »
I just came back from the BOW weekend in Alabama and it was great! I am going back in the Spring for sure. Unfortunately I will miss the BOW in Tallahassee this weekend but plan to make it to a Florida BOW as soon as I can. From what I heard, the AL BOW program is one of the best in the country and the facilities are "less rustic" than what is offered in FL. I learned how to load and shoot a muzzle loader flint action rifle, throw tomahawks, primitive ways to make fire, dutch oven cooking, archery, tasted squirrel, went on a night hike, enjoyed a bonfire camp out with other like-minded ladies, learned how to ride and do maintenance on an ATV and all about deer hunting...in just one weekend. It was awesome and I highly recommend it!

- Kris in NW Florida

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
I just came back from the BOW weekend in Alabama and it was great! I am going back in the Spring for sure. Unfortunately I will miss the BOW in Tallahassee this weekend but plan to make it to a Florida BOW as soon as I can. From what I heard, the AL BOW program is one of the best in the country and the facilities are "less rustic" than what is offered in FL. I learned how to load and shoot a muzzle loader flint action rifle, throw tomahawks, primitive ways to make fire, dutch oven cooking, archery, tasted squirrel, went on a night hike, enjoyed a bonfire camp out with other like-minded ladies, learned how to ride and do maintenance on an ATV and all about deer hunting...in just one weekend. It was awesome and I highly recommend it!

- Kris in NW Florida

skiffgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »
These are great classes. I took one here in Alaska and intend to go back and do some more this winter and next summer. They are great for teaching useful skills in a non competitive enviroment.

Offline Political Atheist

• Prepper
    • Medical Marijuana Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »
Wow! Great info. I'm going to have to see if there's something similar in CO. I'll post whatever 411 I find.

skiffgirl

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I just though I would pop back in and leave the link to the main sight, if you go there you can find the link to your states sight with a class schedule.
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/bow/

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
I checked out the site and it sure looks like a good time. I've bookmarked the Maine chapter to keep an eye on future events.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
There is also the "Women In The Outdoors" put on by the Wild Turkey Federation. (All over the U.S.)

Offline keepitlow

• Banned Scumbag
  • Survivor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
Conditioning for Outdoor Fitness: functional exercise and nutrition for every body / David
Musnick

Highly recommend.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Thank you Flagtag; I'll be checking that site out too.

I did find that I just missed a couple of seminars through BOW. Will have to make a point of periodically checking that site for updates.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
The Next BOW Workshop is October 1-3, 2010
Online Registration Begins July 26 at 6 p.m.
Email sylvia.payne@dcnr.alabama.gov or call 800-262-3151 for more information.

Nature-based recreation is an increasingly popular pastime among families. Yet, many women encounter barriers to the outdoors. Thanks to the exciting Becoming an Outdoors-Woman (BOW) program, scores of women are successfully overcoming these barriers. The BOW program is more than just an event, it is a nationwide movement.

BOW is a three day workshop designed for women ages 18 years or older. The workshop offers hands-on instruction in a fun and non-threatening learning environment. Participants choose from over 50 courses such as backyard wildlife, rock climbing, camp cooking, map and compass, camping, mountain biking, shooting sports (pistol, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, as well as gun safety), fishing, hunting, canoeing, nature photography, nature crafts, archery, ATV handling, bird watching, motor boat handling, and more.

This workshop is for you if . . .

You have never tried these activities but have hoped for an opportunity to learn.

You are a beginner who hopes to improve your skills.

You already do some of these activities but would like to learn some new ones.

You enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded individuals.

Becoming an Outdoors-Woman is held twice each year. The next workshop is March 6-8, 2009, at the Alabama 4H Center near Columbiana in Shelby County.  Cost for the weekend adventure is $199 and covers meals, lodging, program materials and instruction. All instructional equipment is provided. For additional information about Becoming an Outdoors-Woman contact:

Sylvia Payne, Coordinator
AL Department of Conservation & Natural Resources
64 North Union Street, Suite 106
Montgomery, AL 36130

Alabama's Becoming an Outdoors-Woman workshops have been hailed as great successes. Enthusiastic participants offered many comments, such as:

"All of the sessions were just great! The instructors were very patient and well informed. My confidence level has skyrocketed.  I'm ready for the great outdoors!"

"I really enjoyed the friendships made, the experiences shared, the knowledge learned. Thanks for everything."

"The instructors were what I liked the most! So knowledgeable and friendly."

"Archery was the greatest!  Thanks for giving us this opportunity."

"I liked the leisurely pace of the workshops. We had ample opportunity to be social, relax, and still have plenty of time to learn."

"BOW changed my life four years ago. We had little in common, but my family now spends time together outdoors. I won't miss another BOW!"

The Becoming an Outdoors-Woman workshop may change your life! Enrollment is limited to the first 130 applicants. Don't be left out. Register early!

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
I just heard about this from my husband - his coworker's wife did it. I am thinking of doing it! I live in North Alabama.

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 07:32:59 AM »
Oh and here's a link to the web site too, if anyone else is interested. Registration opens on Monday.

http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/outdoor-adventures/events_for_women/bow/

I'd love to see some TSPers there!

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
I will be there! Can we get a group of TSP ladies in the Southeast to join us?
- Kris from the oil littered coast of the panhandle in FL

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
I'm registering for this TONIGHT. If anyone wants to bunk with another TSP listener, PM me. Can be 4 women per bunkhouse.

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
I'm in the following courses:

Session 1 - — Frontier Skills
Session 2 - — Pistol I
Session 3 - — Backpacking/Hiking
Session 4 - — Pioneer Village Tour

I hope to see some of you there!  :D

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
I will be in Backpacking and Pioneer Tour with you! See you there!

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
I would have loved to go this year but since my schedule seems to packed to breath lately I guess maybe next year I'll try again.

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
They will have it again in the spring...the first weekend in March I believe!

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
Madashell and I ended up rooming together and had a GREAT time at this event. I would recommend it to anyone!

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
This was plugged some months back in the Lady Survivor forum, but I just have to post it here as well.

I just attended "Becoming an Outdoors-Woman" (BOW) here in Alabama. It was my first time attending one of these events, and it was an AMAZING experience. I met one TSP forum member via a roomate request and I met another TSP listener (non-forum member) without even trying (she just happened to be camping next to me). This program is available in many states, and offers women the opportunity to develop outdoors skills in a very non-threatening environment. Each registrant chooses four 3-hour classes they will take over the weekend, and there are mini-classes offered as well in the evenings. Any adult woman who is interested in meeting some great people and trying something new could deeply enjoy one of these events, no matter how little or how much outdoor experience you have. I met some rugged veteran outdoors-women who come because they always feel they can learn something new, as well as a few *high maintenance* ladies who came with hair products and make-up in tow, but were applauded as they pushed themselves outside their comfort zone.

I myself shot pistols (and quite a variety) for the first time ever, loaded and shot a muzzle-loading rifle, started a fire with steel and flint for the first time, and tasted squirrel for the first time. On the other end, I used to love backpacking, but have not been in nearly 10 years (since having kids), and took a backpacking class and learned a lot about the new tools and products that have been developed in the past decade to make it all easier (and easier to break kids into it, in my opinion). There was an optional campout and I brought my own gear and camped... I have spent years telling myself that camping would be too uncomfortable with the back problems developed after a problem pregnancy, and the idea of trying that out with kids was too daunting. But trying it alone seemed reasonable, knowing I could always go sleep back in the bunkhouse if I needed too, and I had no one else to be responsible for. And you know what? It was FINE! I can't sleep on the floor at home without my back having serious problems, but apparently I CAN on the ground outside. I can't wait to take my kids camping now. :)

In addition it was just a GREAT weekend of fellowship with women from all over the region. Women ranged in age from 18 to well into their 60's.

I thought I'd share some of my photos from the event (I wish I had more, but I was too busy having fun!)

That photo looks crazier than it really is. My hand was not actually on fire. Notice the survival bracelet? :) I made it myself after learning about it on TSP.

If you are a woman, GO! If you are a man, tell your wife, adult daughter, or mother to GO! :) The program is different for every state, and not all states have it, but just about everyone in the US has one in driving distance. Just Google "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" plus your state's name.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:04:02 AM by Dagny »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
These programs are awesome.

They're offered frequently here in SEMO, & I've heard nothing but positive reviews from ladies who've attended.

I hope the ladies here will take advantage of one of these classes if they're offered close to your location.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »
By the looks of it you had a great time.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
I really would like to take one of these classes though there are none in my state there is one in my next state. But what I would really like is to take it with my husband. Does anyone know of any couple classes or co-ed class/camps like this?

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
I am hoping to finally take at least a workshop but so far there is nothing listed beyond this past weekend. I'll keep checking though.

Offline sheeplady

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
That is wonderful info ~ thanks so much for sharing!

Offline Slomad

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »
Sounds awesome! Boulder Outdoor Survival School has an all female 7 day field trip in Utah where they hike off into the wild with a knife, blanket and poncho and learn to survive from an all female instructor group. My wife was dying to go on their next one in August but scheduling didn't work out, so she's waiting to see when their next trip is. I'll send her this one too so she can hopefully find a local class, thanks!